“Give it to him”

ClaytonAU

During the broadcast of the game Saturday as soon as the ball is snapped on the Slayton TD pass you can clearly hear Gus screaming “give it to him, give it to him”. After rewatching the game a second time I can’t for the life of me figure out why Gus called for that as he looked like Slayton was in double coverage. Can anyone speculate why Gus called for it and essentially knew he’d make the throw and catch? I’m not mad it happened, but definitely want to see if anyone saw the same thing Gus did. 

at the 56:30 mark of the video. 

He was keying on the safety over the left side of the formation. On that side, Ryan Davis ran a wr screen look. This pulled that safety down which forced the other safety to take the post from the slot guy. This left Slayton one on one with the DB.

5 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

He was keying on the safety over the left side of the formation. On that side, Ryan Davis ran a wr screen look. This pulled that safety down which forced the other safety to take the post from the slot guy. This left Slayton one on one with the DB.

And the corner figured he had safety help to the inside so he was playing outside coverage. When Slayton made the cut he was wide open on the inside all he had to do was shield the CB with his body. 

uga's #35 looks lost as Slayton is catching that pass. Seems like he's in good position to attack the ball (or lay a hit on Slayton), but he pulls up and kind of stops as Slayton rolls in for the TD. A little odd now that I'm seeing the play again. Thanks for that link to the full video, though - I still haven't sat down for a full re-watch.

3 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

And the corner figured he had safety help to the inside so he was playing outside coverage. When Slayton made the cut he was wide open on the inside all he had to do was shield the CB with his body. 

Yup. Fantastic play design coupled with phenomenal execution. Great protection, great fake, a beautiful throw and a spectacular catch. How many times do you see those get swiped out of the hands for a inc? Heads up play by Slayton to secure it and pull it away. 

Personally....I think Gus was selling the pump fake. He yells it immediately which tells me he was helping to sell the fake and trying to do what he could to draw the safety. Just one man's opinion.

15 minutes ago, MIGMAN said:

Personally....I think Gus was selling the pump fake. He yells it immediately which tells me he was helping to sell the fake and trying to do what he could to draw the safety. Just one man's opinion.

I thought this too.

22 minutes ago, MIGMAN said:

you think opposing players listen to the coach? Or even hear their opponents coach after the snap?

Chip Kelly did a great breakdown of this play, explaining how Slayton positioned himself for the catch so the DB had no shot of swiping the ball out, or pretty much doing anything that wasn't a blatant PI call. If I can find the link, I'll post it. 

This is Gus talking about it:

https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/930518046535487489

I can't get the video to show up but I don't buy his answer. I think he was relieved that the media gave him an out by how they phrased the question and just went with that. I think the real answer is what @FullBloodedTiger91 said. JMO though

41 minutes ago, MIGMAN said:

Correct.  He's deking on the pump fake and the secondary can absolutely hear him.  Everybody in the stadium can hear it.

I found the Chip Kelly breakdown of the play. Go to TOS and search for "Chip Kelly play breakdown", I believe Marcello posted it. It is free content. Hope I am within Da Rulz in the way I phrased all of that! 

53 minutes ago, alexava said:

how do we know that's gus?

Thats definitely his voice and this is definitely not the first time I've heard him yell "give it to him" during a game....could have been other seasons I'm thinking of too. I knew what this thread was about before I even opened it, lol. Ive been getting a good laugh throughout the season when I've watched highlights on youtube and heard Gus doing this. I just pictured him flailing about on the sidelines with that worried face he always has.

It's no different than Kiffin doing the touchdown signal right after the snap when he was at Bama. The good coaches know when you have a favorable set up, and often our offense has one read making the screaming a give away to the QB if he recognizes it.

16 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

It's no different than Kiffin doing the touchdown signal right after the snap when he was at Bama. The good coaches know when you have a favorable set up, and often our offense has one read making the screaming a give away to the QB if he recognizes it.

The way Stid looked to the left first either means he took the second read with Slayton, or he was always going Slayton but looked the safety off first before going back to the first read. 

Always appreciate the responses. I know a lot of us were at the game and may not have heard Gus screaming give it to him like I did. 

27 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Always appreciate the responses. I know a lot of us were at the game and may not have heard Gus screaming give it to him like I did. 

It came through so clearly on the broadcast that I thought they had a mic on Gus.

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

I found the Chip Kelly breakdown of the play. Go to TOS and search for "Chip Kelly play breakdown", I believe Marcello posted it. It is free content. Hope I am within Da Rulz in the way I phrased all of that! 

you can just google "Chip Kelly Auburn" and there are multiple links with the plays Kelly breaks down.

9 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Selling the pump fake. 

Exactly. JS looks left, drives his shoulder which triggers the safety and opens the field.

Archived