University of West Florida

WarTiger

UWF here in Pensacola, just started a football program playing their first season in 2016.   Well, in their 2nd year they not only have a winning record, but they made the playoffs in division II.    They came into todays game with a 7-3 record and the #6 seed.  They traveled to Wingate [NC] today to play in the opening round of the playoffs.   Well, they started an hour after the Auburn game, but it was available for streaming on ESPN3.   West Florida defeated Wingate [who came into the game at 9-1 and the 3 seed], 31-0 AT wingate.    West Florida set a new record for getting to the playoffs in their 2nd year.    The head coach at West Florida is Pete Shinnick.   His previous school [UNC Pembroke] made the playoffs in their 3rd year, which was the record before UWF broke it this year.     What a start to the program for UWF.

Very cool

pensacola will support the team I think.

ice pilots, wahoos, the new hockey team and the Argos!

are they still playing some of the games downtown?

im afraid the attendance would drop if they played on campus

3 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Very cool

pensacola will support the team I think.

ice pilots, wahoos, the new hockey team and the Argos!

are they still playing some of the games downtown?

im afraid the attendance would drop if they played on campus

Ice Flyers

They are playing home games at the baseball stadium for now.   They have an incredibly nice field on campus and plenty of room for the bleachers when the money is there to do the stadium.   I don't believe the attendance will drop at all when they go to campus.  In fact, I think it will increase.  That field is top notch and absolutely impeccable.    I'm not sure what their time table is for getting the construction started on the actual stadium. I think they are several years away from that though.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, West Florida defeated West Georgia 17-14 to advance to the 3rd round.   Today they are playing West Alabama in Livingston and lead 28-14 with 6:27 to play.   This is absolutely remarkable.   Remember this is only the 2nd year UWF has had a  football program.

West Florida playing today in the Semi-Finals at Indiana, Pennsylvania.   Indiana comes into the game at 13-0 on the season.   Well, they finish the season 13-1 after West Florida defeats Indiana, Pennsylvania  27-17 and West Florida is playing for the division II National TITLE next saturday.    Unbelievable.

So excited! UWF is an outstanding university and the rise of the football program is amazing. The QB1 is fun to watch and the team is very disciplined and well coached. Hope they can win it all on Saturday!

Fantastic! Says a lot about the staff and the buy in from the players.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2017 at 2:15 PM, WarTiger said:

West Florida playing today in the Semi-Finals at Indiana, Pennsylvania.   Indiana comes into the game at 13-0 on the season.   Well, they finish the season 13-1 after West Florida defeats Indiana, Pennsylvania  27-17 and West Florida is playing for the division II National TITLE next saturday.    Unbelievable.

So how did they do?

THey lost in the final by a couple of scores (if I recall).  I watched the end of the game and it appeared their mojo ran out and they got beat by the better team.

It wasn’t bad but I remember thinking the better team won. 

Archived