Kickoff returns

Eagle Eye 7

6 hours ago, triangletiger said:

I would love to have Jay Boulware back.

He was indeed the best ST coach I can recall at Auburn.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

He was indeed the best ST coach I can recall at Auburn.

Yep....and who was the guy at Va Tech when they blocked about a punt a game?....not sure on the return coverage but punting against the Hokies was always a dangerous experience..

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep....and who was the guy at Va Tech when they blocked about a punt a game?....not sure on the return coverage but punting against the Hokies was always a dangerous experience..

I may be wrong, but I thought Frank Beamer personally handled the ST coaching at Va. Tech.

Why wasn't DC kicking them out of the endzone  like he normally does? Was it the wind ?

1 hour ago, shabby said:

At this point, perhaps we should kick off out of bound every play and just accept the inevitable.

Out of bounds brings the ball to the 35.....pooch kicks have been a pretty good technique for keeping returns down to about nothing and maybe having the opposition start around the 20 or 25.   NFL kickers do this quite often when they could easily like the ball over the end zone.  

AU's problem is that we don't have a KO return game....the guys with the ball don't see the field and don't have the moves to shake off the first line of defenders.  Our best deal is to let the shorter kicks bounce into the end zone and get it on the 25.

On 11/13/2017 at 5:48 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I didn’t say there wasn’t a problem. I said the outcome worked out to be equal field position as if he had kicked everything through the end zone. As I have mentioned before I think we grew accustomed to DC putting it through the end zone that our fielding went soft. To be accurate we gave up a  42 on the first one but then got some stops including one inside the twenty. Actually getting them to run it out increases the chance of a penalty on the return team giving them really poor field position. I think sometimes we worry to much about the little things.

the outcome did not work out the same.   most of the kicks were not being returned from the endzone - they were starting in the field of play and then adding 26+ yards to that.  I am not sure why Carlson is not kicking them out the back of the endzone anymore.   this was huge for us the past 2 years - huge percentage of his kickoffs were not returnable.   - that is very different for the past several weeks.   now kickoffs are my most anxious time of the game.  

Archived