Favorite game day superstition

aubiefifty

superstition? you know, the ones you hold out for the biggest game of the year? i guess mine is turning off the phone during the game so some friend will not be crowing we beat em before the game is over and jinx us. i have had that happen at least twice i can remember big games. so not i just turn my cell phone off. but with our record against our two biggest rivals i might need a better one ............

Not going to Tiger Walk. I went to three Tiger Walks during the 2012 season and lost those three games. Then in 2013, I just never got around to going even though I kept meaning to. But by the Georgia game that season, I was way too scared to rock the boat so I didn’t end up going to one that season...and we all know how those games turned out :hellyeah:

So now it’s a superstition of mine and I never go anymore. I’m taking one for the team by looking out for the team ?

No phone during game. Text only. Special shirt and 26 yr old AU sweat bands   ?

I have a routine for home games. I wake up about 2 hours before for the wife. I turn on gameday and prep food for the tailgate. Then I load it up. It's not really a crazy superstition, but it's something I do every home game. 

27 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I had a lucky shirt I wore for every game in 2010. Its not lucky anymore.

I had a lucky hat that year which is no longer lucky anymore. 

I was pretty superstitious for years when it came to AU... shirts, hats, where I stood etc. I remember many years ago I walked outside to get a beer and we scored so I watched the entire second half through a screen on the patio. Wore the same shirt every game in 2010. Then after trying everything I could in 2014, 15, and even 16 -  I FINALLY, after all these years, realized that the shirt I am wearing will not help the team get a win. What a downer. Maybe it really is about the coaching and the players. haha

I got a free auburneagle.com bracelet at an ADAY game from the ae tent a few years back.  My dad's last time in Auburn.  I kept it on throughout the season and if anyone remembers, we won it all that year.  I took it off and placed it in my safe after that game winning field goal.  I didn't take it out of the safe again until my dad passed in 2012.  He was buried with it.  There will never be one to top that for me.

Now everyone quit cutting onions...

I'm starting a new trend this weekend.  I'm wearing my Griswold 00 jersey.  If we win, it'll definitely stay on the rest of the season.

I had this really random NIKE (I guess I got it at walmart or somewhere since we have NEVER been a Nike School) Auburn Basketball shirt that I wore for every game during the 2010 season. I obviously retired it and I framed it and gave it to my Miss St alum high school best friend as a gag gift the following year for his birthday.  He actually took it like a champ and he still has it hanging in his bathroom to this day! He says it is to remind him how close miss st was to a national title that year. He says he wishes they would of just paid Cam the 180k! lol.

Our family has some. I,like others, had a lucky t shirt that I wore every game in 2010 (a random Atlanta Silverbacks shirt from before they folded the first time). Also made it a point to come to my parents house for every game (still do, now that I'm back in GA). Even braved the 2011 blizzard here to come over, took 40 minutes to go the 5 miles. 

This year, thought I had found a lucky hoodie but it fizzled at LSU. Still going to wear it. 

My mom's got an Auburn mug she drinks from the game day morning, as does my cousin (not the same mug, that would be weird). We have lucky auburn tervis glasses that must be drunk from during the game. We also have lucky pizza that I will be breaking out, some cheap store brand from Food Depot that's surprisingly good and seems to have some mojo seasoning. 

This year, my mom's taken to watching it on her Kindle instead of the TV. Which is good, because whenever she comes downstairs something terrible happens, and when she walks off we score. 

I also play Mojo Chairs and switch spots if it's not going well. Last week I ended up standing by the front door for most of the second half because every time I moved we did a stupid. 

Oh, and I never do the lookalike or score prediction threads. . I never even click on it. Last time I accidentally did was the 2014 a&m game. 

This year, as a laugh, I opened the bye week lookalike. Then the next day was when I saw the Pettway news. It's bad juju. 

I️ I keep my shakers from really big games. Before the game I will look over my shakers and take the one I think we need depending on if I think we need luck, great defense or possibly a miracle!  I may take the kick six shaker to this game!

Obviously, scientifically, none of these "special ceremonies" (i.e., superstitions) actually work any better than the non-superstitious control group, which is people who just watch with no special routines or accessories.

Which is about the same effectiveness as ---- other superstitions. That's why they are called superstitions (a belief in some supernatural power invoked to achieve a particular result, like praying in front of a TV set or chugging 17 Pabst while singing a fight song).

That said, I have my own peculiar superstitions. I watch with remote in hand, so if something bad happens, I can switch channels immediately, then return in a few minutes to discover that it wasn't so bad after all -- or not. And if Auburn looks destined to lose, I turn it off and go read or listen to music, superstitiously thinking a miracle might happen and Auburn might win after all.

My superstitions don't work any better than any of those mentioned above.

When my mom passed away in 2009, my sister had this necklace made for the girls in the family for Christmas. On one side was a picture of my mother and words that said,"Whisper my name and I will be in your heart." and on the other side was the picture that is my avatar. It is from when my mother was Miss Auburn back in 1951. In the background was the sheet music for the Auburn alma mater. For every game in 2010, I wore that necklace. I would kiss it and clutch it in my hands on big plays. I said many a prayer over it that season. I really felt a connection with her throughout that season. Time has passed and I've forgotten to wear it recently. I can't believe it has been 8 years since she passed. I think I will wear it on Saturday. She loved Auburn more than anyone I know. I'll be talking to her during the game on Saturday. I hope she's not too busy up there to listen!

During the Game seat position is the key 

we control the games you just have to get the mush out of the room and find what seasting position works

I drink my morning coffee from my Auburn coffee mug, I wear the same Auburn cap on big games since 2010(forgot it at this years LSU game...so blame me for the loss) and if we are driving in a close game I get out of my chair and crouch behind it while watching over the back of the chair.

5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I have one but I think people would be like “what the heck” so I won’t share it lol

Boo.

Sparkly face tat. Certain earrings, shaker,  and shirts. I also have to mix a drink before kick off and be in my seat to watch the hype videos. It drives my husband CRAZY because I make our tailgate shut down early so we don’t miss it. 

38 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Boo.

Sparkly face tat. Certain earrings, shaker,  and shirts. I also have to mix a drink before kick off and be in my seat to watch the hype videos. It drives my husband CRAZY because I make our tailgate shut down early so we don’t miss it. 

It may be a little bit too much of a “TMI” for some which is why I didn’t lol

Archived