What this game reminded me of

AUwent

I will always cherish the memory of dominating Georgia that game in 2004. With that said, I think we gave them an even bigger beat down yesterday. We scored more points, gained more yards, and had more big plays on offense than in 2004. We also held them to 13 fewer yards of offense, and we held their whole team to about half of what their team's leading rusher gained in 2004. I honestly don't think anyone could make an argument that the game last night wasn't the best game Auburn has played in the last 30 years.

Yeah we jumped to number two after that 2004 thUGA game and had a chance at the BCS title game.  Then we stunk it up against bama and slipped back to number 3. 

I think a case could be made for the SEC title game against USC in 2010 (56-17). Really dominating win vs the SEC east champ. UGA made a lot of mistakes that helped us out.  USC just got dominated.

7 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

I honestly don't think anyone could make an argument that the game last night wasn't the best game Auburn has played in the last 30 years.

Agree. Considering the opponent was ranked #1 I don't think we've played better or had a more impressive win in the past 30. We've had some big wins of course but I don't recall beating a top-tier team by 23 points or man-handling them like we did in this game.

8 hours ago, AUwent said:

Seriously, I haven't seen that level of domination of a highly ranked team since 2004. Pretty identical weather too.

That hit Rosegreen put on Reggie Brown would have gotten him kicked out of the game. 

That team was loaded on both sides of the ball. 

9 hours ago, AUwent said:

Seriously, I haven't seen that level of domination of a highly ranked team since 2004. Pretty identical weather too.

Man, I miss the old SEZ scoreboard, being sponsored by Russell, the old endzone lettering, pretty much everything about AU circa 2004.

12 minutes ago, 1856 said:

Man, I miss the old SEZ scoreboard, being sponsored by Russell, the old endzone lettering, pretty much everything about AU circa 2004.

the black socks/black shoes.

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

the black socks/black shoes.

I loved the old white Nikes they used to wear in the '80s... 

i just bought a caddy williams auto rookie card in an auburn uni that came out of the packs for seven bucks and some change. great deal. if i am not mistaken he still holds the record for most touchdowns scored in a single season?

51 minutes ago, 1856 said:

I actually like our 2006-onward end zone lettering.

3 hours ago, Howard Roark said:

Or this one

Was there with my old man. We had tickets in the upper deck and were right behind a UGA fan about my Dad's age and his kid who was about my age(I was 11 at the time.)  They barked and hollered and high five'd, turning around pointing and what not. They gave out these Towel/handkerchief deals prior to the game about it being an SEC showdown.  I thought my old man was gonna die when I handed the kid that towel to cry on as they were leaving early.

This reminded me a lot of 2014 Auburn UGA. Auburn stormed the field that first drive and I thought things were on track.  I’m sure a lot of UGAs felt the same way after they flew down the field the first drive.  Glad to have the shoe on the other foot this time.  

11 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

I will always cherish the memory of dominating Georgia that game in 2004. With that said, I think we gave them an even bigger beat down yesterday. We scored more points, gained more yards, and had more big plays on offense than in 2004. We also held them to 13 fewer yards of offense, and we held their whole team to about half of what their team's leading rusher gained in 2004. I honestly don't think anyone could make an argument that the game last night wasn't the best game Auburn has played in the last 30 years.

As much as I loved Saturday (and Lord knows I did), I would argue that the 2004 game at Tennessee was more complete.  We didn't get any help from their miscues like we did against UGA and it was 31-3 at the half in a Top 10 matchup.  Tennessee never had a freaking chance, whereas UGA was in the game until the 3rd quarter.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

As much as I loved Saturday (and Lord knows I did), I would argue that the 2004 game at Tennessee was more complete.  We didn't get any help from their miscues like we did against UGA and it was 31-3 at the half in a Top 10 matchup.  Tennessee never had a freaking chance, whereas UGA was in the game until the 3rd quarter.

We have Gus.  thUGA was in it until the final five minutes...

50 minutes ago, 1856 said:

We have Gus.  thUGA was in it until the final five minutes...

Not the time to bash Gus.  That game was over the moment we went on the long drive and kicked a field goal to go 33-10.  Two weeks in a row that AU has had a long, back-breaking drive. 

57 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Though it being in Neyland (when Tenny was good) counts for something, that Tennessee team lost to a bad ND team at home (thanks for tanking us in the rankings Phil). Georgia was #1 in the nation.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Though it being in Neyland (when Tenny was good) counts for something, that Tennessee team lost to a bad ND team at home (thanks for tanking us in the rankings Phil). Georgia was #1 in the nation.

Personally, I'm not taking into account whether UGA was #1 or not.  I'm looking at it as performance based on competition level.

It was a #8 vs #9 matchup at the time and Tennessee won the East.  Two of their three losses that year were to Auburn.  UGA could easily finish with the same amount of losses as that UT team.  From a top-to-bottom, start-to-finish performance, that 2004 UT game at Neyland was the single best I've seen Auburn play since 2000, hands down.  I was there and those fans were fired up for that all day, but by the end of the 3rd quarter, AU fans had taken over the stadium.

Don't get me wrong, this week was fantastic and I wish we played like it all the time.  But I think some folks are getting caught up in the moment when making some of these grandiose statements.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

We didn't get any help from their miscues like we did against UGA and it was 31-3 at the half in a Top 10 matchup.  Tennessee never had a freaking chance, whereas UGA was in the game until the 3rd quarter.

While I agree with you on the more dominating game, Tennessee did turn it over inside their 5-yard line (Ainge fumble), which gave us our 2nd TD to Obomanu. 

2 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

While I agree with you on the more dominating game, Tennessee did turn it over inside their 5-yard line (Ainge fumble), which gave us our 2nd TD to Obomanu. 

And threw 6 interceptions. They had 7 turnovers total and 3 came in the first half. Tennessee also gained more yards than UGA did Saturday and our offense gained more yards Saturday than we did in the 2004 Tennessee game. Not discounting that victory as it was huge, but I hardly think it's even close to a grandiose comment to consider this the best game Auburn has ever played. 

This was one of the most enjoyable games to watch, although my heart didn't calm down until there was about 5 minutes to go in the 4th. 

I live in Atlanta and deal with this leg-humper nonsense all year long so for us to beat them down the way we did and while their sitting at #1 (for the 1st time in forever) was the best!  Throwing shade, the dancing by our players, the huge smile Gus had while running off the field...all of that stuff was perfect.  

They got dominated and embarrassed all over the field.  Can't wait for the Iron Bowl this year after that confidence boosting performance!  

Archived