#6 CFB Playoff Rankings

aufan57

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, gravejd said:

There are going to be a lot of pissed off people if AU gets in these playoffs. Lets make it happen!!!!!

Probably most of them will be your friends and neighbors living around the state of Alabama too. 

6 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Something tells me the Bama v. AU game looks a lot like the UGA AU game. With their new LBs and as much shuffling as our offense does I see a lot of missed assignments and general confusion on their defense. I have never said this before but I honestly believe we win by 14 points. 

That would certainly make life easier and be cause for celebration. Still got some party paraphernalia left over from January 2011.

18 hours ago, auskull said:

That would certainly make life easier and be cause for celebration. Still got some party paraphernalia left over from January 2011.

Four weeks ago most people on this forum would have taken bama and given Auburn 17 points.....and now AU is supposed to win by 14.  ....bunch of bi-polar football fans on here.....some really strange folks ....

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Four weeks ago most people on this forum would have taken bama and given Auburn 17 points.....and now AU is supposed to win by 14.  ....bunch of bi-polar football fans on here.....some really strange folks ....

Not really. We were at a pretty damn low point four weeks ago.

Seriously, what would your reaction have been if I told you four weeks ago what would happen?

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Not really. We were at a pretty damn low point four weeks ago.

Seriously, what would your reaction have been if I told you four weeks ago what would happen?

Pretty sure what I said after LSU......we played a really good half and also a very bad half of football.....and had the potential to be very good. 

And even now, unlike a good many people on this board,  I don't view the 2nd half of the LSU game as what the AU team was all about. .  

The team definitely got better game by game which is what one should expect.

Two reasons come to mind....adaptation by JS to SEC football.....and the team getting used to having only KJ as the primary running back and accepted that Pettway was not going to be helpful.    The Defenses has always been sturdy and survived some injuries to key players who became fit to play the last few games. 

22 hours ago, AU64 said:

Based on information at the time (conditioned by the bi-polar game planning and play calling of the last two years) the LSU game seemed to complete the two year trend of sinking into the abyss. Only those that are delusional would have been sunshine pumpers at that time.  Hopefully the UGA game signaled a coaching revival that is mind boggling given what has gone before. It's only one game though and everything went as planned plus UGA was sloppy and not prepared. Give our coaches credit. Lets see what happens when things are changing during the game and we have a coaching chess match before we get all giddy here and start patting ourselves on the back. Confirmation of the revival is needed before a new trend is established.

I have only read a few posters who are on record pulling against AU for their own reasons. Nearly everybody here wants to believe the coaches have caught up to the players ability.

6 minutes ago, auskull said:

Based on information at the time (conditioned by the bi-polar game planning and play calling of the last two years) the LSU game seemed to complete the two year trend of sinking into the abyss. Only those that are delusional would have been sunshine pumpers at that time.  Hopefully the UGA game signaled a coaching revival that is mind boggling given what has gone before. It's only one game though and everything went as planned plus UGA was sloppy and not prepared. Give our coaches credit. Lets see what happens when things are changing during the game and we have a coaching chess match before we get all giddy here and start patting ourselves on the back. Confirmation of the revival is needed before a new trend is established.

I have only read a few posters who are on record pulling against AU for their own reasons. Nearly everybody here wants to believe the coaches have caught up to the players ability.

49-14, 44-23, 51-14, 55-20, 42-27      

Do any of those scores ring a bell?    For most of those teams, AU gave them their worst loss of the season...or close to it and some could have been worse.    AU has played some very good football this year and I have problems accepting that the Georgia game was  some kind of coming out party.   

JMO but the second half of the LSU game was the anomaly this season...not the Georgia game.   Georgia was a very good team and took a good effort but it was not like the offense had been struggling all season.   

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the second half of the LSU game was the anomaly this season...not the Georgia game.   Georgia was a very good team and took a good effort but it was not like the offense had been struggling all season.   

Well I hope you are correct and it may very well be. But the second half of the LSU game looked an awful lot like many of the games from the last two years and the 2013 BCS. Remember the 6 game winning streak in the middle of last season? We simply steamrolled the middle of our schedule. We have superior talent to most teams on our schedule. But we have a history of these coaching blunders when challenged. I agree with your QB assessment. That is critical to our performance. But top level coaching consistency is also. Well....here's to the anomaly theory!

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

49-14, 44-23, 51-14, 55-20, 42-27      

Do any of those scores ring a bell?    For most of those teams, AU gave them their worst loss of the season...or close to it and some could have been worse.    AU has played some very good football this year and I have problems accepting that the Georgia game was  some kind of coming out party.   

This is a great point. Setting the LSU game aside for a moment, we heard week after week "but we're supposed to beat [Arky/Miss/Miss St./Mizzou] handily, let's see what we do against the big dogs." And very few on here were allowing themselves to celebrate our team in really good conference wins.

Well, now we've had a great game against a "big dog" but it doesn't seem to be enough, does it? 

I especially agree with the bold part of your quote for this reason.

Obviously, none of this amounts to a hill of beans when our guys line up against bama. If we were undefeated with nothing but shutouts leading up to that game, it still wouldn't matter.

We have a very impressive body of work overall - Death Valleys be damned.

18 minutes ago, auskull said:

Well I hope you are correct and it may very well be. But the second half of the LSU game looked an awful lot like many of the games from the last two years and the 2013 BCS. Remember the 6 game winning streak in the middle of last season? We simply steamrolled the middle of our schedule. We have superior talent to most teams on our schedule. But we have a history of these coaching blunders when challenged. I agree with your QB assessment. That is critical to our performance. But top level coaching consistency is also. Well....here's to the anomaly theory!

Just saying.....why take the worst 30 minutes of football this season and declare that to be the "Auburn team"? 

That's like taking the worst day of your life and re-living it over and over in your mind.... despite all the good things that have happened since then....and yet that day becomes the symbol of your life.   Judging by some of the commentary on this board,  it seems that too many people live their lives, focusing on the negatives. 

Nothing I have posted would lead anyone to believe my conclusions are based solely on the second half of LSU. In fact, that was the culmination of what I considered to be the most bone headed coaching job and yes... "the worst 30 minutes of football", even topping many of the games lost over the last several years. Its the body of work and the way we lose, getting embarrassed by our play calling, etc. over the last two seasons. Winning only 7 or 8 games the last three years when I believe we have superior talent to most of the teams we play and some of those loses keeping us from getting to 9 and 10 wins seemed to be fuzzy play designs, insane play calling, high school level preparation, and etc. Gus can be crazy good at times and embarrassing at other times, even in the same game. We have now gone into another cycle where it appears we, once again, can beat anybody. I am holding my breath and believe max support from us fans are needed at this critical time.

I have no idea if it will continue.....but i remember in 2014 how everyone discussed how good Auburn could be with the malzahn offense and even a mediocre defense.  (Never thought i would see a malzahn coached offense look like 15 and 16). Saturday fulfilled what both look like together (Although the defense is certainly not mediocre).  Imagine the possibilities if it can be sustained.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just saying.....why take the worst 30 minutes of football this season and declare that to be the "Auburn team"? 

That's like taking the worst day of your life and re-living it over and over in your mind.... despite all the good things that have happened since then....and yet that day becomes the symbol of your life.   Judging by some of the commentary on this board,  it seems that too many people live their lives, focusing on the negatives. 

We've seen "the team". That 30 minutes was "the coach". Go ahead get the last word 64

On 11/16/2017 at 11:14 AM, AU64 said:

Pretty sure what I said after LSU......we played a really good half and also a very bad half of football.....and had the potential to be very good. 

And even now, unlike a good many people on this board,  I don't view the 2nd half of the LSU game as what the AU team was all about. .  

The team definitely got better game by game which is what one should expect.

Two reasons come to mind....adaptation by JS to SEC football.....and the team getting used to having only KJ as the primary running back and accepted that Pettway was not going to be helpful.    The Defenses has always been sturdy and survived some injuries to key players who became fit to play the last few games. 

I don’t think the second half of LSU was anything like what this team is. What it was exactly like what Gus was up till a couple of weeks ago. Most everyone on here felt like if Gus would quit his BS then this team could beat anybody. Fortunately Gus did do a complete 180 and even he admits it. No one should feel upset because we didn’t have faith in Gus correcting himself because over and over he refused to. While most of us belive that we are better than uat we still feel a little afraid that Gus might at anytime revert to his previous self and if he does then we will be defeated again. Hopefully Gus will stay on the straight and narrow.

What a joke to hear Barry Alvarez on Gameday pimping his Wisky team, beating a 4 win Nebraska team was a quality road win, really!? Pfft, and that's a former committee member.

17 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

What a joke to hear Barry Alvarez on Gameday pimping his Wisky team, beating a 4 win Nebraska team was a quality road win, really!? Pfft, and that's a former committee member.

Badger fans are a wee bit delusional sometimes. Trust me, I live amongst them. They need to get past Michigan first!

34 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So what if us, Clemson, Wisconsin and Oklahoma to win out, and Miami’s only loss is to Clemson? Would the SEC be left out?

IMO, no.  It’s not good to lose late in the season.  SEC champ goes and I hope it’s Auburn.

38 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So what if us, Clemson, Wisconsin and Oklahoma to win out, and Miami’s only loss is to Clemson? Would the SEC be left out?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-college-football-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Thanks....guess my only question is about using previous Committee results since the make-up of the committee changes from year to year and I'm wondering if their philosophy might not change also.

But....seems that beating two teams ranked #1 within  3 weeks should be worth more than it appears.....but going forward from the bama game, I can certainly see the odds of Auburn continuing its win streak would be diminishing every week. 

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Miami for sure

A better scenario would be if we win out and Wisconsin loses.

Clemson wins out

Oklahoma wins out

You have tOSU, Miami and Alabama vying for that fourth spot.

Archived