Chip Kelly to Florida?-Edit-UCLA takes him

SCBusPilot

Chip Kelly Florida Bound

Chip Kelly has already reached an agreement to become the next head coach of the Florida Gators, but the deal he has in place allows him to explore other options for a short time. That’s what one report is claiming, at least.

Sports attorney Darren Heitner, who graduated from the University of Florida, reported on Wednesday that Kelly signed an agreement with Florida on Sunday. However, he apparently has a window where he can back out of the deal.

That seems a bit unusual, but it would help explain why a bunch of Florida players tweeted the exact same reaction on Sunday amid rumors that Kelly had agreed to become the next coach of the Gators. It certainly seemed like something had happened at that point.

Kelly has already met with officials from UCLA, and George Schroeder of USA Today reports that he turned down an offer from Tennessee. Believe it or not, Schroeder was told that UCLA’s association with Under Armour could be a potential issue for Kelly, who is close with Nike founder Phil Knight. The report also states that Kelly is intrigued by a potential coaching vacancy at Arizona State, where Todd Graham is believed to be on the hot seat.

Kelly went 46-7 in his four seasons at Oregon and took the team to a national championship game, so you can understand why he has so many offers from top programs. He should be able to instantly bring top recruits to any of the aforementioned schools, which is why teams are pushing to get a deal done before the early signing period in December.

4 minutes ago, cctiger said:

My guess would be if offered by the Uclans, he goes there.

I think he will demand a lot of improvements. UCLA is pretty much dead last in facilities in Pac 12. I mean their practice field is next to a hotel. All you have to do is check in and watch their practices. 

Golf, do you think Kelly could survive in the SEC? I am just not real fond of his coaching style and practices.

16 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I think he will demand a lot of improvements. UCLA is pretty much dead last in facilities in Pac 12. I mean their practice field is next to a hotel. All you have to do is check in and watch their practices. 

Stadium across town....

Not much to draw him in my view.

27 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Golf, do you think Kelly could survive in the SEC? I am just not real fond of his coaching style and practices.

Its the SEC east...everyone could survive there.

CCK to UF has been a "done deal" for a few days now (and about 2 different times) but . . . UCLA is intriguing.

CCK is comfortable on the left coast, has recruiting connections and knows the conference.

Facilities are an issue either way. More hands in the pot at UF? More money? Talent pool? 

Does it come down to best fit? Ego? Potential? 

36 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

So, why doesn't Oregon make a push to bring Kelly back?

Four letters... N C A A. Oregon would be in permanent cross hairs if he went back.

Chip Kelly is a great coach. I definitely don't want to see him in the SEC--though I think UF would be a better fit for him than UCLA.

I would love to see Kelly at UF. The SEC to be trending down and the ACC/Big 10 trending up although I'm not sure they caught us yet. The more fierce the competition the better AU will get. It would help all if the major schools became a tough game each year.

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

Its the SEC east...everyone could survive there.

Need some improvement in that division. 

SEC used to brag that it was strong from top to bottom. Now it is not even strong from top to middle.

Florida reportedly has told Chip 'thanks but no thanks'.  

Apparently there was an agreement in principle last Friday but part of the agreement was Kelly had the opportunity to talk to two other schools. WTH? SMH. Why would UF do that?  Anyway, he had a week to let UF know.  The week was up and they told him to take a hike. 

9 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Florida reportedly has told Chip 'thanks but no thanks'.  

Apparently there was an agreement in principle last Friday but part of the agreement was Kelly had the opportunity to talk to two other schools. WTH? SMH. Why would UF do that?  Anyway, he had a week to let UF know.  The week was up and they told him to take a hike. 

that is def spin. chip just prefers ucla to them.

26 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

that is def spin. chip just prefers ucla to them.

Classic telling your boys that you broke up with your ex instead of saying how she dumped you move 

Just now, Tiger said:

Classic telling your boys that you broke up with your ex instead of saying how she dumped you move 

lol spot on from personal experience! TIGER with the line of the dang day!

If FU told Kelly to take a hike, then kudos. I'm still not sold on him. He'd last a season or 2 in the SEC before the DL that live in the SEC wreck his offense.

Archived