When political racism becomes racist...

SaturdayGT

My neice is a first grade teacher in Charlotte.  She told me something that blew my mind....OK, so being in Charlotte, she gets kids who are white and say alot of improper terms like "Aint got none". She corrects them and tells them the proper way to say "I dont have any" If they are black, there is some sort of dialect rule where she is not supposed to correct black kid for racial reasons. ...so basically,...she can only build communication skills, which are very key to a successful life, to only white kids. She cannot give those same skills to black kids because its racist. This is unbelievable to me...

It's unbelievable to me also.  I'm skeptical. This story needs more details.

If this is a directive coming from an administrator, it's shocking.  But considering the common missuse of terms like "good/well" or "fewer/more" - even by supposed professionals - it wouldn't surprise me. 

Atrocious grammer doesn't reflect intelligence, it reflects training. Nevertheless, it's crippling if you work in fields dominated by highly educated people.

Im not exactly sure on the rule and where it came from. I didn't really question her on it. I figured somebody who knows school systems better than me would have heard something similar and would have shed a little more light by now.  Since nobody has, Im thinking maybe this was just something another teacher told her or something along those lines. My niece also told me that she still will tell them the proper way to say things regardless of the rule or recommendation, so if its a rule, it doesn't seem to be strongly enforced. 

18 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

My neice is a first grade teacher in Charlotte.  She told me something that blew my mind....OK, so being in Charlotte, she gets kids who are white and say alot of improper terms like "Aint got none". She corrects them and tells them the proper way to say "I dont have any" If they are black, there is some sort of dialect rule where she is not supposed to correct black kid for racial reasons. ...so basically,...she can only build communication skills, which are very key to a successful life, to only white kids. She cannot give those same skills to black kids because its racist. This is unbelievable to me...

Believe me it is more common than you think  for teachers to have to treat minorities differently. My first wife was a teacher and later principal so I know first hand.

On 11/26/2017 at 10:35 PM, SaturdayGT said:

Old article. Speech and Language Therapist will tell you that dialects take exception to proper grammar in our schools, including black dialect. The therapist primary concern is other than grammar but a lot things they are to ignore. I am married to one that has mentioned it several times.    

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/05/nyregion/lingering-conflict-in-the-schools-black-dialect-vs-standard-speech.html?pagewanted=all

This is at evidence that Black kids are not getting a fair shake in life. Its like letting them walk through a mine field while steering the white kids away.  According to the NYT article, there seems to be all kinds of angles to teach this way, and there may be things I am not considering. It just seems to me that no angle will outdo teaching the fundamentals of language and communication to get ahead in life. Its just shocking to me...

The country is so effed up right now. I'm very ashamed of what I see and hear anymore. I hope and pray we get our act together soon.

On 11/26/2017 at 11:35 PM, SaturdayGT said:

My wife used to be a 1st grade teacher in CMS a couple of years ago; she said there isn't a system-wide rule, however neither of us wouldn't put it past the local admins (district/principal/etc.) to have a loose policy. My wife's school wasn't in the best part of town, she corrected their grammer all the time.

Archived