Tennessee targets DC Kevin Steele

ScottsboroAuburnFan

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Seen on ESPN. They are targeting him. Any chance he goes? I honestly think it wouldn't happen.

No

Some coordinators are meant to be coordinators. I think he's one of those types and I think he's old enough and wise enough to realize that he'd do much better, and enjoy being a DC than a HC, especially at Tennessee.

Just like Muschamp and South Carolina, if UT offers Steele the HC position, he would be a fool not to take the job.  However; I think Steele would have to be way, way down their list.  As good as he has been as our DC, Steele was a disaster as a HC.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

Just like Muschamp and South Carolina, if UT offers Steele the HC position, he would be a fool not to take the job.  However; I think Steele would have to be way, way down their list.  As good as he has been as our DC, Steele was a disaster as a HC.

wde

He would be a fool. He seems to be at the tail end of his career. If I am not mistaken, he has some sort of benefits package being in Bama. Part of the reason he left LSU from what has been previously posted. Lastly, UT has crazy expectations. Much more than USCe ever had. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Unless he's being motivated purely by money, I completely agree. 

Yep. UTENN is in desperation mode but I think he is like 3rd on the list. They really want Gundy. Their fans don't seem to happy with the idea of CKS.

It would depend on where he is in life. If he needs more money and TN offered him $3 or $4 mil a year then I am sure he would listen. I think he is quite happy at the moment. As a matter of fact, during a broadcast earlier this year I think they said this was the best job he has ever had when referring to at any of the colleges he worked for in the past. 

Here's hoping this coaching team stays together for a few more years. Eventually, Steele has the capacity to build our defensive program to a level that if he left we would be just fine with another coach- kind of like Pruitt replacing Smart. It started with Muschamp and exploded with Steele and hope it continues forward

40 minutes ago, DAG said:

He would be a fool. He seems to be at the tail end of his career. If I am not mistaken, he has some sort of benefits package being in Bama. Part of the reason he left LSU from what has been previously posted. Lastly, UT has crazy expectations. Much more than USCe ever had. 

I was talking merely from the money difference.  Getting paid 4X what he is getting paid to be a DC would be hard to pass up.  No doubt UT has crazy expectations.

wde

Said in another thread....I believe he has 1 more season left to be fully vested in the state for retirement. His next coaching move is to retire.

1 minute ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

LMAO, I also never watch Finebaum much. But he just told Larry, that if Bama makes the playoffs and beats Clemson and plays AU they would lose by 24 instead of 12.

I saw that too. They would lose any minds they had left. It would be epic?

NOOOOO! Please leave Coach Steele alone!!! He is a great DC and fits in well at AU. We finally have stability on that side of the ball after years of  upheaval and disarray. TN can't have him!

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep. UTENN is in desperation mode but I think he is like 3rd on the list. They really want Gundy. Their fans don't seem to happy with the idea of CKS.

Mike Gundy played QB at OSU. He loves it,and he has built that program up piece by piece. The Cowboys have been his life's work. Why would TN think he'd want to leave now when his hard work is starting to pay off? He has everything he wants in Stillwater.  I'd be shocked if he ever left of his own free will.

Their roster is in need of a complete rebuild. Whoever takes the job is going to have at least a 3-4 year rebuild. And it is a very dysfunctional fan base and AD office. I believe Steele probably knows that. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Their roster is in need of a complete rebuild. Whoever takes the job is going to have at least a 3-4 year rebuild. And it is a very dysfunctional fan base and AD office. I believe Steele probably knows that. 

They're gonna build that roster up brick by brick :-\

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

They have been rebuilding for a decade. I'm not sure if it's called rebuilding at this point. More like, building.

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Mike Gundy played QB at OSU. He loves it,and he has built that program up piece by piece. The Cowboys have been his life's work. Why would TN think he'd want to leave now when his hard work is starting to pay off? He has everything he wants in Stillwater.  I'd be shocked if he ever left of his own free will.

It's public knowledge that Gundy and mega booster T Boone Pickens don't get along very well.  I also heard that Gundy feels he has peaked as far as what he can accomplish at Oky State. 

Archived