Best Auburn team ever?

SaturdayGT

I think this is one of the best all around teams I've seen. The defense is better than 2010's, and the offense is better than 2004's. Very difficult to say which of the 3 is best though, but I think the X-Factor freakshow that is Cam Newton is the the great equalizer.

3 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I think this is one of the best all around teams I've seen. The defense is better than 2010's, and the offense is better than 2004's. Very difficult to say which of the 3 is best though, but I think the X-Factor freakshow that is Cam Newton is the the great equalizer.

THIS. times 1000X.

2017s team is shaping up nicely. But not just Auburn, but CF as a whole had never seen a force like Cam before.

I like us better that 2004, And I'm personally not comparing us to '10, and '13. So it's the best all around team that I've seen in my 25ish years of paying attention.

This team has won nothing yet.  We don’t celebrate Division champions, we celebrate conference champs and beyond.  Next week can put them squarely in the “very good” teams category if they win.

If they lose they are just a regular good team that beat their rivals.  

3 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

How about best D ever? Its gotta be close...

That’s hard to gauge because of the new offenses.  They are very solid but not best ever. In my life 1988 defense was the best.  

In 1957 i think they gave up very few points.  Actually I think they held Tennessee to negative yardage for an entire game.  

I think the comparison cited "team".

2010 was a freak show.  Everytime we needed a 3rd conversion of less than 3 yds it seemed guaranteed.  We needed a game winning drive, we got it.  But that D was not good..  We had a few good players, esp Nick Fairley.

If we compare 2004 margins of victory to 2017, I think that might be a good start. Also, when I think about how we can strike from virtually anywhere with this team, I lean to 2017.  Also, our receivers are running after the catch with great skill.  HUGE improvements there!!

If we beat UGA, again, I vote this team b/c we will have beaten #1, #1 and prob #5/6 in 3 weeks.  Never been done in history.  Hard to argue with that.

Look, the 1957 team finished 10-0, gave up 28 points all year and won a national championship. This year's team has played two remarkable games. Then there's '58, '83, '93 '04, '10 and to be considered. This year's outfit has the making of a fine team but they are a long way from "best ever".

One other aspect to this is that our strength of schedule is now #1 in the nation according to USA Today. All three of the top three for SOS are 2 loss teams. SOS was high in '04, but not #1 as best I recall. Ditto for the other years, aside from 1983. 

This team has developed the foundation a team needs to have a chance at greatness. It is very good at the LOS on offense, defense and it has an excellent QB. Those 3 things are 'must haves' and then you can fill in around them with skill players. I don't know if it's the best ever at Auburn but it's right up there that's for sure.

IDK if they’d beat 2013 honestly. With these awful special teams and mobile QBs being able to find a consistent ~5 yards per run, I could see that NM RPO cooking us. I’d say the biggest mismatches there is their DBs trying to defend our wacky passing offense. Those DBs in 2013 were...If Gus/Lindsey had the brain, they’d probably just pick poor CDJ apart with NCM. 

I couldnt favor any team over 2013 with the caveat that Gus has the same second half mentality he does now. 

Archived