Atlanta Tailgating

JBiGGiE

Can't afford to go to the game but I've got friends who live in Atlanta and thought it would be cool to tailgate the Championship Game. Anyone have any experience and/or advice on tailgating in Atlanta?

Hard to say with the aftermath of the GA Dome Implosion. I have only seen tailgating for the Falcons games and it is usually right outside the stadium near the Vine City MARTA station.

Be prepared for UGA fans.  Also traffic downtown will be horrible.  I suggest taking MARTA into town.

Agree with previous comments.

There is an area called The Gulch next to the dome where traditional tailgating happens. Might be dominated by Georgia fans, maybe not.

You can get huge beers for cheap in the CNN Center food court, and it gets LOUD in there. Expect some chants and songs to get traded. It can be fun.

Elliott Street Pub is right next to the dome. It will be packed.

If you take MARTA, walk to the 5 Points station after the game. It will take you forever to get on the train at either of the stops next to the dome. If you take Uber or Lyft, head to Castleberry Hill after the game, grab a drink somewhere and wait for your ride there. 

Go up to the roof of the Glenn Hotel while you're downtown and have a drink if the weather is nice.

Stats is an okay sports bar nearby. There's also Taco Mac in the CNN Center.

The main Auburn bars in town are North Highland Pub (my favorite), Bucket Shop in Buckhead and Diesel in the Highlands.

5 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Can't afford to go to the game but I've got friends who live in Atlanta and thought it would be cool to tailgate the Championship Game. Anyone have any experience and/or advice on tailgating in Atlanta?

I live here, tailgating isn't the best.  Pretty much scattered about in paid parking lots.  There used to be "the gulch", which was down below the Georgia Dome, but not sure if thats open since they just blew it up.

To be honest not sure how it is now with the new stadium, I haven't been yet.  I'll be having my first experience Saturday and then going to Falcons on Sunday.  Don't expect it to be anything like a college campus tailgate though.

13 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I live here, tailgating isn't the best.  Pretty much scattered about in paid parking lots.  There used to be "the gulch", which was down below the Georgia Dome, but not sure if thats open since they just blew it up.

To be honest not sure how it is now with the new stadium, I haven't been yet.  I'll be having my first experience Saturday and then going to Falcons on Sunday.  Don't expect it to be anything like a college campus tailgate though.

I LOVE the Benz. Of course, I was only going for United matches and got free tickets in the 200 level or better almost every time...

Everyone above stated it best, I personally would go to the CNN Center, even though it will be really packed.  Monster beers for very cheap (best in the area for sure), a ton of restaurants in there, giant TV's, lot's of seating and bathrooms.  Der BierGarten is just down the road from Stats, more giant beers and German food galour.  There's also 5 Seasons Brewing (although a bit further down) but doable with Lyft/Uber.

Atlanta, around the stadium, is not really set-up for tailgating yet.  Hopefully after they move the debris from the Dome this will change.  

3 minutes ago, BornAU76 said:

Everyone above stated it best, I personally would go to the CNN Center, even though it will be really packed.  Monster beers for very cheap (best in the area for sure), a ton of restaurants in there, giant TV's, lot's of seating and bathrooms.  Der BierGarten is just down the road from Stats, more giant beers and German food galour.  There's also 5 Seasons Brewing (although a bit further down) but doable with Lyft/Uber.

Atlanta, around the stadium, is not really set-up for tailgating yet.  Hopefully after they move the debris from the Dome this will change.  

I've been hearing people say the Dome are will be turned into a "green space", which I think would work for tailgating.  I think part of the deal with tearing down the dome was that they can't turn it into a parking garage/lot.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I LOVE the Benz. Of course, I was only going for United matches and got free tickets in the 200 level or better almost every time...

Yeah, I'm super excited, heard nothing but good things.  I found the Falcons tickets a couple weeks ago for $100/piece in 2nd level.  Just happened to work out that I'll now be going Saturday and Sunday.

50 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Guess that's a no

Affirmative.

There will be a lot of people in the area but it's not much of a tailgate friendly area since the stadium is jammed in to that location.  If you've never been in the area, MBS is right next to Phillips Arena and the Georgia World Congress Center to the north.  As mentioned previously they just took down the (relatively) old Georgia Dome about a week ago so that will be much the same as a huge construction zone on the south side.  You don't want to go much more than a block or two to the south or west unless you're looking for serious excitement.  Downtown, Centennial Olympic Park and the Georgia Aquarium are all to the east.  Fan Fest is in the World Congress Center and that's good to eat up an afternoon in pretty civil fashion or if you have kids in tow.  If you do decide to be in the mix, I would pre-arrange your TV viewing location...it's not anything like the Loveliest Village as there will not be tents and camp chairs and TV's everywhere.

4 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

You don't want to go much more than a block or two to the south or west unless you're looking for serious excitement. 

Very nice way of putting it. :Sing:

7 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Yeah, I'm super excited, heard nothing but good things.  I found the Falcons tickets a couple weeks ago for $100/piece in 2nd level.  Just happened to work out that I'll now be going Saturday and Sunday.

Nice! 

I wish the University would rent part of the GWCC(massive in size) and then sell tickets to fans to watch on a large screen with the Auburn audio feed.  Similar to the plan for Auburn Arena.  It's not like the game isn't sold out.

Archived