Stidham passing charts

thaitopher

I really think Gus's fear of turnovers is so great that he really stays away from the middle of the field. Not sure how else to read that. I am not an X's and O's guy, so that are just wild guesses. 

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

I really think Gus's fear of turnovers is so great that he really stays away from the middle of the field. Not sure how else to read that. I am not an X's and O's guy, so that are just wild guesses. 

I think this is a lot of it, but it is also taking what the D gives you.  It seems logical to me that there are more LBs in the middle of the field between the 10-19 yards so don't throw where your guys are defended.  Not saying that we should only have 30 total passes at this level of the field for the whole year.  But at least the INTs have been minimal.

8 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I think this is a lot of it, but it is also taking what the D gives you.  It seems logical to me that there are more LBs in the middle of the field between the 10-19 yards so don't throw where your guys are defended.  Not saying that we should only have 30 total passes at this level of the field for the whole year.  But at least the INTs have been minimal.

Didn't LSU blitz a lot of its linebackers when we played them leaving the middle of the field open?

8 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Didn't LSU blitz a lot of its linebackers when we played them leaving the middle of the field open?

The entire 2nd half -- in particular on 1st downs.

20 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Interesting comparison when you look at his Baylor passing chart. 

It is interesting. What it tells me is that the offenses were somewhat familiar, but it seems to indicate to me that Stidham would just as soon throw a long ball as an intermediate ball. Not sure how much is "play calling" and how much is Stidham just wants to sling it.

Just now, 80Tiger said:

It is interesting. What it tells me is that the offenses were somewhat familiar, but it seems to indicate to me that Stidham would just as soon throw a long ball as an intermediate ball. Not sure how much is "play calling" and how much is Stidham just wants to sling it.

Good point. Makes me wonder too if Stidham just chooses not to throw passes down the middle of the field, or if he is even given the option. I am pretty sure in the LSU game the option wasn't even available to him. 

All this and yet we have hung 40 plus on every SEC team except lswho. What a strange world.  

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

DGZnwHeUwAA3sO8.jpg

The question, when looking at his Baylor numbers always has to be, is it a reflection of the offense, or the lack of real defense in the Big 12?

The other thing to consider is that Stidham said Auburn's O is much more complicated than Baylor's, and he could teach Baylor's O to anyone in 15 minutes. The learning curve alone can be a significant factor in the difference in numbers between the two seasons. After all, short passes are short passes and long passes are long passes, but throwing to the middle of the field is all about finding the window which requires solid routes and a D that doesn't stop your receivers from getting open.

31 passing yards down the short middle part of the field. And people wonder why we lost to LSU. 

IMG_20171116_101719.jpg

Not trying?

3% of attempts to the center/middle range (1/9 = 11%).

19% of attempts anywhere at middle range (1/3 = 33%).

44 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The question, when looking at his Baylor numbers always has to be, is it a reflection of the offense, or the lack of real defense in the Big 12?

The other thing to consider is that Stidham said Auburn O is much more complicated than Baylor's, and he could teach Baylor's O to anyone in 15 minutes. The learning curve alone can be a significant factor in the difference in numbers between the two seasons. After all, short passes are short passes and long passes are long passes, but throwing to the middle of the field is all about finding the window which requires solid routes and a D that doesn't stop your receivers from getting open.

Being at most of the games, I haven't been able to see as much as when I watch on tv but the times I have noticed routes crossing the middle, the defense has been grabbing our receivers (notably Hastings because he's so much quicker than the LBs) and we're not getting any of those defensive holding calls. Or we come across the middle but the pass isn't thrown until we're nearing the sideline (probably by design).

We could easily take advantage of this against Bama with their inexperience at LB right now. That would really open up the run game!

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

The entire 2nd half -- in particular on 1st downs.

Yes they did blitz the LBs in the 2nd half and I have not gone back and watched that half again.  However as I recall, they blitzed a lot from the corners, safeties and OLB.  I don't think we got that much pressure up the middle.  But again, I may be completely wrong.

20 minutes ago, Linayus said:

We could easily take advantage of this against Bama with their inexperience at LB right now.

In what world did any of us think we would ever be able to say that about the school that stockpiles 5-star LBs? Sometimes karma is a beautiful thing.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

In what world did any of us think we would ever be able to say that about the school that stockpiles 5-star LBs? Sometimes karma is a beautiful thing.

No doubt. That alone has many of my Bama friends worried about this year's game. It's glorious. lol

News is reporting that one of Bama's injured starting Outside LBs will be back on the field for the Auburn game and another might be.

It's sad to be eager to play against a crippled rival. I want to beat them at their best, because I don't want them saying the only reason we won is because so many of their players were out with injuries.

2 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Actually, I believe the change that had the most impact was bringing a safety up in the middle for run support.

18 minutes ago, AURex said:

News is reporting that one of Bama's injured starting Outside LBs will be back on the field for the Auburn game and another might be.

It's sad to be eager to play against a crippled rival. I want to beat them at their best, because I don't want them saying the only reason we won is because so many of their players were out with injuries.

Hopefully he will still be banged up and have no success on the field like our guards have been the last two weeks. 

I don't care if they're healthy or all scholarship players for them are injured. I want to win and go to Atlanta.

In 5 years nobody will remember their injuries but they will remember the result and it will still hold as much value as any other Iron Bowl victory.

42 minutes ago, AURex said:

More Karma. Only a disillusion bama fan base believes that our pile of injuries had nothing to do with their success the last 2 years against us. Both years we were within 7 until the end of the game when our D finally wore out from being on the field too long. That wouldn't have happened either game with healthy QBs and backs.

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't care if they're healthy or all scholarship players for them are injured. I want to win and go to Atlanta.

In 5 years nobody will remember their injuries but they will remember the result and it will stole hold as much value as any other Iron Bowl victory.

Just win, baby

Archived