aubiefifty

Auburn Football

Auburn's Kerryon Johnson named semifinalist for Doak Walker Award

Updated Nov 17, 10:11 AM; Posted Nov 17, 10:05 AM

Gallery: Auburn running back Kerryon Johnson against Texas A&M

711 shares

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

Kerryon Johnson is garnering more national attention.

The Auburn running back is among 11 semifinalists for the Doak Walker Award.

Johnson leads the SEC with 1,035 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns in eight games this season and ranks eighth nationally with 129.38 rushing yards per game. He also has 15 receptions for 152 yards and two touchdowns.

Twice named SEC offensive player of the week this season, Johnson's 167 rushing yards against Georgia are the most against a top 10 rush defense this season.

He topped the 1,000-yard mark last week to become the 11th Auburn player to reach the milestone since 2009.

The other semifinalists are Notre Dame's Josh Adams, Penn State's Saquon Barkley, Oregon's Royce Freeman, Oklahoma State's Justice Hill, Southern Cal's Ronald Jones Jr., Colorado's Phillip Lindsey, Standford's Bryce Love, San Diego State's Rashaad Penny, FAU's Devin Singletary and Wisconsin's Jonathan Taylor.

No Auburn player has ever won the Doak Walker Award, which since 1990 has been presented to the nation's top running back. Texas' D'onta Foreman won it last year.

The three finalists will be named Nov. 21 and the 2017 Doak Walker Award winner will be announced during The Home Depot College Football Awards on ESPN on Dec. 7. The Doak Walker Award will be presented on Feb. 16, 2018.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @JamesCrepea.

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Barkley will probably win it 

I think it will be Love because of his stats. Barkley just hit 1000 yards yesterday

On 11/19/2017 at 8:44 AM, Randman5000 said:

I think it will be Love because of his stats. Barkley just hit 1000 yards yesterday

I hope KJ runs for 200 and 5 TDs for being left off the finalists

Barkley's stats leave a lot to be desired even though he is probably the most talented RB in the country. Josh Adams hasn't been the same since he got injured. If Auburn plays in the SECCG and if KJ lights it up in the Ion Bowl and against UGA (like 2 TDs and 175 yds in each) then I think he might be able to snag it. If I were a voter, it would still be pretty tough to ignore what Bryce Love has done--though Stanford RBs always seem to get ignored for the big awards.

8 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

I think KJ can make it to NYC, but I don't think anyone other than Mayfield has a real shot of winning.

Vegas certainly thinks nobody else has a shot. 2nd place isn't even close at this point. Even with his antics against Kansas he won't lose enough votes to lose the hardware.

5 hours ago, Linayus said:

Vegas certainly thinks nobody else has a shot. 2nd place isn't even close at this point. Even with his antics against Kansas he won't lose enough votes to lose the hardware.

It will be interesting to see if he implodes after college, like Johnny Manziel. Maybe if they have a second one of those, the Heisman organization will consider following their own mandates more closely going forward.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It will be interesting to see if he implodes after college, like Johnny Manziel. Maybe if they have a second one of those, the Heisman organization will consider following their own mandates more closely going forward.

You'd think they'd learn from Manziel - but nope. Character is only a concern for some of the voters (notably the older ones).

I think he has earned it - but he needs to mature a lot more. Play angry but leave it all on the field.

Just now, Linayus said:

You'd think they'd learn from Manziel - but nope. Character is only a concern for some of the voters (notably the older ones).

I think he has earned it - but he needs to mature a lot more. Play angry but leave it all on the field.

I've been a fan of his ability for a couple of years. Got ripped into here for it, last year, with people claiming I was an Oklahoma fan (far from it), but the kid has amazing talent. That being said, I wonder if he's got real mental issues. The fact that he needs to get out of control aggressive to play his best ball is kind of frightening. Even more so that he doesn't have any self-control even when the game is over (see Ohio State... though I kinda liked that move just because it was "the" Ohio State). 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I've been a fan of his ability for a couple of years. Got ripped into here for it, last year, with people claiming I was an Oklahoma fan (far from it), but the kid has amazing talent. That being said, I wonder if he's got real mental issues. The fact that he needs to get out of control aggressive to play his best ball is kind of frightening. Even more so that he doesn't have any self-control even when the game is over (see Ohio State... though I kinda liked that move just because it was "the" Ohio State). 

I hate Stoops - so I hate Oklahoma (also for them beating us in softball). But Mayfield can flat out ball. I mentioned it in the playoff discussion that Oklahoma is the one team I legitimately fear going against if we made it into the playoff. I know we can score on them but can we come up with enough defensive stops to secure a victory?? :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I hate Stoops - so I hate Oklahoma (also for them beating us in softball). But Mayfield can flat out ball. I mentioned it in the playoff discussion that Oklahoma is the one team I legitimately fear going against if we made it into the playoff. I know we can score on them but can we come up with enough defensive stops to secure a victory?? :dunno:

Beating Oklahoma is 100% about discipline. You have to contain and wrap Mayfield up when you tackle him. Otherwise, he's going to make something out of nothing. We've shown that we can do that, but then we've also let far lesser QBs break away for big plays.

Part of me wants nothing to do with Oklahoma in the play-offs... let someone else knock them off (that part also wants to prove we're better than Clemson). Another part wants revenge for last year when they broke our QB to win. And another part wants to beat the snot out of them because they cost us a championship in 2004.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Beating Oklahoma is 100% about discipline. You have to contain and wrap Mayfield up when you tackle him. Otherwise, he's going to make something out of nothing. We've shown that we can do that, but then we've also let far lesser QBs break away for big plays.

Part of me wants nothing to do with Oklahoma in the play-offs... let someone else knock them off (that part also wants to prove we're better than Clemson). Another part wants revenge for last year when they broke our QB to win. And another part wants to beat the snot out of them because they cost us a championship in 2004.

All true. lol

Archived