Pearl's Job in Jeopardy

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

I think it really goes beyond that.  I would bet if we get an AD from the outside he will be the first one let go.  Only a nancy like JJ would allow for his conduct.  Also, the man  holds a grudge.  

I have no idea....just hear the rumors and complaints and don't know the other side of the issues...but you could be right.  The Athletic Department is a gossip mill and I don't believe much of what I hear from there. :dunno:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If Schlablauch is right, there is still seriously wrong with the situation. Bruce Pearl shouldn’t need a lawyer’s blessing to speak to his own employer. If Pearl is refusing to cooperate with his own boss, then something isn’t right. Am I right @TitanTiger?

We are talking about an internal investigation, not a civil or criminal investigation.

This is an interesting situation.  On the one hand you have a federal investigation going on.  Pearl has a personal attorney and from what I understand, the advice of his attorney is that he doesn't speak to anyone on this matter until the FBI investigation is done.  

On the other hand, Auburn is doing an internal investigation more geared toward NCAA bylaws and such.  So they want Pearl and other assistants to talk to them on the matter.  If you're in Pearl's position, do you listen to the advice of your attorney or do you obey the wishes of your employer?

What needs to happen here is for Auburn to cool its jets a little.  Ultimatums and leaking stuff to the press is more of a dick-measuring contest than it is anything designed to do what's best for Auburn.  Pearl will talk but it is understandable why an attorney would tell his client not to say anything until the Feds are done.

25 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

On the other hand, Auburn is doing an internal investigation more geared toward NCAA bylaws and such.  So they want Pearl and other assistants to talk to them on the matter.  If you're in Pearl's position, do you listen to the advice of your attorney or do you obey the wishes of your employer?

Pearl should definitely look after himself and follow his lawyer’s wishes. The Auburn AD should be understanding and not try to interfere with the FBI investigation or even complicate the investigation, because if true, they are the ones looking bad in this, not Bruce.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Pearl should definitely look after himself and follow his lawyer’s wishes. The Auburn AD should be understanding and not try to interfere with the FBI investigation or even complicate the investigation, because if true, they are the ones looking bad in this, not Bruce.

I tend to agree.  I understand Auburn's position, but no person of intelligence is going to go against the advice of counsel in a possible criminal matter, even if they fully believe they've done nothing wrong.  The stakes are too high.  And Rich McGlynn should understand this and be handling it differently.

As much as this pains me, if I'm Bruce I'm trying to wash my hands of Auburn. Not only is this FBI garbage all in my face but my employer is threatening me with my job? Pearl can coach somewhere without this headache.

14 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I tend to agree.  I understand Auburn's position, but no person of intelligence is going to go against the advice of counsel in a possible criminal matter, even if they fully believe they've done nothing wrong.  The stakes are too high.  And Rich McGlynn should understand this and be handling it differently.

JMO but IF....and we don't know this....BP is not cooperating on matters concerning a possible NCAA issue I'm thinking that Auburn has the option to put him on paid leave or something.    That's what went on with CP.  

As for the comment about AU looking bad.....gotta disagree ....or at least disagree about the reason.  The only reason AU is looking bad is because it's possible that an high visibility employee has done something illegal or committed an NCAA violation.  

This is serious business on all sides and I don't see how AU can just move on for however long it takes the  FBI to finish it's investigation....which could be years.   If this were some other type issue....say domestic violence, there would be no waiting around to see what the investigation showed.   

The fact that the school is looking out for its own interests is nothing to be ashamed of. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but nobody has the right to hide behind "FBI investigation" and use that as a justification for not being honest / open with an employer. 

I agree somewhat ~ The Auburn Administration and Compliance are obviously pressing BP to cooperate.  I don't blame them, their job is to protect Auburn first and foremost and they need total disclosure so that they can plan, organize, and control a very serious situation. 

Bruce Pearl has been advised by his private counsel to not cooperate, answer questions, or participate with Auburn until the FBI investigation is completed, which could take month's and month's.  

If Pearl 's choice is to adhere to the advice of his private counsel, then Auburn may have no choice but to cut ties with their employee or at minimum withhold pay or temporary suspend him until AU obtains the information they seek.  Auburn needs full disclosure so that they can plan accordingly and protect Auburn.

24 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

McGlynn is still butt hurt about comments Bruce made about Purifoy situation from 2 years ago, IMO.

AU Basketball is in real trouble (not much of a shock I know) for many years to come because of this mess. Chuck Person has destroyed everything.

McGlynn is still butt hurt about comments Bruce made about Purifoy situation from 2 years ago, IMO.

What did Pearl say?

6 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Hmm. Piss off the Feds vs piss off Auburn University.

BP "Sorry Auburn, I'll get back to you"

I'm on the fence about this whole thing.

But if I were Auburn University and an employee took that position, then I'd have that employee take a good long look at that logo on his very substantial paycheck.  Then I'd ask him to reconsider his position one more time before he chose to take that cold, hard stance against his employers requests for cooperation.

Bottom line, coaches come and go - Auburn University is here to stay.

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

But if I were Auburn University and an employee took that position, then I'd have that employee take a good long look at that logo on his very substantial paycheck.  Then I'd ask him to reconsider his position one more time before he chose to take that cold, hard stance against his employers requests for cooperation.

But if you were that coach and your attorney was telling you no way you talk to anyone about any of this while the Feds are doing a criminal investigation, you'd tell the writer of that very substantial paycheck to pound sand and I'll just go back to commentating on basketball games for a nice paycheck.  Those times where a client bravely goes against their attorney's advice at great personal risk and an uncertain outcome?  That is s*** you see on TV and in movies.  In the real world, 99.99% of people are smarter than that.

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What did Pearl say?

From memory he disagreed with compliance because the NCAA/clearing house said he was good but Compliance held him anyway.

It's one thing to put pressure on Pearl internally, it's another to have this leaked to national media. This is just stupid by Auburn administration IMO. Both sides are doing what they believe to be in their best interest, why make the situation worse by leaking this?

From memory he disagreed with compliance because the NCAA/clearing house said he was good but Compliance held him anyway.

Oh yeah I forgot about the whole DP test score thing. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

Piss off Auburn-Get fired, go work for a network.

Piss off the Feds-Say hello to 'Club Fed'.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Oh yeah I forgot about the whole DP test score thing. Thanks.

So...who was right ?  

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But if you were that coach and your attorney was telling you no way you talk to anyone about any of this while the Feds are doing a criminal investigation, you'd tell the writer of that very substantial paycheck to pound sand.  Those times where a client bravely goes against their attorney's advice at great personal risk and an uncertain outcome?  That is s*** you see on TV and in movies.  In the real world, 99.99% of people are smarter than that.

I see your side Titan, I really do.

AU is paying BP a top SEC salary (+/- $2.5mm/yr), they've already paid him close to $7.5mill for a 44-54 record and the program finds itself in the midst of an FBI investigation and likely a looming NCAA investigation will follow in the heels of the Feds.

Now, the Auburn Administration & Compliance have a huge task ahead of them.  They must do everything in their power to gain full disclosure from every employee involved in order to protect AU and possibly build their own defense case should this go before the NCAA.   

What I fail to understand is why should Auburn be held hostage by an employee they are paying $2.5mm/yr and while he continues to pull that hefty salary he simultaneously tells Auburn to pound sand?  

Just now, keesler said:

I see your side Titan, I really do.

AU is paying BP a top SEC salary (+/- $2.5mm/yr), they've already paid him close to $7.5mill for a 44-54 record and the program finds itself in the midst of an FBI investigation and likely a looming NCAA investigation will follow in the heels of the Feds.

Now, the Auburn Administration & Compliance have a huge task ahead of them.  They must do everything in their power to gain full disclosure from every employee involved in order to protect AU and possibly build their own defense case should this go before the NCAA.   

What I fail to understand is why should Auburn be held hostage by an employee they are paying $2.5mm/yr and while he continues to pull that hefty salary he simultaneously tells Auburn to pound sand?  

Because there is no pressing need for them to do this on the timeframe and the scope they are asking for right now.  It has become a pissing contest rather than a necessary impasse.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Because there is no pressing need for them to do this on the timeframe and the scope they are asking for right now.  It has become a pissing contest rather than a necessary impasse.

Got it!  I'll take your word for it then, as I have no inside knowledge.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So...who was right ?  

I'm going to try to look at this objectively. From the outside looking in, it's sketchball city that his test scores miraculously jumped so high after initially not making the cut -- I don't remember the actual discrepancy between the scores but I remember it being enough to raise a red flag with me.

Now I'm not sure how this works but if the NCAA cleared him does that mean he is good to go for now, but if they found something out later they could force AU to forfeit games that he played in? I understand AU being careful because of the scores. But I'm not clear on why we held him out if the NCAA said he was fine.

Just now, keesler said:

Don't get me wrong.  At some point, Pearl needs to sit down with Auburn and discuss things.  If Auburn was willing to limit the scope of the questions to things acceptable to Pearl's counsel, it might give them enough right now to move forward and feel good.  But they want no limits and Pearl's attorney is smart to balk at it.  It's not Auburn's desire to speak with him I have a problem with, it's the posturing, media leaks and ultimatum stuff that is making this a heated situation when it doesn't have to be.

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Don't get me wrong.  At some point, Pearl needs to sit down with Auburn and discuss things.  If Auburn was willing to limit the scope of the questions to things acceptable to Pearl's counsel, it might give them enough right now to move forward and feel good.  But they want no limits and Pearl's attorney is smart to balk at it.  It's not Auburn's desire to speak with him I have a problem with, it's the posturing, media leaks and ultimatum stuff that is making this a heated situation when it doesn't have to be.

You clarified a lot, thanks.

There is no way to describe my irritation with the media leaks, and to freaking ESPN/Schlabach of all people. :angry:

35 minutes ago, keesler said:

Not so sure about Titan's view.... we are getting ready to start a season and would be nice to know that there are no more NCAA issues out there....as with the players who are being held out for possible problems.   Seems that under the current conditions with BP, there is no way for the school the "clear" them. 

It should be possible to have a meeting of the minds about which questions to ask and answer.  That should be doable.   Just let BP's guy tell him what to answer and what not to answer. ...and if AU thinks  BP is being unnecessarily evasive the school can do what ever it thinks it needs to do. .  

I don't like the leaks in DC and I don't like the leaks in Auburn but I guess there are some people who think they are doing God's work and trying to bring out the truth.  Whatever,  it's done and it ain't going away now.  I  can't see how AU is hurt by  pushing forward....and in my case at least, Auburn University is my primary concern. 

Archived