Next year's team

shabby

He doesn't get a ton of love on this forum, but Carlton Davis has been getting a ton of attention from pro scouts. His measurables are similar to Richard Sherman. I wouldn't be surprised if he went first or second round after the season, especially if he finishes strong.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's look at the depth chart for next year with the unlikely assumption that no one leaves early.

QB

- Jarrett Stidham / Jr.

- Malik Willis / So.

- Joey Gatewood / Fr.

RB

- Kerryon Johnson / Sr.

- Kamryn Pettway / Sr.

- Kam Martin / Jr.

- Malik Miller / So.

- Shaun Shivers & Asa Martin Freshman

HB

- Chandler Cox / Sr.

- Spencer Nigh / Jr.

*We do lose 4 seniors on the Offensive Line*

LT

- Prince Wanogho / Jr.

LG

- Mike Horton / Jr.

- Marquel Harrell / Jr.

C

- Jalil Irvin / Fr.

RG

- Kameron Stutts / Fr.

RT

- Calvin Ashley / So.

WR

- Eli Stove, Nate Craig-Meyers, and Darius Slayton / Jr.

- Ryan Davis / Sr.

So for the offense we look pretty good minus the o-line which is a pretty big concern. Surprised we haven't made a bigger push in recruiting that position.

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Let's look at the depth chart for next year with the unlikely assumption that no one leaves early.

QB

- Jarrett Stidham / Jr.

- Malik Willis / So.

- Joey Gatewood / Fr.

RB

- Kerryon Johnson / Sr.

- Kamryn Pettway / Sr.

- Kam Martin / Jr.

- Malik Miller / So.

- Shaun Shivers & Asa Martin Freshman

HB

- Chandler Cox / Sr.

- Spencer Nigh / Jr.

*We do lose 4 seniors on the Offensive Line*

LT

- Prince Wanogho / Jr.

LG

- Mike Horton / Jr.

- Marquel Harrell / Jr.

C

- Jalil Irvin / Fr.

RG

- Kameron Stutts / Fr.

RT

- Calvin Ashley / So.

WR

- Eli Stove, Nate Craig-Meyers, and Darius Slayton / Jr.

- Ryan Davis / Sr.

So for the offense we look pretty good minus the o-line which is a pretty big concern. Surprised we haven't made a bigger push in recruiting that position.

Did Calvin not get the redshirt?

6 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Did Calvin not get the redshirt?

Not too positive. I simply went off the Depth Chart.

O line concerns me but we got a ton to choose from. By midseason Asa Martin will be #2. Possibly #1.  Pettway might be better off as fullback. ( I think he's easily better than Cox) QB and receivers will be awesome. Safety concerns me. Draft could hurt. If I'm Jeff Holland I'm gone. 

Tega LT

Horton LG

Kim C

Harrell RG

Sammons RT 

Ashley backing up both tackles.  *edit if Ashley comes in at spring practice at 315-320 watch out but if he’s 340 or above no chance at starting.

Carr backing up both guards.  

Brahms or true freshman Irvin backing up Kim.   Center is the huge question.  

2 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

He is the best player in the SEC but I am not sure he will project as a top 5 back.  Guice, Harris, BArkley, USC rb Jones I believe, and the 2 kids at UGA prob are projected higher than KJ atm.  I am not saying that they are better rb than KJ but they project better at the next level.  This is the first year KJ has showed what he can do with carrying the load.  He was injured early in the year and has not had a full season where he is healthy yet.  KJ is running with pure heart and determination which is a thing of beauty to watch.  He reminds me of how Tre ran in 13 not running style wise just the pure heart and determination he is running with.  Also sometimes kids want to stay in college.  I am not saying KJ has told anyone he will stay no matter what, but he is a very good kid and the type of kid who would stick around.  Caddy and Ronnie both decided to come back in 04 even though they were not getting the type of hype KJ is right now I believe they were both projected to be drafted and Caddy I believe was a 2nd round projection. It is pretty much a given KP will be back next year and if both could stay healthy KJ would not have to carry the load.  Also we have a couple of pretty good young rbs who will be a year older next year.

Being projected in the top 5 of backs isn’t nearly as cracked up to be since RBs do come a dime a dozen now a days . Especially with the carry load he has this year, it wouldn’t be smart for him to stay for next year. Last i checked, he was a 3rd and fourth projection prior to the UGA game. His stock will only rise now, especially with Bama coming up. That be that may, some of the more impactful backs have come out of the third and fourth round, especially this year( Kareem hunt and Alvin). I think he needs to think long and hard about it. All it takes is one team to fall in love and utilize you appropriate and you can have a long during a career as an RB. Not so much at QB.

56 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

He doesn't get a ton of love on this forum, but Carlton Davis has been getting a ton of attention from pro scouts. His measurables are similar to Richard Sherman. I wouldn't be surprised if he went first or second round after the season, especially if he finishes strong.

Carlton’s grade will be pretty good in coverage and body.  Biggest question is what will he run in the 40.

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

Being projected in the top 5 of backs isn’t nearly as cracked up to be since RBs do come a dime a dozen now a days . Especially with the carry load he has this year, it wouldn’t be smart for him to stay for next year. Last i checked, he was a 3rd and fourth projection prior to the UGA game. His stock will only rise now, especially with Bama coming up. That be that may, some of the more impactful backs have come out of the third and fourth round, especially this year( Kareem hunt and Alvin). I think he needs to think long and hard about it. All it takes is one team to fall in love and utilize you appropriate and you can have a long during a career as an RB. Not so much at QB.

KJ is a beast and heart and soul of team. This is the first and only year he has carried the load though and he was out 3 games this year. Some kids take the load for 3 and 4 years. Barkley for Penn State passed up I believe a 1st round grade last year. Some kids want to stay they love college football. Now if we win SEC which is likely IMO amd make playoff that makes it more likely he leaves. Once again I have not spoken to KJ or anyone about this I am just saying I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed another year.

3 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

He is the best player in the SEC but I am not sure he will project as a top 5 back.  Guice, Harris, BArkley, USC rb Jones I believe, and the 2 kids at UGA prob are projected higher than KJ atm.  I am not saying that they are better rb than KJ but they project better at the next level.  This is the first year KJ has showed what he can do with carrying the load.  He was injured early in the year and has not had a full season where he is healthy yet.  KJ is running with pure heart and determination which is a thing of beauty to watch.  He reminds me of how Tre ran in 13 not running style wise just the pure heart and determination he is running with.  Also sometimes kids want to stay in college.  I am not saying KJ has told anyone he will stay no matter what, but he is a very good kid and the type of kid who would stick around.  Caddy and Ronnie both decided to come back in 04 even though they were not getting the type of hype KJ is right now I believe they were both projected to be drafted and Caddy I believe was a 2nd round projection. It is pretty much a given KP will be back next year and if both could stay healthy KJ would not have to carry the load.  Also we have a couple of pretty good young rbs who will be a year older next year.

Guice, Barkley, Chubb, Jones Ill give you. I highly doubt Michel is and Harris is one of the cogs, albeit the main cog, in that backfield. Ill play the IF game though. IF Kerryon continues to perform like this, it is very possible he will be top 5. And there is no reason he should come back at that point. If he's 7th or 8th by some unlikely chance, then he should stay. You make it out as if being drafted in that 3rd or 4th round is harder than it is though, Tre Mason who did even less than Kerryon before his break out year was drafted in the third, and he isn't better than KJ in either skillset or physical measurements. Its a slightly better draft than 2013, but KJ has the chance to be a more coveted prospect by a good margin IF he keeps this up 

Alvin Kamara, who has a pretty similar game to Kerryon was drafted high 3rd last year. D'Onta Foreman with MILES of wear and tear on him was drafted 3rd round last year. James Conner who was a pretty standout RB, but had to go through cancer was drafted ahead.....3rd round is basically the sweet spot for backs "with a lot of talent, BUT..." 

6 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

I wouldn't assume KJ goes pro just yet. Kid loves Auburn and is the type of kid who would stay. It would be smart if he can get a 1st or 3nd round grade but if not I believe he stays. He will have KP back next year also barring unforseen circunstances.

you never know about young men going pro. I think KJ will one day be an every down back for some NFL team. If he goes after this season, then I wish him the absolute best and know he will be an ambassador for Auburn. I would love nothing more than for him to finish his junior season as the top back in all of college FB.

KP will be back as long as his injury is healed. I see no reason for him to go pro this season due to his missing so many games. A healthy KP for 2018 will send a message throughout the SEC telling them that they need to be ready for a RB that will plow through their defensive front.

KJ’s personality will be what keeps him at AU. He is in love with Auburn and has been since highschool. I wouldn’t be absolutely shocked if he left, but I’d be surprised. That’s just who he is

2 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

KJ’s personality will be what keeps him at AU. He is in love with Auburn and has been since highschool. I wouldn’t be absolutely shocked if he left, but I’d be surprised. That’s just who he is

how bout them SAINTS!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!  Their win today over the Bills, reminds me a lot of our win over the mutts.

3 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

I would love for him to stay but idk if he should risk another season here with his injury history.

Just now, doc4aday said:

how bout them SAINTS!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!  Their win today over the Bills, reminds me a lot of our win over the mutts.

I thought the same! Anytime you dominate the LOS, that’s gonna be the result. I hope both teams keep on rolling. WHO DAT!

2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I would love for him to stay but idk if he should risk another season here with his injury history.

I know, I worry about his health every time he carries just by force of habit with his early career. Like others have said though, I think the outcome of the rest of our season will have a big impact on his decision

5 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

We have a lot of seniors on this team. Our defense will be very young next year. We also might lose some juniors.

I counted 7 really important ones Dunn, Golson, James, Roberts, Ruffin, Braden, and Tre W. In addition we lose some experience but not major pieces in James III, Bell and Smith. We could lose a couple of Undercassmen, but looking at their PFF grades I don’t see in top 3 rounders so my guess is most of those guys return.

I will say that I feel extremely good about the d-line even with holland leaving. Marlon, Derrick, Nick, Dontavious, Andrew, Coynis, and Jibunor (dude needs to quit playing and commit to us really) and add TD Moultry as a bonus buck end. I also feel really good about QB and RB.

2 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

KJ is a beast and heart and soul of team. This is the first and only year he has carried the load though and he was out 3 games this year. Some kids take the load for 3 and 4 years. Barkley for Penn State passed up I believe a 1st round grade last year. Some kids want to stay they love college football. Now if we win SEC which is likely IMO amd make playoff that makes it more likely he leaves. Once again I have not spoken to KJ or anyone about this I am just saying I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed another year.

Barkley has been clamped up recently and is finishing quite mediocre. Still top 3 but probably should’ve left 

21 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I will say that I feel extremely good about the d-line even with holland leaving. Marlon, Derrick, Nick, Dontavious, Andrew, Coynis, and Jibunor (dude needs to quit playing and commit to us really) and add TD Moultry as a bonus buck end. I also feel really good about QB and RB.

Can add Daquan Newkirk to your list

51 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I counted 7 really important ones Dunn, Golson, James, Roberts, Ruffin, Braden, and Tre W. In addition we lose some experience but not major pieces in James III, Bell and Smith. We could lose a couple of Undercassmen, but looking at their PFF grades I don’t see in top 3 rounders so my guess is most of those guys return.

James III was granted a medical redshirt for last season.

Archived