Getting this off my chest

abw0004

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Don't give him too much credit or them too much grief. He was rusty. The game was moving very fast for him as he got comfortable playing in a much more complicated offense than he was used to. They came along together.

I agree, but still. 11 sacks? It's a combination of everything but he would've never settled in if the o-line wouldn't have stepped up 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AU-Allen said:

Gus, finally got smart. If there had not been that huge backlash from our fan base we would have finished much differently. Gus insisted on calling plays. The games we lost (that we shouldn't have) were because of him and his clipboard. As for Gus if he is smart he has learned his lesson and will back the bank trucks up at his coordinators houses. He deserved and still deserves every criticism he has received and will receive.  

You give yourself WAY too much credit. Fan backlash had nothing to do with it. Gus wants to win. He was going to do what it took to win whether the fans complained or not.

But hey, I'm not trying to argue or disagree with anybody. We all pull for the same team. All together the entire team. Including the coaches stepped it up. Proud of all of them.

2 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I agree, but still. 11 sacks? It's a combination of everything but he would've never settled in if the o-line wouldn't have stepped up 

I'm with you... the line had to come together, too, but Stidham held the ball way too long in the first 3 games. It was a team issue that honestly isn't surprising installing a new O and the equivalent of a freshman QB in said O.

7 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Well, when you're called an idiot, stupid, etc...it feels pretty damn good to say told you so 

Being personally called an idiot or stupid is wrong.  Being called out for idiotic or stupid comments is not.

wde

1 minute ago, AU-Allen said:

It got one sent home and the other saw the writing... Say what you will ;)

If you're talking about Jacobs, that was all about basketball and softball, not fans. You'd be surprised how little the AD cares about what the average fan thinks. The big money fans... that's a different story, but Jacobs was their boy, so they didn't want him gone.

As I see it, we all were right. Not in the name calling and ugly comments, but in the opinions that were stated here on this board. Was Gus not doing the best job of being a head coach at the beginning of the season? No, he wasn't. Did he deserve a chance to grow into the job (he'd only been head coaching for 5 yrs). Yes, he did. Did Gus need to change some things? Yes, he did. Did we need to have faith in him that he would? Yes, we did. As a fan base, we can express our opinions without being ugly to our coaches, our players, and each other. Do we need to learn that? Do we need to respect each other? Yes we do.

Kumbaya, folks! :Sing:

44 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

For the record, since my name was brought into the main argument, I took a leave of absence not because I was being attacked... I wasn't. I took a leave of absence because I didn't need the massive, often unsubstantiated negativity in my life. There area lot of people here who go negative at the drop of a hat and run with every crackpot theory that someone come's up with and preach it as truth. There is no point in me trying to explain things to those types of people, and no reason for me to read about the sky falling when I can focus on the positives elsewhere.

I honestly decided to call it a day when Bird and Loof went anti-Gus. I felt that if I disagreed with them, I was too far outside of the overall thinking around here to be of any value.

Preach 

Just now, 3rdgeneration said:

As I see it, we all were right. Not in the name calling and ugly comments, but in the opinions that were stated here on this board. Was Gus not doing the best job of being a head coach at the beginning of the season? No, he wasn't. Did he deserve a chance to grow into the job (he'd only been head coaching for 5 yrs). Yes, he did. Did Gus need to change some things? Yes, he did. Did we need to have faith in him that he would? Yes, we did. As a fan base, we can express our opinions without being ugly to our coaches, our players, and each other. Do we need to learn that? Do we need to respect each other? Yes we do.

Amen

wde

5 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I appreciate this so much. It covers all the bases perfectly. I will also say kudos to the VOLUME of crow-eating threads and posts. That takes a rare kind of humility and maturity to go public as such. Adversity on and off the field has played a crucial role in the development of us all...players, coaches, fans.  Players and coaches have echoed this, as well. Now that we are in celebration-expectancy mode, I pray we remember every shred of anything positive learned, forget anything of little ultimate consequence, and remember that in EVERY way, this is about so much more than any one opinion, about who's "right" or "wrong" at any given moment. Time, patience, creativity, release of control, confrontation, and encouragement all have a place in the big pic. 

P.S. So sorry. Just can't resist. :bananadance:

27 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Well, when you're called an idiot, stupid, etc...it feels pretty damn good to say told you so 

Bingo

27 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Being personally called an idiot or stupid is wrong.  Being called out for idiotic or stupid comments is not.

wde

That's what this thread was taking to (you weren't one if you were wondering).  It was the people who personally attacked us.  I was called more than just stupid though.  I know you saw those threads that I am referring to.  You and @aujeff11 know I can roll with the punches and can make fun of myself.  But a few times it got really personal when it didn't need to.  As I have always said, I respect everyone's opinions, and we are all a family, so no need to go to the extent some did.  

35 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If you're talking about Jacobs, that was all about basketball and softball, not fans. You'd be surprised how little the AD cares about what the average fan thinks. The big money fans... that's a different story, but Jacobs was their boy, so they didn't want him gone.

So glad to see you popping in more @lionheartkc.  You’ve been missed! 

23 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That's what this thread was taking to (you weren't one if you were wondering).  It was the people who personally attacked us.  I was called more than just stupid though.  I know you saw those threads that I am referring to.  You and @aujeff11 know I can roll with the punches and can make fun of myself.  But a few times it got really personal when it didn't need to.  As I have always said, I respect everyone's opinions, and we are all a family, so no need to go to the extent some did.  

Well if I ever called you stupid I apologize. I don't mean you are stupid only your comments hahahhaha I Kidd I, Kidd.

No really I cant recall if I did or not. If so, didn't intend to with you at least. You actually make valid arguments 

A lot of people were wrong, many many more wanted Gus fired after LSU, than those who wanted him to stay. Logically speaking this season was going to come down to Amen corner regardless of the LSU outcome. IMO The LSU game was a team loss, bad play calling, poor execution, missed tackles, special teams blunders etc. However the coaches and team were able to keep focus, stay motivated and recognize the goals of the season were still in front of them. But the most inportant thing they forgot about the loss. Some posters here would not let the LSU loss go. It was hard to post then because they were dominating the board, ridiculing anyone that was still supporting Gus. I mean Gus was called “rainman” to doofus, and so much other crap I forgot.  And the fans that supported either had their head in the sand or did not understand football as much as them. Many were told “you must accept mediocrity.” I saw a team that was still playing hard and a coach that finally realized you can’t be a nice coach in the SEC (competition wise) when you can dominate, you dominate and worry about it later and have fun in the process. Gus kept this team focused through a tough loss, injuries, media onslaught about his job security, not to mention all the no nothing arm chair fans who ran their mouth as so called experts. Everybody has a voice to be upset when the team does not perform as expected just don’t lose your mind about it. 

Just looking at some posters who replied to some of my posts....ouch...some funny stuff Lol...it’s cool though. We may not all experience losing the same way but we can all enjoy the excitement of winning together....WDE.

Comparing the LSU second half to the UGA/Bama second halves isn’t even close. LSU we were conservative and predictable. Atleast in the third quarters of UGA/Bama games, we stayed aggressive while being conservative. Using screens and throwback plays to take advantage of the over pursuit from both defenses. Those provided big time first downs or scores which allowed Auburn to drain clock and increase the lead. 

The LSU game featured predictable runs with ZERO motion while only throwing bombs on obvious passing situations. Just look at Ryan Davis’s targets between those games.

Always wanted Gus to get this thing going, BUT after LSU .... I was just so sure he just couldn't / wouldn't see how / too stubborn to make needed changes...

I was wrong.

and GLAD to be wrong... 

I hope he Continues to trust CCL to call the O game as much as he trusts CKS to call the D and continues to be aggressive on O and not sit on leads... I love the good game planning and IN GAME ADJUSTMENTS made.

He has truly Transformed in a single season into a Head Ball Coach. I love it.

I love that he is not like Saban or one of his disciples and he can go toe to toe with him and beat him. 

Ga win / game atmosphere brought in a tone of possible recuits and so did that bama game...

Now I think we just keep building and growing.

I never got off the bus, but there were times I was getting my luggage together.

I want Gus to be the greatest coach Auburn has ever had, which means he has to evolve as a coach.

We are seeing that

The LSU game may have been the best thing to happen for Gus. It taught to him not to sit on leads and keep the foot on the petal(Old Gus is back.. Boom)... Imaging what would happened if we would have won that game by sitting on that lead... 

I have seen a different team since the LSU game. All around on offense. All those crossing routes yesterday were new. Go back to the texAnM game thread people were calling our defense overrated and still wanted Gus fired. Folks just too quick to go crazy and fire a coach. It depressing to positive fans when there is still EVERYTHING to play for. This team has always competed hard under Gus. I don’t recall any real blowout loss where we didn’t fight. The coach who can keep the team from folding when fans already have is special. But we have steadily improved all year except for one half of football. Every aspect of offense improved. 

Archived