Things I Think I Saw (Auburn vs Alabama)....

JMR

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

Great Read and IMO it was the first game this year that Jaylon H realized it was not flag football WDE

Sir,

As always I enjoy reading your synopsis of our games.

I thought one of the things that the UAT offensive line did and got away with for the most part was engaging the defensive guys and clasping the outside postion of the  shoulder pads. I thought you had to keep you hands to the inside if you grabbed the player. A lot of times our player got steered and taken out of the play our held some before being let go.

Isn't that something you would have to teach?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When you look at the big picture of this game...Auburn dominated apart from their two scoring drives. Their early second half TD didn't phase our team at all. The offense went out there and got points.

You'll see Bama fans talk about how bad of a game they played as they did the same in 2010 and 2013. They should realize it's no coincidence that they have 'bad games' when they lose to us. Their miscues on the botched FG, early snaps, and dumb penalties aren't isolated incidents to only their team—they let the game get to their head.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WDavE said:

Sir,

I thought one of the things that the UAT offensive line did and got away with for the most part was engaging the defensive guys and clasping the outside postion of the  shoulder pads. I thought you had to keep you hands to the inside if you grabbed the player. A lot of times our player got steered and taken out of the play our held some before being let go.

Yes, it is taught. Nobody else gets away with it consistently. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Coach. Love your thoughts every week. The thing that excites me the most, whatever happens this coming weekend, is that Gus seems to have taken that LSU debacle as a real slap in the face and woken up to be the coach we all hoped he could be: aggressive, willing and able to make adjustments that make a difference (also prone to “cute” play calls like the weird 2-point try). Very proud of this team and staff- WDE!

1 hour ago, WDavE said:

Sir,

Yep, I saw this too.  Bammer has been getting away with this for years.  THis is what pisses me off about SEC officiating being so bammer biased.  I hardly see bammer being called for holding, but they sure like to call everybody else for it.

Edited by WeagleAU

2 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

^^^^^^ THIS was BLATANT and i posted in the game thread, the only way they could contain Holland without double teaming him the WHOLE game!!

and NEVER called...

HUGE Impact on them even though the stats don't show it HE controlled THEM.

Great pic by our new Photographer here...DSC_2955.jpg.ca64f5b17149075e08b87f37645dc241.jpg

Nice example.....

I use to warn players about letting this happen to them.  The offensive guy after gaining this grip  can steer you in the direction he wants to take you and it makes it really hard to disengage.

The UAT receivers blocking on the outside did this also.

• Like 1

A few things:

1. We're doing a fantastic job of containing scrambling QB's.  The last 4 or 5 defenses were notorious for being over aggressive and giving up huge running lanes to mobile QBs.  Saturday's pass rush was beautiful to watch our linemen work in tandem to contain Hurts and force out-of bounds throws.

2. We have sucked at throwing any type of screen for what seems like 2 decades... Ryan is a great athlete, Jarrett is a great QB, but most importantly, it appears we spend a ton of practice time working on those...the timing and ball placement is huge.  Glad to see it become a strength.

3. Short slants...finally.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 6

I saw the difference between UGA game and the UA game was Minkah (sp?) Fitzpatrick. He single handedly kept our offense from big plays and anytime they made a good play, there was 29. 

• Like 2

It's frustrating to watch Bama's offense get away with hold after hold after hold. But it's also satisfying that it didn't help them in the least bit.

I had to laugh when a Bama fan actually complained about the officiating in that game. Some people... :Sing:

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, AdamB said:

I saw the difference between UGA game and the UA game was Minkah (sp?) Fitzpatrick. He single handedly kept our offense from big plays and anytime they made a good play, there was 29. 

That dude is the truth. 

Love to see Moultry mentioned. Talk about living up to the hype.

And there's no one single play that defines this game and that's the best thing about it. We won this game from the first whistle to the last. We are the better football team, by no small margin. Gus is right. This one was different.

• Like 1

Big tip of the hat to Coach Garner for his outstanding recruiting and coaching. Our D line is consistently good under him, and phenomenal this year. How do you lose Lawson and Adams and actually get better? That's coaching and effort of the beasts we've had waiting in the wings. Huge kudos. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JGLEATON said:

^^^^^^ THIS was BLATANT and i posted in the game thread, the only way they could contain Holland without double teaming him the WHOLE game!!

and NEVER called...

Holland had a HUGE Impact on them even though the stats don't show it, HE controlled THEM even with the TE getting away with holding.

Great pic by our new Photographer here...DSC_2955.jpg.ca64f5b17149075e08b87f37645dc241.jpg

We should send this and multiple other pictures like it to SEC Officiating Officials for review and send the same pictures to Gary Danielson after his smart a## remark about Georgia sending in pictures to SEC Officiating Officials.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Splendid, Coach!

A few thoughts I had. In addition to agreeing with or learning from everything you said.

When Cox lined up wide, I told my wife to expect a quick pass there. Bama killed our receivers in those one on one blocking matchups on the quick WR screen, so that play was big. Just the same, it's a tell -- unless we have a complementary play. (Bama deserves credit for the quality of their corner play all night. Dang, they were tough.)

Our coaches really helped the OL by keeping 7 in to pass protect and by throwing those crossing routes. We've been calling for those things all season. We'll need them this Saturday too.

I've hated the Wildcat this year, even when it's worked. Johnson has never handed off. Well, he jump passed AND handed off. When you multiply the threat, the Wildcat is all the more deadly.

I nearly wet myself when Roberts made that tackle. You could tell Scarborough thought he'd go right through it and was surprised to go down. 

"Anyone who has ever wrestled competitively knows how exhausting that sport can be."

Damn straight! The only thing I ever did in life that comes close was when I was deployed in the Army. Wrestling is an exhausting sport. You literally expend every ounce of your energy every round....unless you aren't prepared.

31 minutes ago, Grinder said:

There is no way that Bama’s TE is the best blocker Holland has faced all year. He was clearly holding throughout the game. 

That's what bama has been doing for years. ;)

8 hours ago, JMR said:

Jeff Holland didn't pile up stats in this game, but he was unquestionably a factor in Alabama's disappointing offensive numbers. Holland played a very intelligent game, using his speed and leverage to keep Jalen Hurts from escaping the pocket.

This is such a good point ... Holland didn't hit the stat line but I noticed the same.

• Love 1

As for the name of the game, I'm following Charles Barkley's proclamation on the ESPN pre-game show:  this game will be known to me as the "Kick Ass" game.

• Like 2

Great observations (as always) Coach.  Love to read them every week and I hope you continue to do so as long as you're able.  You are spot on about the development of Stidham from the beginning of the season until now.  I've been impressed with his maturity and the way he handles interviews as well.  A couple of comments for you:  on the 2-point try, I was also wondering who (besides clueless announcers) is ever going to be fooled by the interior lineman split wide who raises his hands as if he is an eligible receiver?  It's just maddening.  And I disagree with you about the long KO return -- this has been a recurring problem all season long.  Kick coverage has been turrible.   This is an area that needs immediate attention. 

As someone who is goofy enough to record the game and then go back and look at plays in slo-motion.

I would like to give a shout out to a player who do a lot of dirty work and doesn't get much in the way of publicity.

Dontavius Russell

I enjoy watching him play....

• Like 7
  • Love 2