What is the key to an IB win?

tigeraddikt

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

I just hope the officiating is fair

or that we paid them more :P

If the game is close in the 4th Q, it won't be. Even at Jordan Hare. Bank on that. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Double coverage on Calvin Ridley 

control the line of scrimmage on offense and defense 

contain Jalen Hurts

its simple really

I think the fans need to be a factor also - loud!!!!

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I just hope the officiating is fair

or that we paid them more :P

The key? Three words: Tear-away jerseys

I think the key is energy. We've seen it. When this team comes out pumped and loose, there's no stopping them. They feed off of each other and just keep getting stronger. When they come out cold, it's a fight to get going.

I think the fans are going to play a big part in it, too. The louder the crowd gets the more pumped up they get and the more mistakes our opponents make. I personally want to see Saban loose his cool because the noise plus Holland causes multiple false starts.

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Not that simple. Other than Kerryon he is the most underrated player in the country. 

I don't know how people underrate Hurts -  he is the MVP of that team without any doubt.   If UAT wins, it will be on his shoulders... and his legs.  He is Nick Marshal - but a MUCH better passer.   Once he is outside of the pocket - he can change the game in an instant, whether he throws or not.  -  

UAT is solid, top to bottom, but Hurts is the only part that truly scares me.  

14 minutes ago, jtauburntiger said:

I don't know how people underrate Hurts -  he is the MVP of that team without any doubt.   If UAT wins, it will be on his shoulders... and his legs.  He is Nick Marshal - but a MUCH better passer.   Once he is outside of the pocket - he can change the game in an instant, whether he throws or not.  -  

UAT is solid, top to bottom, but Hurts is the only part that truly scares me.  

Of course, Hurts has yet to face a top 10 D this year. The best they've faced so far was LSU and they held him to 44 yard on the ground and a 46% completion ratio for 183 yards.

The next best D they faced was Mississippi State, who held him to 40 yards on the ground (2.1/attempt). He burned them through the air, but he still only completed 56% of his passes and 70% of his passing yards came in 4 passes to Ridley.

I believe our D is good enough that is we can lock Ridley down, we'll make Hurts look average.

18 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

IMO, Gus should NOT take his foot off the gas even if we're up something like 28-14 or 31-14.

Gus shouldn't take his foot off the gas if we are up 52-6 with 5 minutes left in this game. 

14 hours ago, CountStandya said:

Passing the ball..aka Oklahoma and Ohio state...also remember Utah state and Lousiville back in the day....that's how you beat bama.  That's been their weakness for years...that's why ole miss beat them twice.

This is absolutely the key, the rest is just window-dressing. The OL is going to have to play like they did against Georgia instead of ULM, or it will be a replay of the Clemson game.

I think the key is going to be the deep ball.  We have struggled against good corners to hit the deep ball.  If we can find a way to connect on some long passes then that will force them to back the safety up for help and give KJ room to work.  If their corners shut our WRs down then we are in for a rough afternoon.

I think our current little number 9 is going to do a Trey Smith on Bama. Kerryon goes out for a play and little man takes off on one to give us the lead we never surrender. Big change of pace throws the defense off.

Auburn 23 UAT 17

We need to start fast, be fast in the middle, and end fast.  People would win a lot more races if they would follow my advice.  :dunno:

7 minutes ago, WDavE said:

I think our current little number 9 is going to do a Trey Smith on Bama. Kerryon goes out for a play and little man takes off on one to give us the lead we never surrender. Big change of pace throws the defense off.

Auburn 23 UAT 17

Yes Kam would give us a big boost and change of pace but Gus won't give him the chance.

Everyone has brought up good points. We can't afford not to make the routine plays. We need to convert on some deep balls, and as I said before the Clemson, LSU, TAMU, and UGA games -- this is the reason we brought Stidham in here. Because when we play teams as talented as us usually they will slow our run down to where our ground game alone will not be enough.  So we will need to make Bama pay through the air.

Also, I really think our special teams (sans Carlson) is keeping us from being great. We need to eliminate any possibility of big returns. Our margin for error is not very big against Bama so this is paramount IMO and can turn the game in a matter of just 1 play.

Just like UGA, the D-line has to get a push up front.  That disrupts their run game, makes the QB have to throw over them and throws off the timing of the passing attack.  If we 3 and out them long enough their DL will wear out like UGA and we can run it on them in the 4th quarter.  Push from the DL is the biggest key to beating them.

Another big key for us is punting and kick coverage.  We can't let their guy get off 50 yard punts while our guy does 35.  We lose 15 yards a possession in what will likely be a defensive battle.  And we can't let them get loose on kick returns.  This has become Achilles heel for this team and it will lose this game for us if we let it happen again.  

13 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Double coverage on Calvin Ridley 

control the line of scrimmage on offense and defense 

contain Jalen Hurts

its simple really

I think the fans need to be a factor also - loud!!!!

We need Jarvis on Ridley. He is the fastest guy we have and he has great closing speed. JH doesn’t throw crisp passes. Jarvis can take them away. Again the thing is not to give JH wiggle room. Make him throw Quick. That is not his cup of tea. I think our DL can sack him well

On 11/19/2017 at 4:35 PM, WFE12 said:

JD is healthy again. Time to start him over Dean. I'm afraid Dean will cost us with PI penalties.

That's my man crush!

Keeping our special teams, aside from extra point squad, off the field. 

When you think about it special teams  average about 20 percent of plays during a single game.

This scares me to death this year because our ST play has been the worst I can remember in over 45 years of AU football.

That said....War Eagle and Beat Bama ;)

Archived