Hofstra - Preview / Review

JwgreDeux

Our Tigers are 1-1 in the Charleston Classic following our first two games on back to back days. Following a day off, we get back in action tonight vs Hofstra. Hofstra is 3-1 including a win over Dayton in the opening round of this tourney, and likes to play small and slow. they run a three guard set and prefer a half court game and should present a favorable match up for our team. With Murray at the 4, we should match up well and look to play pressure defense and a fast pace on offense. Maybe we will find a way out of our shooting slump and make some shots. 

The only think lingering from the Temple loss that bother's me is Heron's play. He has been off his game some early in the season, and I'd like to see CBP have some set plays ready to try and put him in favorable situations to get some easy baskets early and get going. We need him if we are going to have a productive year, and so far he is currently averaging 10 pts a game, 4 rebs, shooting 15% from 3 and 28% from the floor. With those numbers from our best player on the floor right now, we won't win many games. Simply put it has to get better. The good news is, there is little reason to think it won't improve. He has been the model of consistency during his time on the Plains, and I'm looking for an effort from our team to get him going tonight. Part of that include Brown dialing it back a bit on the offensive end. He has been forcing the issue more this year, and in situations that don't fit his skill set best. I'd like to see him settle down a bit. 

We are favored by 10 points or so, and should be. If Hofstra is in this game, it is due to our energy and execution. Hope to see our guys respond with a big effort tonight and get a W to close out the tourney. Coming home 2-1 is a good trip and something to build off of. 

War Eagle!

——————————————————————-

Well that was a second half that we can build off of. For a change our defense clamped down at the half. Last game I criticized CBP for not adjusting to Temple’s small lineup in the second half, this game he adjusted our defense. In his post game interviews he said he switched up every matchup. I’m not sure that really happened, but he did move Brown to their best off ball scorer, and we started switching more screens on the perimeter.  Both adjustments led led to fewer open shots. 

Great to to see Heron go off. He looked great and Murray was again a solid contributor across the board. 

I️ think 2-1 was about the expectation going into this tourney, so I’ll take it and hope we build off the experience. 

Sorry to to be so short but I’m traveling for the holidays, hope to squeeze a preview I️. Before it’s too late. 

War Eagle!

Archived