Tre Threat

aufan57

Tre Threat, the only linebacker Auburn signed in 2016, has apparently changed positions again.  I thought he had been moved to the Buck position, but Saturday he had mop up duty as the 3rd or 4th string HB. Wore #18. How does it help in roster management when your only linebacker taken in a particular class, is now playing a different position on the opposite side of the ball?

21 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Means he wasn’t good enough to see the field on the other side of the ball.  Add 20-30 pounds and see if he can block and be useful to the program.  

Mic. Drop.

Not a knock on Threat, but LB recruiting has improved drastically since he signed. Prob the only chance he has to ever see the field at AU.

36 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Means he wasn’t good enough to see the field on the other side of the ball.  Add 20-30 pounds and see if he can block and be useful to the program.  

bryan-cranston-mic-drop.jpg

My complaint is you cannot have the only linebacker in a class flame out at the position and then in the following year only sign two linebackers (Britt and Wooten).  I know Moultry was signed as a linebacker but is now playing DE. In future years this can create depth issues.

1 hour ago, CR said:

Not a knock on Threat, but LB recruiting has improved drastically since he signed. Prob the only chance he has to ever see the field at AU.

Kinda like TJ Neal a couple years back. Basically signed on to watch an eagle fly a few times.

10 hours ago, aufan57 said:

My complaint is you cannot have the only linebacker in a class flame out at the position and then in the following year only sign two linebackers (Britt and Wooten).  I know Moultry was signed as a linebacker but is now playing DE. In future years this can create depth issues.

Your concern is spot-on. Thweatt didn't work out at LB, and historically roughly half of the prospects signed at the position don't contribute at LB. We need a minimum of three in this class just to maintain. I have watched years of crappy LB recruiting turn into years of crappy defenses. We're better right now because the recruiting took a step up, we signed 5 LB in the 2015 class and it's paid off. The falloff to only one in '16 (Thweatt) was disturbing. To repeat, we need to sign three really good LB prospects this time.

Tre was gonna be a tweener in college.  In HS, he essentially played OLB and excelled but doesn't have the speed for that position on the SEC level.  He's not quite big enough for DL either.  I often wondered why not move to middle LB on run downs, like Tre Williams.  He could be asset on offense, as he played some HB/TE in HS.  Needs coaching and attitude to succeed. BTW, he seems to be good kid....family lives about a mile down the road and fly AU flags all the time.  (My daughter graduated w him from SF)

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Kinda like TJ Neal a couple years back. Basically signed on to watch an eagle fly a few times.

Yeah, completely forgot about that guy. We didn't even seem to use him in mop-up duty.

I gave TJ Neal some crap before the season started last year but I do remember him making a nice tackle on Fournette when he had to step in for injuries. I gotta give some love to anybody that can do that.

3 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

Tre was gonna be a tweener in college.  In HS, he essentially played OLB and excelled but doesn't have the speed for that position on the SEC level.  He's not quite big enough for DL either.  I often wondered why not move to middle LB on run downs, like Tre Williams.  He could be asset on offense, as he played some HB/TE in HS.  Needs coaching and attitude to succeed. BTW, he seems to be good kid....family lives about a mile down the road and fly AU flags all the time.  (My daughter graduated w him from SF)

If he was from SF he certainly wasn’t going to ever be big enough...

I thought Tre was always overrated as a high school player.  No speed.  I wasn't trying to be disrespectful in my response but if you work your tail off and you do the right things you shouldn't be culled from the program in my opinion.  You never know he might turn into a bruising fullback that can contribute for a season.  Or a terror on special teams or possibly just a solid contributor that fills a role.  

17 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

As long as we have TWill at LB coach I’m feeling really good that he has things in order.

T_Will cannot make linebackers out of thin air. If we don't sign 'em he can't develop them. Note UAT: they sign a monster class at LB every year and today they are shorthanded at the position. It takes more numbers than people want to believe.

We certainly don't need to back off on any position on D if we are to sustain what we have now. It can be destroyed by one year of bad or lax recruiting. Agree with Mikey, this has got to be a priority each year. 

21 hours ago, Mikey said:

T_Will cannot make linebackers out of thin air. If we don't sign 'em he can't develop them. Note UAT: they sign a monster class at LB every year and today they are shorthanded at the position. It takes more numbers than people want to believe.

No I meant TWill will find the right ones. I have trust in him. He can take a two star make a winner out of him.. He is as good as it comes. And I will tell you in my opinion the best LB group on the field Saturday will be wearing blue and orange.WDE

On 11/21/2017 at 2:35 PM, Mikey said:

Not to mention that they run the 3-4. They have to snatch up as many LBs as they can.

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Not to mention that they run the 3-4. They have to snatch up as many LBs as they can.

They have signed 15 LB's in the past four classes. If we need only 3/4 as many lb's, we should have signed at least 11. We signed 9 and it's looking like we might get only two more this year. Remember what our defense was like in '12, '13, '14, '15? When we weren't signing enough LB's? It can get back to that in a hurry. I don't care for Muschamp, but in his one year here he got us 5 linebackers in one class and that's still paying off. Those guys will be done after next year and we'll be right back in the soup if our staff doesn't address this ASAP.

On 11/20/2017 at 8:20 PM, Mikey said:

Your concern is spot-on. Thweatt didn't work out at LB, and historically roughly half of the prospects signed at the position don't contribute at LB. We need a minimum of three in this class just to maintain. I have watched years of crappy LB recruiting turn into years of crappy defenses. We're better right now because the recruiting took a step up, we signed 5 LB in the 2015 class and it's paid off. The falloff to only one in '16 (Thweatt) was disturbing. To repeat, we need to sign three really good LB prospects this time.

Not to mention the top LB we signed last year got moved as a pass rush lineman. 

Archived