Things I Think I Saw (Auburn vs Alabama)....

JMR

16 minutes ago, WDavE said:

As someone who is goofy enough to record the game and then go back and look at plays in slo-motion.

I would like to give a shout out to a player who do a lot of dirty work and doesn't get much in the way of publicity.

Dontavius Russell

I enjoy watching him play....

In the uga game and this one, he has taken his game to another level. He was a HUGE factor in both. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, JMR said:

In the uga game and this one, he has taken his game to another level. He was a HUGE factor in both. 

After going back and looking the Williams kid at DT has picked his game up quite a bit...

Good omen to see as the season progresses...

Edited by WDavE
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AUDevil said:

2. We have sucked at throwing any type of screen for what seems like 2 decades... Ryan is a great athlete, Jarrett is a great QB, but most importantly, it appears we spend a ton of practice time working on those...the timing and ball placement is huge.  Glad to see it become a strength.

I can't believe in all of the praise about those screens that no one has mentioned the down field blocking. That is one of the main reasons these haven't worked as well since 2010 and one of the main reasons they do now. When Davis has to juke one guy instead of 2-3, it makes it a lot more likely to succeed.

• Like 4

Because of JMR, my friends think I'm a super smart football guy. Thank's JMR. Really. Not just kissing up here- you always 'splain it like no other. War Eagle.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, JGLEATON said:

Great pic by our new Photographer here...DSC_2955.jpg.ca64f5b17149075e08b87f37645dc241.jpg

10 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We should send this and multiple other pictures like it to SEC Officiating Officials for review and send the same pictures to Gary Danielson after his smart a## remark about Georgia sending in pictures to SEC Officiating Officials.

So I went back and THIS PIC is taken on the 4th and 1 play... with 9:09 left in the 2nd Quarter...

Holland has the TE BEAT possibly makes the play or at least blows the play up if not for the hold... and the only way TE keeps him off the QB is holding... 

QB gets just enough for the first down with Willams and Mathews making the stop... 

FOURTH and ONE...

No Flag.

Gary Danielson NOT ONLY doesn't point out the hold.... on the REPLAY he Commends the TE for doing a "NICE JOB pinning Holland" out there on the edge.. and allowing hurts to get the first down.

lots of "pinning" going on...

Shouldn't have made that 4th and 1

and it should have been a penalty...  and the NEXT play is the throwback push off jump ball TD to Jeudy...

I know we got some no calls too, and I know they "let em play" a lot and I'm fine with most of that especially if it doesn't really overtly affect the play...

But that was awful and also got them a TD... and Danielson / Verne Jr. on top of all that just really get's to me.

but I'll shut up now...

Edited by JGLEATON
Verne Jr.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, WDavE said:

Sir,

As always I enjoy reading your synopsis of our games.

I thought one of the things that the UAT offensive line did and got away with for the most part was engaging the defensive guys and clasping the outside postion of the  shoulder pads. I thought you had to keep you hands to the inside if you grabbed the player. A lot of times our player got steered and taken out of the play our held some before being let go.

Isn't that something you would have to teach?

I am pretty sure that holding by offensive linemen is a freshman level course at uat.......... At least I think I have seen the results of it for the last 40 or so years...........

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thank you @JMR for your insights all year, through the bad and the good (if not AUsome).  Between this and the all-access podcast y'all even make the tough times easier to take (kept me off the ledge after lswho) so I'm thrilled to enjoy your insights after this HUGE slice of football Heaven.  War Eagle sir!

• Love 1

50 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Thank you @JMR for your insights all year, through the bad and the good (if not AUsome).  Between this and the all-access podcast y'all even make the tough times easier to take (kept me off the ledge after lswho) so I'm thrilled to enjoy your insights after this HUGE slice of football Heaven.  War Eagle sir!

Thanks, 72!

On 11/27/2017 at 10:38 AM, NCeagle said:

Evans speared Stidham right in the chin on a late hit that was not penalized or even mentioned on the broadcast. *Looking at you Gary*.

Go look at the video of the game at the 7:25 mark in the 2nd quarter. After Evans tackles KJ, he tries to kick him in the chin.

(Evans whiffs on trying to tackle KJ on the next play which is joyful)

Edited by ClarkGriswold

17 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Holds on Holland and Davidson (back judge sees but does not throw the flag). That little TE got manhandled though. Excellent job by Holland forcing him backwards into Jalen.

Tremendous open-field tackle by Stephen Roberts on bama's Bo Scarborough on a key third down attempt. Roberts is around 185 pounds with his pads on, and Scarborough is a good 230. Not a form tackle for sure, but a tough one and one not everybody can make.

This was the play of the game for me. bamr's second drive of the second half. After scoring so easily on the first drive, should they score a td on this drive Auburn is in trouble.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:04 AM, JMR said:
For whatever reason, there are details about almost every Iron Bowl that seem to stick in our minds forever. I hear fans talk about "Bo over the top," or "Wrong Way Bo," "throwing deep to Ace Wright," "the Tillman Reverse," and on and on. This from people who can't remember whether they ate breakfast this morning, much less what they might have had.  I won't belabor the point by guessing which plays from this year's Iron Bowl will become recognizable for decades, but suffice to say, at least from an Auburn standpoint, it's one we will remember very well and very fondly.  I've been a college football fan for nearly the whole of a fairly long life, and don't recall ever having seen any team beat the number one-ranked team twice in a season, much less twice in a 14-day period. Yeah, I'll remember this one, for as long as I'm around to enjoy it. In the meantime, here are some of the things I think I saw in Iron Bowl #82, Auburn 26, Alabama 14.....

• Auburn opened the game with a variety of offensive formations. Not totally "new," but with little twists and tweaks that had to have caused Alabama some concern. Five wide, stacks to both sides, wide splits for the wide receivers, staggered splits, etc. Those things are small, of course, but have a surprising effect on an opponent's preparation and "tendencies" that have been drilled into players' head in the weeks leading up to the game.

• Saw one WR stack with H-back Chandler Cox lined up to block for a WR screen. Cox has lined up at WR before, and has even caught a pass out there, but him as a lead blocker for a guy like Ryan Davis is an exciting idea.

• Noticed that AU went nearly the entire game with Austin Golson at left tackle, Marquell Harrell at left guard, Dunn at center, and Braden Smith and Darius James at right guard and tackle respectively. Not sure why that combination was chosen, as I've thought Tega has been much improved in recent weeks, especially on pass protection. It may well have been because Harrell has improved to the point of being one of our "best five."

• On the subject of the AU offensive line, I was relatively happy with their play as a group this week. Yes, almost every one of them lost some battles.....that is going to happen when you are going against great competition.....but they all won more battles than they lost, which is pretty good considering the opponent. I thought the pass protection was, for the most part, very good.

• The growth of Jarrett Stidham over the course of the season has been remarkable. Sure, he had a great arm when he arrived, but he is a much, much better quarterback today than in September. He sees the pressure, recognizes the coverages, gets rid of the ball, etc. Early this season, I had my doubts about Chip Lindsey's reputation as a developer of quarterbacks, but he has earned my respect in that vein.

• Going into the season, we all recognized the potential in our defensive line. Those guys have certainly not disappointed, and their play vs Georgia and Alabama has been huge. They are tremendously talented, and they are very well-coached. It caught my eye once in the Iron Bowl when all four defensive linemen recognized an Alabama screen pass at the same time, and reacted accordingly. That's great coaching. Dontavious Russell, Marlon Davidson, Derrick Brown, Andrew Williams, Jeff Holland, and Nick Coe have ALL stepped up their game here in Amen Corner, and both individually and as a group, they've been instrumental in AU reaching the heights they currently enjoy.

• Jeff Holland didn't pile up stats in this game, but he was unquestionably a factor in Alabama's disappointing offensive numbers. Holland played a very intelligent game, using his speed and leverage to keep Jalen Hurts from escaping the pocket.

• Late in the game, when Auburn's pass rushers were nearly spent, Nick Coe made a couple of big plays. Reminded me that Coe was a national champion wrestler in high school. Anyone who has ever wrestled competitively knows how exhausting that sport can be. Coe pushed through the fatigue in the game and made a couple of key plays on a late Alabama drive.

• There's an old expression that goes, "The more things change, the more they stay the same". Although Gus Malzahn credited Alabama DC Jeremy Pruitt with "changing" the Alabama defense, they still brought the same two-man blitz from the wide side of the field that they were bringing in 2010. And as Gus pointed out on an ESPN show in 2010, there are ways to attack that scheme. Those were effective then, and were effective again in 2017.

• I've noticed Auburn freshman TD Moultry getting more and more playing time late this season, including in big games. Saw the youngster make a couple of excellent plays in this one, and, as is probably appropriate for a freshman stud, saw him get absolutely steamrolled by Alabama's Josh Jacobs on a kickoff return. He learned from the experience, though, as he nailed Jacobs on the next kick return. Experience is a tough teacher, but there's nothing better.

• Since Auburn won the game (and rather comfortably), I consider it ok to address the officiating. In short, I wasn't impressed. I don't have a problem at all with hard-nosed football, but I thought Alabama's Rashaan Evans should have been ejected for ripping off Stidham's helmet. Evans took a couple of other cheap shots that weren't called. I also don't mind "physical" pass coverage, but if you're going to allow it for one team, allow it for both.

• Seems like everyone's favorite football topic these days is "play calling." Fans talk about it, TV "experts" talk about it; even coaches talk about it. For my part, I thought Auburn's "play calling" this week was outstanding. With all their five-star players, the Alabama defense was slightly off-balance almost the entire game. The early Auburn onslaught on the perimeter had its desired effect, and the knot in the middle became looser and looser, allowing just enough room for AU to produce an "adequate" running game.

• Kudos to the Auburn secondary for limiting Bama WR Calvin Ridley to 3 receptions for 38 yards. There were mistakes made, but it's important to remember: when you are competing against a really good (can't bring myself to describe them as "great") opponent, you are going to lose a battle now and then. I thought the secondary played very well. Carlton Davis gets most of the credit for taking Ridley out of the bama offense, but I saw true freshman Jordyn Peters deny Ridley a critical catch once. Thought it was impressive that the youngster was trusted enough to be put in that position.

• Gotta give some credit to the Auburn crowd at the game. Made me proud when Saban told the CBS sideline reporter during his halftime interview, "I can't hear what you're asking me."

• I thought Chandler Cox played his tail off again. As I keep saying, when you go against real competition, you don't win every play. But Cox was a factor once again, and had a direct impact on the game.

• Did not like the fact that we chose to run the "tackle-not-really-eligible" play on the two-point conversion attempt. That trick play has been done to death, and fools nobody anymore. Time to retire that one permanently.  Please.

• Kudos to little Aiden Marshall for putting the ball down inside the Alabama five twice. And to the punt coverage players that were down there to down the ball.

• On Alabama's 55-yard kick return, I have no way of knowing, but I *think* the ball was supposed to be kicked to the left side, and it actually went to the right, which gave the return team a ready-made angle on the coverage. Thanks to the AU defense, no real harm came of that gaffe.

• Tremendous open-field tackle by Stephen Roberts on bama's Bo Scarborough on a key third down attempt. Roberts is around 185 pounds with his pads on, and Scarborough is a good 230. Not a form tackle for sure, but a tough one and one not everybody can make.

• Kerryon Johnson is a man. Enough said.

• I wasn't really sure what to think when Gus hired Kevin Steele as DC. Steele has been around forever, and I've always thought he was a little underrated. But let's face it, he's getting up there in years, and I wondered if he still had the fires. Well, he's been a fantastic addition to the AU football program. Alabama could not convert third downs, and could not keep their offense on the field. When Steele played lots of youngsters throughout the season, it hurt Auburn's defensive stats. But it built quality depth across the board, and that depth is paying huge dividends here at the end of the season. I'll be very disappointed if Steele doesn't win the Broyles Award this year.

• What can I say about Ryan Davis? 11 targets, 11 catches. I can remember lots of fans complaining about the WR screens last year. But with an athlete like Davis, those plays are dynamic. And it helps to have a QB who can put the ball on the money and get it out there quick. Davis, a former high school QB, is electric with the ball in his hands and a little open space.

I could go on and on about this game, and I'm sure it's one we'll all talk about for a long time. I was impressed with Auburn's preparation, at both the micro and macro levels. I was impressed with the players, playing with great emotion and passion, but keeping it under control. The game plan, in all three phases, was well thought out, and well taught. Bottom line, we have the players...and the coaches....to compete with anybody in college football.

If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time, and WAR EAGLE!!!!
DPhGuhgXkAAZ_eu.jpg

Corch I appreciate your review. I just had shoulder surgery no. 6 and I'm late to the party. Looks like those crossing routes played out pretty good...enuff for now...