I wish we would play McLain in the TE spot

gr82b4au

Canella had a ball hit him in the gut on the first drive of the second half and dropped it. He has dropped every pass but one this year. Give someone else a try. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canella has been a big disappointment. I guess from the looks of things that is why we don't use the tight end, we don't have one that can get open and catch the ball. Wouldn't hurt to give someone else a try.

32 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Canella had a ball hit him in the gut on the first drive of the second half and dropped it. He has dropped every pass but one this year. Give some else a try. 

Evidently, the man sure can block.  

Canella shouldn't have a spot, at least right now anyway. Jalen Harris had 2 passes thrown to him last year, both caught, both TDs. Why they don't use Harris more in the short passing game is beyond me. He can catch and he is big. I thought Chip would actually use him since he "says" he likes to throw to TEs. 

When they were saying earlier that Sal was a matchup nightmare I thought they were talking about the other team's nightmare not ours.  It seems like everything thrown his way hits the ground.  I have always wished we would throw to the TE more but if we do I certainly hope it's to Harris.  And I agree on McLain.  That guy just looks to have some extreme athletic ability.  His catch and run in the spring game was awesome and you have to wonder why he is not being used.  

We dont have a pass catching TE on our roster. Sal is more of a WR than a TE, and has lined up as such. 

We recruited a pass catching TE a few cycles ago. But he was dismissed from the team, as he should of been. Had Mr. Rice behaved himself, I truly believe we would be taking advantage of the TE position. 

Dude just isn't the player we thought he'd be. I agree I think we should definitely use Harris for more than blocking the guy is a big target I feel like he'd be an easy pop pass in the end zone since no one would cover him because he only blocks for us... 

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

McClain would be a nightmare in the slot.

I have been screaming for this on these boards for months now.  McClain has everything you want. Size, speed, and an absolute matchup nightmare for any defense.  If you want to slow down Roquan Smith this weekend just keep pitching dimes to McClain right behind him.  The kid can fly and he is 230 pounds.  If you used someone like this then Thuga would have to resort to more of a nickel and zone defense.  That of course opens the running game up more and gives Auburn the better match up that we want.  But I digress.  We will send everyone deep with no dump off option while Jarrett is getting blitzed like he stole from their families.:angry:

3 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

I thought Chip would actually use him since he "says" he likes to throw to TEs.

There is only two reasons we don't that I can think of. 1 Gus and 2 our tight ends haven't showed in practice that they are reliable. It may be # 1 .

Another thing that's mind-boggling....Why don't you at least give him a chance...It makes zero sense. Can anyone make sense out of it? KD gone and NCM is not doing anything...Make things easier.

I will no longer get on Gus for not utilizing a TE because in the few chances Sal got he dropped the ball. We had Landon Rice but we know how that turned out. But Harris has maybe had 1 ball thrown his way this year and it was on a TE screen lol. Go figure.

That being said, there were some of us on here over the summer saying lets see if Sal can actually play because his offer list was pretty underwhelming. If he was truly a force at TE with those measurables he would not be a 3 star with only a handful of P5 offers (he had a bunch of Group of 5 offers, though). I think we are seeing why his rating and offer list was what it was. 

That being said, he's only a sophomore. He has 2.5 more years to become a weapon for us. He has the measurables to do so.

16 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Another thing that's mind-boggling....Why don't you at least give him a chance...It makes zero sense. Can anyone make sense out of it? KD gone and NCM is not doing anything...Make things easier.

its been things like this for damn near 5 years, and thats why I want him fired, win,lose or draw....he is nothing more than a highly paid, football version of a  very bad vaudeville act

56 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

its been things like this for damn near 5 years, and thats why I want him fired, win,lose or draw....he is nothing more than a highly paid, football version of a  very bad vaudeville act

Yep, more of Gus's inexplicable use of personnel, or lack thereof. Everytime I look at McClain I see that uncoverable tight end that Ole Miss had a couple years ago, whose Name Escapes Me at this moment. I completely agree with bird, that guy would be a matchup nightmare in the slot. Ho hum, but he'll probably transfer for lack of playing time. I'm just waiting for that one. If he does I may have a cerebral hemorrhage. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

McClain would be a nightmare in the slot.

You aren’t kidding. After the spring game (I know it’s a scrimmage) but I felt like NCM and McClain were massive bright spots based on the volume of targets they got. Those two have been absent almost altogether this season. 

I sure would like to know what the coaches saw in Sal’s ability to catch the ball to justify giving him a scholarship.  Poor guy has hands of stone, but he keeps getting targeted. 

38 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yep, more of Gus's inexplicable use of personnel, or lack thereof. Everytime I look at McClain I see that uncoverable tight end that Ole Miss had a couple years ago, whose Name Escapes Me at this moment. I completely agree with bird, that guy would be a matchup nightmare in the slot. Ho hum, but he'll probably transfer for lack of playing time. I'm just waiting for that one. If he does I may have a cerebral hemorrhage. 

Engram, and yes I think McClain could be a nightmare in a similar role.

3 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I sure would like to know what the coaches saw in Sal’s ability to catch the ball to justify giving him a scholarship.  Poor guy has hands of stone, but he keeps getting targeted. 

He has good hands in his highlights, but of course that doesn't show the drops...

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/679218/57e8d7855caa592b281329fa

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

send this to Gus ASAP. Throw him the ball...

Well, we are talking about the same offensive staff (minus Rhett) that had no idea what Pettway brought to the table and only played him as an absolute last resort. Genius’s they are not. 

31 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Well, we are talking about the same offensive staff (minus Rhett) that had no idea what Pettway brought to the table and only played him as an absolute last resort. Genius’s they are not. 

The list goes on and on.  Stanton Truitt went to Monroe near where I live.  Dude killed it in track and was a thick guy like Grant.  Would have been a beast on the WR sweeps in motion.  Single handedly almost took Monroe to the State final in football.  Ole Gus moves him from RB to the slot and forgot about him.  I would have transferred as well.  As good as Lutz and CJ U. were they were underutilized as weapons.  McClain can't sniff the field.  We burnt Devan Barretts redshirt and he can't see the field.  NCM can't buy a pass thrown his way.  Malik Miller must have really angered someone because that young man is not allowed to leave the bench.  Everytime I have seen him run he runs hard.

Gus is the most hard headed coach I have ever seen.  He has some type of mental disorder.

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

We all saw the Spring game, which yes was a glorified practice, but you can't fake athletic talent when you see it.  Gus' mentality is to pigeon hole a kid as the Y reciever and if he can't beat Slayton as a deep ball threat then he can't play.  Use the guy somewhere else Gus.  USE YOUR TALENT TO CREATE MISMATCHES FOR THE DEFENSIVE PERSONNEL.  Gus won't try someone out at another spot once he designates them at one.  Thats why Bubba was always going to be a blocking fullback until he was forced to use him at RB.  The guy is just a dang idiot.  

Sal confidence is shot and unfortunately until he gets some touches it won’t get any better. He does need to catch the ball but I think he needs more than 1 target per 2 games and maybe a short stop here and there just to gain that confidence again.

no clue why McCLain doesn’t play...

Archived