Kerry's running style

creed

How would you describe it? For me sometimes he reminds me of Le'Veon Bell, very patient to allow time to let blocks develop, and once blocks are established knows how to run off the butts (industry term...lol) of his lineman

As a Steelers fan, I watch LB a lot and KJ definitely reminds me of his style.

KJ has said he watches LB and emulates his style.

I said this same thing in a post earlier this off season. Last year Johnaon was on Twitter gushing about Bell and how much he has revolutionized the run game with his unique style. I really believe Johnson was purposely tried to mimick it and it is working. He is running better right now than he has in any of the previous years. 

I always felt like he was gliding...not in a hurry just looking for the opening......but yesterday he delivered some blows to the Georgia DBs and buried a couple of them.   Power or smooth.....he's got it all.. 

22 minutes ago, EagleReedle said:

i heard the leveon comparison ad nauseam last night and it is true. For me, he is just sheer athleticism a very special talent. 

Take a shot every time you heard it and you wouldn’t be able to feel your face. They are right though, Kerryon does have patience and stop and go ability. Sometimes he’s so patient, I get concerned that if he doesn’t get moving, that he won’t make it back to the LOS.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Take a shot every time you heard it and you wouldn’t be able to feel you’re face. They are right though, Kerryon does have patience and stop and go ability. Sometimes he’s so patient, I get concerned that if he doesn’t get moving, that he won’t make it back to the LOS.

I feel the same way about Lev when I watch him but he always ends up getting back.

He's very unique to any RB I've seen at Auburn. The only one I've seen who had the ability to be as patient was Cadillac. Tre Mason, Kenny Irons, Rudy Johnson were always quick to the hole. 

22 minutes ago, wareagleguy said:

As a Steelers fan, I watch LB a lot and KJ definitely reminds me of his style.

KJ has said he watches LB and emulates his style.

Steeler guy all the way too. Never too much LB ad nauseam lol.

the only difference is KJ is more mature even at an earlier age. ))

KJ is getting better. 

22 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Steeler guy all the way too. Never too much LB ad nauseam lol.

the only difference is KJ is more mature even at an earlier age. ))

KJ is getting better. 

Agree, KJ has quieted his detractors this season.

And just think about his stats and that he missed two games! 

Which, may actually be to our advantage now . . . are the stars aligning?!

I nervously busted out the Bell comparison earlier this season but it can't be denied after last night. And, given that KJ has always had a reputation as a cerebral player, I wouldn't be surprised if he has very deliberately tried to copy Leveon's game.

Bell comparison has been made for a while now. Just so happen Gary started picking it up. Any runner with patients and can jump step through the pile will start getting that comparison now. Kind of like if you are big and black at QB, you typically get the Cam Newton comparison.

Lots of jump cuts and excellent awareness. There's a play from last night where he threw a stiff arm aimed at a tacklers ARM and it allowed him to slip through for an additional nine yards.

It's what we always refer to as the game being slower for special athletes. He sees everything so well he's able to react in abnormal ways. He's also a very intelligent runner. Always seems to see players coming that he shouldn't be able to physically see.

The crazy thing is he's probably even better when he's not running up the middle every play and that's primarily what he's been asked to do. 

Lots of mental toughness for a back to constantly go up the middle for 30+ carries against a Georgia defense.

And KJ has touched the ball almost 1200 times, and I wonder how many fumbles has he had? probably very few, and think how many times he has run between the tackles getting hit by DL, DEs, LBs...

amazing, but not surprising why we keep him in there. Wonder if he would have made any difference in the Clemson game?

If you'd've told me in the preseason we were gonna workhorse KJ instead of KP,  I would have figured all is lost. He showed a tendency to be a large, slow, upright target when he hit the hole and his yards were hard to come by. Boy I would've been wrong. He's gelling with the o'line nicely, following the blockers, making first couple guys miss. It's a thing of beauty. One of the most improved players I've seen. What seems missing though- and not just with Kerryon- is speed. We don't seem to break away anywhere on the field. I'll take it though. Kudos for KJ.

KJ has improved his inside running ability.  His improvement on his 1-cut ability in the hole has been incredible.  Normally that’s very difficult to coach or train to be a different type runner.  So kudos to him on continuing to work to get better.  Before he was trying to use angles and head fakes now he 1-cuts and is better running behind his pads.  Gaining 4-5 yards on a tackle in the box instead of 2-3.  That’s huge in the grand scheme of moving the chains.

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

If you'd've told me in the preseason we were gonna workhorse KJ instead of KP,  I would have figured all is lost. He showed a tendency to be a large, slow, upright target when he hit the hole and his yards were hard to come by. Boy I would've been wrong. He's gelling with the o'line nicely, following the blockers, making first couple guys miss. It's a thing of beauty. One of the most improved players I've seen. What seems missing though- and not just with Kerryon- is speed. We don't seem to break away anywhere on the field. I'll take it though. Kudos for KJ.

Lack of breakaway speed is an issue but KJ seems to have enough to go the distance with some blockers to help out.....and he does know how to put the ball in the end zone. 

26 minutes ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

Darren McFadden. Same build and same skill set. Unfortunately, same type of injury history as well.

Gus and Horton tried to tell us that when he signed, but nobody would listen.

I won't be surprised if there's another passing td in his future.

He’s really worked over the offseason to improve his running style.  He runs much lower, more compact and with deliberate bursts.  Earlier in his career he really left his ankles and knees exposed.  He really seems to have figured out when to give up and go down.

KJ has a uncanny ability to see. He does not have tunnel vision, he sees a significant portion of the field, and can predict how the flow of the play is going to happen.

Archived