CFP WEEK 2- Auburn at #10

WDE_OxPx_2010

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, DAG said:

If Wisconsin and ND both win out , I can’t see either being left out.

You bring up a good point, but that's where good old human bias comes in via the committee. With the BCS the computers could give a crap how a team looks to the naked eye. I really don't think that Wisconsin will win the BIG 10 just because personally I don't see them taking down Ohio St. as I think they will represent the East. Could happen though. As far as ND I'll be interested to see how the Miami and Stanford games go for them. If they win both they are easily in. To me this kind of season brings up the discussion for an 8 team playoff, having all power 5 conference champions, 1 group of 5 champion, and two at large teams. But thats down the road. 

16 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

You bring up a good point, but that's where good old human bias comes in via the committee. With the BCS the computers could give a crap how a team looks to the naked eye. I really don't think that Wisconsin will win the BIG 10 just because personally I don't see them taking down Ohio St. as I think they will represent the East. Could happen though. As far as ND I'll be interested to see how the Miami and Stanford games go for them. If they win both they are easily in. To me this kind of season brings up the discussion for an 8 team playoff, having all power 5 conference champions, 1 group of 5 champion, and two at large teams. But thats down the road. 

ESPN here with breaking news from the Iowa Hawkeyes:  Ohio State?  Hold my corn and watch this.

24 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

ESPN here with breaking news from the Iowa Hawkeyes:  Ohio State?  Hold my corn and watch this.

Haha hoping they do. But if not there is this also: just going off history. 

93F9EFD4-8CC5-4EFC-AFA2-031500F4864B.jpeg

25 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Haha hoping they do. But if not there is this also: just going off history.

It is a fair point.  That said, Ohio State's record against Iowa looked rather similar before kickoff, before they encountered Iowa's re-enactment of the firebombing of Dresden.

17 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

If we win out we are in. No doubt. There are only 2 coaches stand in our way.............Saban and Gustav 

As much as I want it, I can't see it. If we win them all they will still take a one loss Alabama  over us. 

16 minutes ago, mickeyspano said:

As much as I want it, I can't see it. If we win them all they will still take a one loss Alabama  over us. 

I couldn't bring myself to like this, but I think your right. The turds will always get in because of them being bama., has nothing to do with SOS or anything else.

22 minutes ago, mickeyspano said:

Cite a logical reason behind this thinking besides they are Bama. And don’t even try to say look what happened to tOSU and Penn State . No where near close to the same thing 

18 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

This scenario scares me:

OU wins out 

ND wins out

Wisconsin wins out 

Clemson/Miami wins out

Auburn wins out 

Who gets in?

spoiler alert : it won’t be Alabama 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

This scenario scares me:

OU wins out 

ND wins out

Wisconsin wins out 

Clemson/Miami wins out

Auburn wins out 

Who gets in?

Miami beats ND then Clemson beats Miami

TCU beats OU

OSU beats Wisconsin

Washington wins out

Auburn wins out

Who's in?

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

TCU beats OU

OSU beats Wisconsin

Washington wins out

Auburn wins out

Who's in?

Clemson, TCU, Washington, and Auburn.

Of the two loss teams, Auburn would have the better resume, primarily because of who they beat down the stretch.  Also of note would be the fact that Auburn did not receive a colonoscopy from Iowa.

Washington would have one loss and be the PAC 12 Champion, obvious choice.

Clemson would have one loss and be the ACC Champion, obvious choice.

TCU would have one loss and be the Big 12 Champion, obvious choice.

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

Cite a logical reason behind this thinking besides they are Bama. And don’t even try to say look what happened to tOSU and Penn State . No where near close to the same thing 

There is not one.  There are more logical reasons to include two loss teams, than a one loss, non-SEC Champion Alabama.

55 minutes ago, DAG said:

This scenario scares me:

OU wins out 

ND wins out

Wisconsin wins out 

Clemson/Miami wins out

Auburn wins out 

Who gets in?

To be honest in that scenario I see OU, Clemson, and Wisconsin in easily. At that point it comes down to whether the committee takes Auburn’s schedule strength and conference championship over one loss by one point by ND without a conference championship. It would really blow my mind if our last four games we beat the number one, one and potentially 5/6 team in the nation and be left out. Like I said before, lots of things will be ironed out after this week gets done and it will probably be narrowed down to 6-7 teams. Just gotta win one at a time and let the chips fall where they may. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

TCU beats OU

OSU beats Wisconsin

Washington wins out

Auburn wins out

Who's in?

Clemson 

TCU

Auburn 

Washington 

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

Clemson, TCU, Washington, and Auburn.

Of the two loss teams, Auburn would have the better resume, primarily because of who they beat down the stretch.  Also of note would be the fact that Auburn did not receive a colonoscopy from Iowa.

Washington would have one loss and be the PAC 12 Champion, obvious choice.

Clemson would have one loss and be the ACC Champion, obvious choice.

TCU would have one loss and be the Big 12 Champion, obvious choice.

Same thoughts I had 

23 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

To be honest in that scenario I see OU, Clemson, and Wisconsin in easily. At that point it comes down to whether the committee takes Auburn’s schedule strength and conference championship over one loss by one point by ND without a conference championship. It would really blow my mind if our last four games we beat the number one, one and potentially 5/6 team in the nation and be left out. Like I said before, lots of things will be ironed out after this week gets done and it will probably be narrowed down to 6-7 teams. Just gotta win one at a time and let the chips fall where they may. 

Yep it is intriguing hence why I used this scenario. I like our chances IF we win out but no way shape or form are we an automatic bid.

Oddly enough I seem to remember people making a big deal out of us having to play UT twice back in 04 when we got left out of the BCS and they said at the time we shouldn’t get credit for beating them twice.  Now folks are saying we will get a big boost from beating UGA twice. Now I understand that UT team was not number one or as good as this UGA team but it makes me wonder if we would actually hurt ourselves if we were to beat UGA fairly easily(not likely I know). In other words if we beat them badly the first game then is the committee  less likely to give us credit if we beat them a second time? Just thought it was interesting to think about.

Only one team from Big 10 country....ND or Wisc.

If both win out....Wisc will get the Rose Bowl which is a pretty nice consolation prize. 

Just now, AU64 said:

Only one team from Big 10 country....ND or Wisc.

If both win out....Wisc will get the Rose Bowl which is a pretty nice consolation prize. 

Wait what? If both win out you really think the committee is going to base it on the region? I highly doubt the Madison folks will be content with a rose bowl  vs a playoff bid. Especially if they earned it.

28 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Oddly enough I seem to remember people making a big deal out of us having to play UT twice back in 04 when we got left out of the BCS and they said at the time we shouldn’t get credit for beating them twice.  Now folks are saying we will get a big boost from beating UGA twice. Now I understand that UT team was not number one or as good as this UGA team but it makes me wonder if we would actually hurt ourselves if we were to beat UGA fairly easily(not likely I know). In other words if we beat them badly the first game then is the committee  less likely to give us credit if we beat them a second time? Just thought it was interesting to think about.

BCS was a very different environment.  Media was hyping USC and Oklahoma in the BCS National Championship Game before the season even started.  No one wanted that pesky and meddling Auburn team jumping Oklahoma and ruining the party, except Auburn fans.  Polls, participated in and influenced by media, were an important component of the BCS.

Thus far, the playoff committee has demonstrated that they look at things objectively.  If Auburn wins out, they will have beaten two teams ranked #1 by the playoff committee itself, one of them twice, all within the span of the final four weeks of the season.  Ohio State just got pantsed by an unranked Iowa, and they are still in the top 15.  It does not matter how badly Auburn beats Georgia in either game.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Wait what? If both win out you really think the committee is going to base it on the region? I highly doubt the Madison folks will be content with a rose bowl  vs a playoff bid. Especially if they earned it.

If an undefeated B1G Champion gets left out in favor of a one loss team, any one loss team, there should be an immense uproar.

Archived