So now that I've calmed down and had a good nights sleep...did anybody else notice how far across the line of scrimmage Hurts was on that Last play? I think the sec should review that and take those yards away since it was definitely a illegal forward pass that helped make his stats look better than They actually were.

It was flagged but I think we declined the call--accepting the penalty would have given them another chance to get one more play off when we already were trotting on the field, so the completion stands.

3 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

It was flagged but I think we declined the call--accepting the penalty would have given them another chance to get one more play off when we already were trotting on the field, so the completion stands.

Wouldn’t there be a runoff if we accepted plus a loss of a down?

1 minute ago, AUDynasty said:

exactly.  The play was flagged.   The penalty was declined to end the game No reason to give uat another play.  Besides, with all the fans rushing the field, there's no way they would have gotten it cleared to run another play anyway.  We already know we controlled the game.  1 play at the end with the game already decided doesn't matter.

I saw on twitter that the play was taken off the total yardage.  I would go back to post it but I’m too lazy.  Thought it came from one of the top Auburn bloggers 

5 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Loss of down, though, is correct, which would have left the clock at 0:00. Right?

I didn't think about that aspect of it.  You are right. Clock at zero and with accepting the penalty, its loss of down, so the game would be over.  Good catch on that.

3 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I didn't think about that aspect of it.  You are right. Clock at zero and with accepting the penalty, its loss of down, so the game would be over.  Good catch on that.

I thought I overheard the refs announcing the call and they did say loss of down, so I don't think they allowed it to be declined.

i was hoping for a TD and failed two point conversion. My Mom watched the game at our house and had 6-0 on a square(pool$) that paid 2500$ for the final score. That is why I will not get on a square board when Auburn is playing. 

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

Besides, with all the fans rushing the field, there's no way they would have gotten it cleared to run another play anyway.  We already know we controlled the game.  1 play at the end with the game already decided doesn't matter.

Actually that would have been fun for Alabama trying to score while 87,000 of us were defending.  That how Hurts probably felt all day...

29 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I thought I overheard the refs announcing the call and they did say loss of down, so I don't think they allowed it to be declined.

It's not up to the official to "allow it to be declined".  It's the option of the offended team.

3 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

It's not up to the official to "allow it to be declined".  It's the option of the offended team.

How about explained to Gus that accepting it would end the game so he changed his mind. Point being, I heard them explain the call, including the 5 yards and loss of down, and it wasn't followed by "That penalty is declined".

Archived