Barkley Statue Unveiling

TigerOne

Saturday at 11 at the scholarship entrance at Auburn Arena.

Should be entertaining

Appreciation night for Charles is Friday evening during the Winthrop game.

Not sure how i feel about a Barkley statue and i really like Charles. Easily the most recognizable bball player to ever play at AU but what did he accomplish at AU to deserve having a statue? I'm cool to open up the statue's to non-football athletes but wondering what the criteria is for getting one. Football is pretty cut a dry....have a heisman or you don't get a statue. 

Yeah, I think there were guys who did more at AU, but Barkley is the most recognizable to recruits. And let's be honest, this is about impressing recruits, not honoring Barkley.

The next most significant AU player would likely be in line for one as well.  That guy was incredible!  He could hit that turn around jump from the top of the key and would have been even more dominating if the three point line had been in play in his day.  He was like a rifleman.  I say time to consider one for Chuck P............

Ooh. Wait.

Nevermind. 

Oh no, not another statue of a someone whose greatest life achievements came from playing a game.

I  love sports, Auburn, and Barkley.  But I hate to see people idolized by making statues of them.

Where's the statue of the guy who live-donated a kidney to my wife 14 years ago?

I'm all for it. A basketball HALL OF FAMER is an Auburn Man and deserves to be recognized. We need to be super proud that Charles Barkley came through the Auburn program. 

I am super happy Barkley gets a statue.  The univ is for the students and recruiting will benefit from recognizing iconic figures.   

The next obvious statue is Frank Thomas.  

I think Mel Rosen should be considered for some kind of recognition at the track.  Hang on, surely we have a new track somewhere don't we?  I saw the old track 2 yrs ago and ....

How about our swim program?  Do they recognize their great athletes/olympians?  

He is considered a top 50 basketball player in the NBA all time (obviously there have been some new players that would make the list since then) and a Hall of Famer. He is still being recognized every day during the NBA season on TNT. He is as close as we get to top echelon basketball players in comparison to Heisman winners getting football statutes.  Chuck deserves a statue. 

20 hours ago, Beaker said:

I am super happy Barkley gets a statue.  The univ is for the students and recruiting will benefit from recognizing iconic figures.   

The next obvious statue is Frank Thomas.  

I think Mel Rosen should be considered for some kind of recognition at the track.  Hang on, surely we have a new track somewhere don't we?  I saw the old track 2 yrs ago and ....

How about our swim program?  Do they recognize their great athletes/olympians?  

I think Marsh certainly deserve a statue, but if we honored all of our individual NCAA championship or even just Olympic gold medalist with a statue, we might blow the budget. #bringbackMarsh

In the same era, Jordan (surrounded by a better team IMO) was a scoring machine typically dropping 40 ppg + 10 assists while Barkley dominated with a typical 30-35 ppg + 10-15 assists + 5 rejections/5 steals. He was almost unstoppable for almost a decade in the NBA and was not "close to legendary", he was epic. 

On 11/22/2017 at 1:15 PM, KolchakAU85 said:

Oh no, not another statue of a someone whose greatest life achievements came from playing a game.

I  love sports, Auburn, and Barkley.  But I hate to see people idolized by making statues of them.

Where's the statue of the guy who live-donated a kidney to my wife 14 years ago?

It's in front of a basketball arena. That's where basketball statues belong?

On 11/25/2017 at 12:36 PM, Tiger said:

Do people hate the football icon statues too? 

I’m one of “those” people.  I don’t like the statues for any sport.  I also didn’t like the field being named after pat dye.

I’m big on tradition but quite honestly (not talking about changing anything) my vote decades ago would have been against naming Jordan Hare anything but Auburn Stadium.

On 11/25/2017 at 3:14 PM, jj3jordan said:

Sir Charles is missing about half of his "round mound of rebound".  Must be a post AU statue. He had a tad bit more meat on him.

Do you know how much bronze costs these days?  I'm guessing the materials budget ran tight...like those shorts they wore back in the day.  Those loose trunks don't look too authentic.

Archived