My thoughts from inside the stadium

abw0004

Good morning all,

Like I have done the past home games, I wanted to share a few things maybe the TV cameras did not catch.  Last time I did this, I am pretty sure I set the record for face palms, so maybe I will break that record again (although the forum was a lot more doom and gloom at that particular time).  I may very well be repeating everything, but lets be honest.  Can you really overstate what we just did to UGA?  Can one really say 40-17 enough?  I won't talk much about the game itself, as that would make this incredibly long, and many other threads dedicated to that.  But here we go:

Auburn trolled UGA, twice:  :bow:  Before the game, Auburn brought out Nick Fairley to be the honorary mic man.  Man was it sure fun to see him again.  Cam Newton for the Iron Bowl?  Also, during UGA's last drive for a meaningless touchdown, during the review timeout, Auburn played "Crank That," by Soulja Boy.  For those that do not know, in 2007 Georgia played that in the last seconds of that "blackout" game where the UGA players were dancing to it in celebration of their win against Auburn.  Well, Auburn never forgot and everybody was dancing.  EVERYBODY.  And on the field too, facing the UGA sideline.  As a Georgia resident, this was great.  :lol:

giphy.gif

UGA Fans:  Georgia's fans have not changed one bit.  Very nasty, and unpleasant to be around.  Flipping the bird, pushing Auburn fans.  But the best moment for me was watching two UGA fans get thrown out of the game next to me.  It was a father/daughter and the father was arguing with an Auburn husband/wife saying that the husband was looking at his daughter wrong.  I guarantee you, NO ONE was looking at his daughter.  :dead:  Well he got into it with everyone around him, and then threatened to bring a police officer down, which we welcomed and he did.  And the police officer did throw someone out alright, but it wasn't who the UGA guy thought.  From then on out, the stadium was down two UGA fans.

Auburn Fans:  Seriously, thank you.  Thank you for putting your feelings for Gus aside and coming out in force or this game.  Everyone was so supportive and loud the second I stepped on campus.  That stadium was one of the loudest I have ever heard.  And it was like that all game.  Everyone stood up for every play.  Even the elderly couple in front of me.  I could not have been happier, and those that watched the player interviews know how much that meant to the players.  If you watched the Auburn Review show on Sunday, Darius Slayton stopped his interview, looked into the camera and personally thanked everyone.

Social Media:  The player interviews confirmed something for me.  They hear what we say on social media, forums, etc.  Marlon Davidson was talking about that Kirby said about our fans not being an issue for his team.  That how loud it was would not faze his team.  That Auburn used it as motivation.  This is a reason why I am an unapologetic sunshine pumper, because I want to do everything I can as a simple fan to help the team.  It probably is insignificant, but as the saying goes: "You never know who is watching."

Terry Beasley:  The man was in the house this weekend, and it sure was fun.  There was also an Auburn graduate who was in the Battle of the Bulge, and you could tell he was trying so hard not to cry as he was being recognized.  Those moments are always so special to see.  I am very glad/proud of what Auburn does to make veterans feel welcome.

Marching Band:  I knew UGA's marching band would have a fire baton twirler, as they always do for the Auburn game.  But Auburn took it up a notch.  They incorporated LED lights into their hats, drum heads, and tubas.  The lights were synchronized to the music, and well done.  The tribute to Vegas was very touching.  Those guys really deserve more credit than they get.  They put in an insane amount of work.

Auburn Players:  The Auburn players were playing relaxed, and having fun.  They really were communicating with the crowd, really asking us to get loud.  Going into the stands, taking pictures with us.  Very appreciative of us, and really showing we are all one big family.  Many players were quoted after the game saying the coaches this past week were making sure the guys were having fun this week, and maybe that is the key.  Andrew Williams was having a blast.  He kept coming over to my section and talking to us.  I have never seen him that pumped up.

636460286830376205-111117AuburnVsGeorgia68.jpg

Auburn Coaches:  We cannot give these guys enough credit.  Gus has done an outstanding job.  Everything is coming together and peaking at the right time.  Great adjustments by everyone.  Steele absolutely deserves the Broyles Award.  

Moving forward:  We have a chance to run with anyone in the country right now.  We need to take the momentum and run with it, but continue with a chip on our shoulder.  Keep reminding the players not to let the LSU game happen again.  Play our starters for a half against LA Monroe this weekend to maintain their wits, and pull them after that.  I do not want a microscopic bit of rust on Stidham, but I do want to rest him as well.  Like Ronnie Brown said, the best has yet to come with our potential.  As fans, lets continue to show up and show out.  Make the next two games memorable, and lets make the Iron Bowl LOUD.  :believe:  Also, feel free to come say hi at the games.  I would love to meet fellow Auburn fans on this forum.  I am in Section 2, and am always there 1 hour before the game so it is pretty easy to spot me.

:wareagle:

Agree with all of this. The Auburn band was phenomenal, excellent job by all involved.

Don't forget Pat Sullivan receiving his award. Sullivan and Beasley together again in Jordan Hare, probably the for the last time. The videos on the rivalry were great and the legend of War Eagle hopefully informed a lot of people who choose not to learn on their own.

Didn't really have issues with Georgia fans, course the beatdown helped and would have been ugly if Georgia won. There were a lot of uga fans there, most Auburn students and fans have uga friends but once again AU fans should go to great lengths to not sell their tickets to uga's and updykes. Online you don't know but if you do know its the enemy don't do it!

Remember don't roll the new Toomer Oaks, they got some Saturday night.

It will be great to see the updyke poison leave Jordan Hare early and get off of our campus Nov. 25th

QIt was a monumental win for many reasons. I have been very critical of Gus, and rightfully so I believe, but I give him credit for having this team ready to play this week. It does not excuse the fact that he pretty much crapped the bed against Clemson again, and severely mismanaged the 2nd half of the LSU game, but it is certainly a step in the right direction. It was a huge win for recruiting momentum, and the general perception of the direction of the program, no matter what happens the rest of the season. I thought before the game that this was Gus' most important game since he has been here, and he came through with a big, big win. I am not yet ready to climb back on the Gus bus yet, but I'll follow in my own car for a little while to see where we are going. War Eagle! On anot her note: So happy to hear Terry Beasley was able to be there. How is his health these days?  Any info?

Great recap!!! The atmosphere was fantastic!!! We had a family sit next to us, whose daughter was there to view the campus. They were from Los Angeles  and didn't know any of the Auburn traditions. Their eyes were as big as saucers as they took everything in. By halftime, they were cheering as loud and proud as the rest of us. The daughter said she absolutely loves Auburn and our beautiful campus. We explained the eagle, the love for the band, the history with Georgia, and pointed them in the direction of Toomer's Corner after the game. We also told them that they were good luck and needed to come back in 2 weeks. haha

One thing I hadn't seen anywhere, but the the booing of Jay Jacobs was totally uncalled for. Granted it seemed to originate primarily from the the student section it was unnecessary

My ears are still ringing.  Most fun at an Auburn game I've had in a long time.  Players, fans, everybody except for UGA was loving it.  I'm glad the UGA fan next to me quit barking and sat down half way through the 4th quarter, I was already losing it.

Definitely the loudest game I've ever been to. I will say at the beginning of the game there were a lot of UGA fans. I've never liked how auburn gives such good seating to away teams. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Good morning all,

Like I have done the past home games, I wanted to share a few things maybe the TV cameras did not catch.  Last time I did this, I am pretty sure I set the record for face palms, so maybe I will break that record again (although the forum was a lot more doom and gloom at that particular time).  I may very well be repeating everything, but lets be honest.  Can you really overstate what we just did to UGA?  Can one really say 40-17 enough?  I won't talk much about the game itself, as that would make this incredibly long, and many other threads dedicated to that.  But here we go:

Auburn trolled UGA, twice:  :bow:  Before the game, Auburn brought out Nick Fairley to be the honorary mic man.  Man was it sure fun to see him again.  Cam Newton for the Iron Bowl?  Also, during UGA's last drive for a meaningless touchdown, during the review timeout, Auburn played "Crank That," by Soulja Boy.  For those that do not know, in 2007 Georgia played that in the last seconds of that "blackout" game where the UGA players were dancing to it in celebration of their win against Auburn.  Well, Auburn never forgot and everybody was dancing.  EVERYBODY.  And on the field too, facing the UGA sideline.  As a Georgia resident, this was great.  :lol:

giphy.gif

Watch how Vern and Gary do the dance may make you sick

This was only my 2nd game in attendance this yr but it felt different from the get go.  The players came out of the tunnel, ran to the far tunnel to greet fans and then got in a prayer huddle.  Music played throughout the game and during any break in play and the players on the field could be seen moving to the rythem.  The players on the sidelines were waving towels to get the crowd noise up from the start.  Our players were relaxed, happy and confident.  All business during play but otherwise having fun.  Amazing atmosphere the entire game.

I give the coaches and Gus all the credit.  This game was different in every way and certainly showed a recipe for success.  Hope they carry this into the Iron Bowl.

Great write up, abw0004.  I enjoyed reading your observations.  The whole Auburn Family has been waiting for this type of performance from our team, with the guidance of our coaches, since the season started.  It couldn’t have come at a better time.  Now let’s beat Bama.

I mentioned, in another thread before the UGA game, Auburn could blow out UGA if the Auburn offense come to play.  Boy, did they come to play.  I thought it interesting that we had a 9 point lead at half, same as the LSU lead at half, and Gus never let off of the gas.  Has learning taken place?   I’ll guess we’ll see during the next three weeks.

2 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

One thing I hadn't seen anywhere, but the the booing of Jay Jacobs was totally uncalled for. Granted it seemed to originate primarily from the the student section it was unnecessary

I agree. Regardless of your opinion of the man, he has resigned already. Show some class and don't boo him on national TV. That's not a good representation of the Auburn family. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. While I'm at it, please don't boo the opposing team's band. That is just dumb. Fortunately, that wasn't too widespread or long lasting. And lastly, while I don't care much for taunting in general, if you must resort to such, please, please, don't inform the opposition that they were overrated. That is absolutely stupid and self deprecating. "How do we know you are overrated?" "Well, we managed to beat you so, therefore, you must really suck." Stupid. Sorry for the rant.

10 minutes ago, PotPot said:

I agree. Regardless of your opinion of the man, he has resigned already. Show some class and don't boo him on national TV. That's not a good representation of the Auburn family. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. While I'm at it, please don't boo the opposing team's band. That is just dumb. Fortunately, that wasn't too widespread or long lasting. And lastly, while I don't care much for taunting in general, if you must resort to such, please, please, don't inform the opposition that they were overrated. That is absolutely stupid and self deprecating. "How do we know you are overrated?" "Well, we managed to beat you so, therefore, you must really suck." Stupid. Sorry for the rant.

the Georgia fire twirl girl got a big applause from the students and fans. She is very good.

2 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

the Georgia fire twirl girl got a big applause from the students and fans. She is very good.

Yes she did. And the loudest applause came from the same section that initiated the brief booing. That was good to see.

Cam probably won't be able to make it to the Iron Bowl since the Panthers have a game on Sunday, however maybe another Auburn former player from the 2013 roster who happened to be a part of the greatest play in Iron Bowl history will make an appearance.  I don't think Chris is on an NFL roster anymore.

3 minutes ago, PotPot said:

Yes she did. And the loudest applause came from the same section that initiated the brief booing. That was good to see.

I thought the booing was some other event going on not booing the their band.

Was uga over there or something?

3 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

I thought the booing was some other event going on not booing the their band.

Was uga over there or something?

Could have been something else. I'm on the opposite side of the field in the upper deck. From there, most of us assumed they were booing the band. We yelled at them to stop and they must have heard us because they did.

56 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Great write up, abw0004.  I enjoyed reading your observations.  The whole Auburn Family has been waiting for this type of performance from our team, with the guidance of our coaches, since the season started.  It couldn’t have come at a better time.  Now let’s beat Bama.

I mentioned, in another thread before the UGA game, Auburn could blow out UGA if the Auburn offense come to play.  Boy, did they come to play.  I thought it interesting that we had a 9 point lead at half, same as the LSU lead at half, and Gus never let off of the gas.  Has learning taken place?   I’ll guess we’ll see during the next three weeks.

Wish I could have been there! Does anyone have a link to video of the AUMB halftime show? My daughter is in a perennially highly ranked HS band (class 3A Grand Nationals Champions last year) here in Texas and is thinking of band in college as well. Would love to show her that. 

1 hour ago, ScubaSteve said:

Cam probably won't be able to make it to the Iron Bowl since the Panthers have a game on Sunday, however maybe another Auburn former player from the 2013 roster who happened to be a part of the greatest play in Iron Bowl history will make an appearance.  I don't think Chris is on an NFL roster anymore.

Would love to see him back on the Plains. There are also several other former players from the 2013 roster who are part of the coaching staff, too. I can't imagine the fire and hype they'll pass on to the current players.

Great observations abw0004 and really appreciate your kind words for the band. My son is a junior electrical engineering major and member of the AUMB for the past 2 years. He designed the LED hardware setup for the band, programmed and controlled the show from his computer! He and other engineering students in the band put in countless hours and effort making this show a reality. They literally built the whole thing from basic components! Seeing it in person really made this AU Dad/1980 Grad beam with pride and admiration for his son!!!

Above is best link l have found to the halftime show.

Archived