Florida hires Mullen

gr82b4au

Poor things haha. I'm glad we didn't end up trying to get someone right now. Just not any ideal options out there! Especially when Chip slinked back to his West coast.

Establish the right culture and the sky is the limit with any coach.  Any coach up for an SEC job is going to be knowledgeable x and o guy.  It’s the recruiting, culture, and dedication to perfection that separate the good from the great.

Don't know why UF is so upset. Kelly chose the west coast and frost will probably be heading to Lincoln. Mullen is a solid hire

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Don't know why UF is so upset. Kelly chose the west coast and frost will probably be heading to Lincoln. Mullen is a solid hire

VERY good hire. He was ranked #1 with the school in STARKVILLE

If this happens, look out! Florida is gonna be dangerous. Definitely contrasts Tennessee's top target, who is rather underwhelming.

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Then proceeded to lose 3 of his last 4, which he seems to do every year.  

He has built some solid teams in Starkville, which isn't easy.  But he seems to choke St the worst times every year.  I think Florida is in for some decent years, but nothing up to their standards.

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

You think he will go?

Seen this discussion before and he has a ton of reasons to stay in Starkville.

He really liked the AD who's now at Florida. Seems to make too much sense for him not to go.

He will dethrone UGA in a few years and establish UF as the flagship team in the SEC East.  He can bring in top level talent and will have the Gators back in top form with 9-11 win season as the rule and not the exception. LSU is probably groaning about now knowing that UF will be a super hard nut to crack in the future.

16 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

He will dethrone UGA in a few years and establish UF as the flagship team in the SEC East.  He can bring in top level talent and will have the Gators back in top form with 9-11 win season as the rule and not the exception. LSU is probably groaning about now knowing that UF will be a super hard nut to crack in the future.

this is true

I kind of sense that this is like going back to Triple A ball for him....should quickly improve his record and not having the play AU and bama every year is a good deal for him. Should be able to step things up immediately at UF....just needs a QB which he seems to be able to manufacture from left over TEs or something. 

Better hire for UF than Kelly would've been I believe. I'm interested to see who his staff will be at UF. Recruiting has been hard to get a handle on for  him being at Miss St. He shouldn't be settling for diamonds in the rough anymore.

13 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I will never understand the love for Dan Mullen. He has done NOTHING at Mississippi State except lose to South Alabama. Has he even had a top 30 recruiting class? 

Best Mississippi State coach in over half a century. You have to go back to Allyn McKeen in the 30s and 40s to find a more successful coach. It's all relative. Mississippi State is the hardest school to win at in the West. 

5 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Heard him described by one of the talking heads the other day as the 2nd best HC in the SEC.....behind Nick.....of course that was before he lost to Ole Miss and Auburn beat bama.    Thought that was nuts and still do but he is certainly a solid hire for the gators. 

22 hours ago, AU64 said:

not having the play AU and bama every year is a good deal for him

Odds are he will have to still play one of them if he gets the gators to the sec championship game.

23 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Best Mississippi State coach in over half a century. You have to go back to Allyn McKeen in the 30s and 40s to find a more successful coach. It's all relative. Mississippi State is the hardest school to win at in the West. 

Great research, would you elaborate more, Barnacle? I've seen it written a lot and always wondered the specifics of why Mississippi State is so difficult...what makes it more so than Ole Miss. For me, it would have to be the cowbells.  I'm serious.

Putting down the Orange and Blue glasses, everyone in the nation vouches for Mullen's play calling skills and regardless of the fact that Florida is the house Spurrier built, Florida has the recruiting base and the brand power to compete with just about anyone. And Mullen is a seasoned SEC coach now, and experience is everything in the SEC. At worst Florida made a lateral move but I think they made the right hire given the coaching carousel landscape.

Archived