Stephen Roberts

aublaise

What was up with Roberts today? He was listed as a starter today. He is one of our leading tacklers, but did not record any stats today.  

Well, he avoided a several of ULM punts coming in his direction and did a great job waving around his arms as they bounced. ^-^

2 hours ago, AURex said:

Well, he avoided a several of ULM punts coming in his direction and did a great job waving around his arms as they bounced. ^-^

He had himself an off day. That one where he contemplated picking it up and running on a punt was idiotic. Can’t be playing with fire like that. 

This was the first "off game" I can remember him having this season. Like 3rdgeneration said, I'm not worried about him either. I've got a feeling he's going to make a couple of memorable plays next week!... for our good of course.

7 hours ago, logan adams said:

He had himself an off day. That one where he contemplated picking it up and running on a punt was idiotic. Can’t be playing with fire like that. 

Not really....happened right where I was sitting and he had be whole field ahead of him but the 3rd bounce bounced away not up

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

Not really....happened right where I was sitting and he had be whole field ahead of him but the 3rd bounce bounced away not up

It got dangerously close to hitting him. He should’ve just let it be. 

Anyway, that’s the only error I can recall him making, or almost making this season. He’s been very reliable back there. 

2 hours ago, logan adams said:

It got dangerously close to hitting him. He should’ve just let it be. 

Anyway, that’s the only error I can recall him making, or almost making this season. He’s been very reliable back there. 

There was one game where he put his hand up to fair catch it and got creamed right after and put the ball on the ground. I don't remember if we actually turned the ball over,  we may have got it back, I dont remember, but I do remember him putting it on the ground. In my opinion (and the announcers) it should of been a penalty for interference. 

While he has been reliable catching punts and not putting the ball on the ground, save that one time, he hasn't been spectacular at actually returning punts. When it is kicked to him, 95% of the time he fair catches. We basically have 0 threat to return a punt. This is most likely an issue with blocking and not Roberts. 

He is usually an elite tackler but thought he may have missed a couple yesterday.   He’ll be fine and ready to blow up the Tide.  

13 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

As far as Im concerned, we can delete this post. Effing leave SR alone. He puts it on the line week in & week out. Even bammers dont look for things to whine about like on this board. 

This is not correct. They expect excellence. And critique things that arent. This is no difference.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of our players puts it on the line week in and week out. Roberts isn't the exception.  

You guys get too sensitive about critiquing individual players. Critiquing isn't criticism. If people criticise, I'm right there with you, but this thought of not saying anything that could hurt a players feelings is for the birds. These guys play major FBS football. This kind of post is expected when things aren't excellent. 

But what do I know? I'm just a fan of college football, who has been to many teams games all over the nation This thought of not critiquing gameplay and coddling players just because they are Auburn men is exactly the difference in us and the turds. It is also the reason we have 1 back to back 10 win season in our history. We don't expect excellence. 

Just my opinion anyway

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

As far as Im concerned, we can delete this post. Effing leave SR alone. He puts it on the line week in & week out. Even bammers dont look for things to whine about like on this board. 

I LOVE this post and could not agree more. 

5 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

This is not correct. They expect excellence. And critique things that arent. This is no difference.

EVERY SINGLE ONE of our players puts it on the line week in and week out. Roberts isn't the exception.  

You guys get too sensitive about critiquing individual players. Critiquing isn't criticism. If people criticise, I'm right there with you, but this thought of not saying anything that could hurt a players feelings is for the birds. These guys play major FBS football. This kind of post is expected when things aren't excellent. 

But what do I know? I'm just a fan of college football, who has been to many teams games all over the nation This thought of not critiquing gameplay and coddling players just because they are Auburn men is exactly the difference in us and the turds. It is also the reason we have 1 back to back 10 win season in our history. We don't expect excellence. 

Just my opinion anyway

Exactly. WHAT DO YOU KNOW. You're the same genius who, when we were hiring an OC, actually thought you had special insight into the Oregon coach because you live in Eugene, OR. That's a special kind of you know what. The problem is not coddling players, the problem is internet twits that couldnt hold Stephen Roberts' jock making silly comments like yours. It's laughable at best.

There's a lot to be confused about with all of our special teams.  Watching our kickoff returns, we could not be more predictable...we don't even think about left or right.  Gonna' get Iggy killed with the way the Updykes cover.  Those dudes are heat seeking missiles, and if they know he's going straight ahead, there will be an explosion.  Maybe we've been sandbagging?

I like watching punted balls bounce. SR has been letting them bounce all year, so .... I'm entertained.

Okay, real stats. In games between FBS schools, Roberts ranks #71 in punt returns on the season. On the list of punt returners, Roberts ranks #40.

Let's be frank. Auburn's special teams (other than Carlson kicking field goals and point afters) totally sux. Kickoff and punt coverage sux. Kickoff returns and punt returns sux. Punting sux. This is just fact.

Nobody fears punting or kicking off to Auburn. Nobody fears running kickoffs back or running back punts.

I'm sorry. Once again, I'm not pumping enough sunshine. I need to p[ump more sunshine. SR is the best punt returner ever.

8 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

There was one game where he put his hand up to fair catch it and got creamed right after and put the ball on the ground. I don't remember if we actually turned the ball over,  we may have got it back, I dont remember, but I do remember him putting it on the ground. In my opinion (and the announcers) it should of been a penalty for interference. 

While he has been reliable catching punts and not putting the ball on the ground, save that one time, he hasn't been spectacular at actually returning punts. When it is kicked to him, 95% of the time he fair catches. We basically have 0 threat to return a punt. This is most likely an issue with blocking and not Roberts. 

Pretty sure the player that hit him also got called for targeting and was ejected. I’m sure we got the ball.

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Pretty sure the player that hit him also got called for targeting and was ejected. I’m sure we got the ball.

You would be correct.

Archived