I wish we would play McLain in the TE spot

gr82b4au

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, kd4au said:

There is only two reasons we don't that I can think of. 1 Gus and 2 our tight ends haven't showed in practice that they are reliable. It may be # 1 .

Even when we had TEs that proved they could catch, Lutz and AJ, they weren't used that much. When Chip came in I actually thought that would change. Harris proved he can catch with those 2 TDs last year. The thing is, he is already out there on the field. You would think as much as we have called a run up the middle on 1st down we might, JUST ONCE, fake the dive to the RB and make a quick toss to Harris. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, DAG said:

Sal confidence is shot and unfortunately until he gets some touches it won’t get any better. He does need to catch the ball but I think he needs more than 1 target per 2 games and maybe a short stop here and there just to gain that confidence again.

no clue why McCLain doesn’t play...

This is what I was thinking too. Everything could change for Sal if he could just get a couple catches to get his confidence back. 

3 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yep, more of Gus's inexplicable use of personnel, or lack thereof. Everytime I look at McClain I see that uncoverable tight end that Ole Miss had a couple years ago, whose Name Escapes Me at this moment. I completely agree with bird, that guy would be a matchup nightmare in the slot. Ho hum, but he'll probably transfer for lack of playing time. I'm just waiting for that one. If he does I may have a cerebral hemorrhage. 

Did it ever occur to you that it's inexplicable to you because you know nothing about these kids and that maybe the coaches have a little more knowledge than you or the vast majority of the fan base? The personnel decisions are based on things we don't know about, and shouldn't know about.  Fans just have no idea why certain decisions are made. That goes for all coaches....not just Gus. 

I hate threads like these where a player's name is used and this one's right out there in the title too.  I just think it serves no good purpose.....but it can make the kid and his family feel bad 

47 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Did it ever occur to you that it's inexplicable to you because you know nothing about these kids and that maybe the coaches have a little more knowledge than you or the vast majority of the fan base? The personnel decisions are based on things we don't know about, and shouldn't know about.  Fans just have no idea why certain decisions are made. That goes for all coaches....not just Gus. 

I hate threads like these where a player's name is used and this one's right out there in the title too.  I just think it serves no good purpose.....but it can make the kid and his family feel bad 

If they are that much of a snowflake that they can't take criticism over their lack of production, they have NO BUSINESS playing football in the SEC. 

This is big boy football. Not Pop Warner where they care more about feelings. 

At this level, you produce or you will have people talking about things like this. 

17 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

If they are that much of a snowflake that they can't take criticism over their lack of production, they have NO BUSINESS playing football in the SEC. 

At this level, you produce or you will have people talking about things like this. 

I disagree. It has nothing to do with being a snowflake. It has everything to do with being respectful of others especially when you have no idea of the circumstances. The players are college kids....

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

We all saw the Spring game, which yes was a glorified practice, but you can't fake athletic talent when you see it.  Gus' mentality is to pigeon hole a kid as the Y reciever and if he can't beat Slayton as a deep ball threat then he can't play.  Use the guy somewhere else Gus.  USE YOUR TALENT TO CREATE MISMATCHES FOR THE DEFENSIVE PERSONNEL.  Gus won't try someone out at another spot once he designates them at one.  Thats why Bubba was always going to be a blocking fullback until he was forced to use him at RB.  The guy is just a dang idiot.  

There's no rhyme or reason to it. Dude is paranoid of freshman rb's fumbling but doesn't give a second thought of the adverse effects of running the same plays repeatedly. Isn't KJ more likely to get injured or fumble with all the carries that he gets than for Barrett, Martin, or Miller to fumble with a few carries? I would think so. He honestly thinks bringing Barrett out only to do a swing pass every time is good yet it gets sniffed out every time. Stove is not the deep threat that Gus wants him to be or just hasn't shown it yet....give Iggy or McClain a try. He insists on working harder not smarter. I saw that Kodi said that McClain has a maturity problem but that's it....

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

I disagree. It has nothing to do with being a snowflake. It has everything to do with being respectful of others especially when you have no idea of the circumstances. The players are college kids....

Sorry, but 18-24 year olds aren't "kids." 

My 13 year old and 8 year old are "kids." 

What's next? Stop criticising NFL players because they too are kids? No. You come to a big boy league, prepare to be critiqued like a big boy. That includes not being all sensitive over someone calling you out for not performing. 

And I'm a fan of Sal. I think he has just lost his confidence. But people are too dang sensitive these days. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me is never seen or heard anymore. It should be, but people are too worried to hurt someone's feelings. What a crock of... well... this is a family friendly site, so I won't finish that.

We need to pass more. # 3 needs more targets. If McClain is not even on the field, there has to be a problem or he isn't getting it done in practice. But more passes to who ever can perform is what I want. 

I'll probably be shot for this, but I have zero problem with our offense not throwing to a TE often because this offense doesn't line up with a TE the vast majority of the time. I'm fine if you want to line a player that is ostensibly a TE up in the slot and have them run up the seam like OU does with Mark Andrews, but that's more of a case of finding a big body to line up as a WR than actually utilizing a TE.

7 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Even when we had TEs that proved they could catch, Lutz and AJ, they weren't used that much. When Chip came in I actually thought all that would change. Harris proved he can catch with those 2 TDs last year. The thing is, he is already out there on the field. You would think as much as we have called a run up the middle on 1st down we might, just ONE time, fake the dive to the RB and make a quick toss to Harris. 

I can tell you why our TE's are not utilized in one word...Gus.

18 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I have been screaming for this on these boards for months now.  McClain has everything you want. Size, speed, and an absolute matchup nightmare for any defense.  If you want to slow down Roquan Smith this weekend just keep pitching dimes to McClain right behind him.  The kid can fly and he is 230 pounds.  If you used someone like this then Thuga would have to resort to more of a nickel and zone defense.  That of course opens the running game up more and gives Auburn the better match up that we want.  But I digress.  We will send everyone deep with no dump off option while Jarrett is getting blitzed like he stole from their families.:angry:

This sounds too much like real game planning....not sure we are there yet. Really, I would like to know our coaches thinking on using the TE and personnel matchups. I agree 100% with NGT on using the TE effectively in our offense.

10 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

"...college kids...."? I would offer that in the IVY league college kids play football. We have not seen "college kids" in football since maybe the 60's. This is a high dollar process that feeds the NFL. The term "amateur athlete" was  created by the NCAA to justify their existence. I would "respectfully" offer an entirely opposite assessment of how we view college football and its players and their goals for attending college nowadays. I also wouldn't focus too much on the term "snowflake".

This in no way should be used to demean the worth or value of players attending college. Many would not even gain entry into college without sports. Having to attend college is actually a beneficial part of this process that I believe has value and is uplifting to the individual and society. But make no mistake, these participants are not kids.

There may be underlying issues that we as fans simply do not know about.  Just because he has all of the physical attributes does not mean they translate.  Look at Byron Cowart.  It is possible in practice the guy is having trouble remembering the playbook, or can't catch.  We need to give the benefit of the doubt because for the longest time we have been saying to play Canella, but it has become obvious the reason why we have not seen him much is due to the drops.  There is still time for McClain to be a stud for us.  He has three more years.

I think part of the problem is in the off season Gus brought in a Coordinator who is known for having an offense that throws to the TE and we were led to believe that is what would happen. So our expectations are to see SOME (more than 3-4 during 9 games) throws to the TE, however that hasn't happened and that is a big part of our disgust with Gus because we had greater expectations and he seems to have reverted back to stubborn, do it his way Gus. These "kids" are old enough to vote, old enough to drink, old enough to join the military and old enough to make babies. They aren't kids any more, that sounds like a mother's description of her children, it just isn't being realistic. :dunno:

It's not like he doesn't know he needs to play better anyway. Let's not insult his intelligence. He knows he can't have the dropsies like that if he's only getting a handful of targets to begin with.

He's just a sophomore. Yes, Gus' history with TE's is worrisome but I'm willing to give this kid some time to figure it out. He wasn't some super sought after prospect so it's fair to assume he's going to need some time to develop IMO.

14 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I don't know why you're attacking me, but next time Gus is over at your house maybe you can get him to explain to you why we play a whole damn football game with one running back, or why when you had one quarterback that was evidently a behavioral problem, and  the other had already proven he was not an SEC caliber quarterback, and you go out and recruit one in the off-season that couldn't even start at his own Junior College? I could go on and on about his Personnel decisions but I would just leave it at that. 

15 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I would imagine this kids parents probably are wondering why their  6'2"- 230lb child with outstanding speed cannot get on the field, other than on Special teams. At least, that would be my guess.

Most would think that this game and the Iron Bowl would be great opportunities to throw some different personnel groups. Most being the key word.

19 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Sorry, but 18-24 year olds aren't "kids." 

My 13 year old and 8 year old are "kids." 

What's next? Stop criticising NFL players because they too are kids? No. You come to a big boy league, prepare to be critiqued like a big boy. That includes not being all sensitive over someone calling you out for not performing. 

And I'm a fan of Sal. I think he has just lost his confidence. But people are too dang sensitive these days. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me is never seen or heard anymore. It should be, but people are too worried to hurt someone's feelings. What a crock of... well... this is a family friendly site, so I won't finish that.

They most certainly are kids.  Some of them are teenagers. All of them still have physical and mental development that is still in the process of growing and maturing abeing nd this is especially true of the male gender. Human males are not considered adults until they are  24 or 25.  Go look it up.

Why do you feel entitled to publicly criticize a hard working college student? Why do you think it's OK? Why do you believe it's a totally acceptable thing to call him out? 

It has NOTHING to do with being sensitive. It just isn't a decent thing to do and I will stand by that opinion. 

10 hours ago, auskull said:

"...college kids...."? I would offer that in the IVY league college kids play football. We have not seen "college kids" in football since maybe the 60's. This is a high dollar process that feeds the NFL. The term "amateur athlete" was  created by the NCAA to justify their existence. I would "respectfully" offer an entirely opposite assessment of how we view college football and its players and their goals for attending college nowadays. I also wouldn't focus too much on the term "snowflake".

This in no way should be used to demean the worth or value of players attending college. Many would not even gain entry into college without sports. Having to attend college is actually a beneficial part of this process that I believe has value and is uplifting to the individual and society. But make no mistake, these participants are not kids.

Once again.....medical science disagrees with you. Humans do not reach physical and mental maturity at age 18. 

22 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

At this level? They are COLLEGE STUDENTS and most of them just want a degree. That does not give you free reign to tear them down especially since you have no idea what you are talking about anyway. I believe you prove my point about male immaturity. 

3 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

At this level? They are COLLEGE STUDENTS and most of them just want a degree. That does not give you free reign to tear them down especially since you have no idea what you are talking about anyway. I believe you prove my point about male immaturity. 

I haven't torn aby one down. I haven't spoken badly about anyone. 

However that doesn't change the fact college athletes ARE NOT KIDS. Like i said, my 13 year old and 8 year old are kids. 

And you couldn't be further from the truth. Every single scholarship athlete that signs with an SEC program isn't just a college student wanting a degree, they are wanting to be professional athletes. If they are just wanting a degree, they go to smaller schools, not the SEC which is NFL lite. 

I get the whole student athlete thing. I get that every one of them KNOWS they can't play football forever, but you are out of your mind if you think every, a majority, or even a minority of the SEC scholarship athletes "just want a degree." 

You sign a football scholarship with a SEC program, you think you are good enough to make it to the NFL. You HAVE to be that confident. And things come with signing with a big name program, and criticism is one of them. 

Right now he doesn't get any touches because he doesn't get playing time. But if you put him at TE he still won't get any touches. 

I think it could be a great move but innovative thinking is not something our offensive staff has an over abundance of.

11 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Once again.....medical science disagrees with you. Humans do not reach physical and mental maturity at age 18. 

Tigerbelle, just curious, what is the age? Or is there a range of ages that, say 90% reach mental maturity and what characteristics disclose that one is mentally mature? Can you evaluate our offensive coaching staff and report back?

Archived