Tennessee targets DC Kevin Steele

ScottsboroAuburnFan

I already discussed this in the Steele thread, as I live in Knoxville. Steele played LB at Tenn and got his start in coaching under Johnny Majors at UT. So, if alma mater comes calling and offers a gazillion dollars .....

That said, Auburn admins ***ought*** to reward the coaches top to bottom for this year, regardless of the SECCG outcome. They have done a great job, and that is especially true of Steele and the defensive coaches.

I don't think Steele is eager to leave Auburn. I can think of other scenarios that would be more attractive to him than the UT job. But ya just don't know -- when alma mater comes calling with wads of money in her hands ........

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I have a better chance of being UT's next HC than Coach Steele! Just kidding folks!   I just think his name is being tossed out there because he is an alumni at UT and he would be one of the last choices out there. He is a super DC, but is not HC material at this point in his career. He will stay DC at Auburn for the next 2-5 years and retire. He has a good thing going and he knows this.

Gundy could be the man. Honestly, I do not see why UT is not after Norvell at Memphis. He is going to be a super coach and a great find for any team looking to upgrade their HC position.

I have wondered the very same thing. Coming from Memphis he would probably bring a small following with him. After the Butch Jones debacle I would think UT would be looking for a name with head coaching experience. I know he was once head coach at Baylor but that was a long time ago and it didn't go well. I hope he stays with the Tigers and continues to build the defense.

Steele would owe AU $500k in buyout if he were to leave. He currently makes $1.1M/yr. Champ was scheduled to make $1.7M at AU when he left. I think, based on the body of work, we have room to bring Steele up to market rates. Agree we need staff continuity for another 2 yrs.

5 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I would love him to get a nice raise and coach at AU until he retires.

This

I don't want to do this, but I will take Tennessee's money and coach there if it means Coach Steele stays at Auburn.  

I will only do it for Auburn.  

Where do I send my routing number for my direct deposit from UT?  

You guys and gals owe me one!

A nice annual raise and some bonus money from the boosters will hopefully take care of him. I think Coach Steele is also smart enough to know it will take several years to build that program up. That is a big factor at his age.

Seems like I read yesterday that Malzahn said when he hired Steele that he said he was done looking for head coaching jobs in his career.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I WILL LOSE MY GOT DANG MIND if another schools complete incompetence and just overall general toxic environment results in the inability to hire a qualified candidate that they have to resort to hiring one of our coaches. Last year it was annoying enough Ole Miss being so radioactive they had to hire a position coach in Crime Dawg to come be their DC. This would be way way way worse. 

Jimmy Hyams is as homer as it gets and this was pulled from the air. UT fan base is infatuated with anyone who has ties, direct or indirect to UT. THe UT job is a complete rebuild from a roster and operational standpoint. I cant see Steele getting into that fracas at this stage of his life. By the way, Hyams also recently stated that UT is a much better job than TAMU. UT has lost their mind. WDE???

I'm not sure too many people are going to want anything to do with that messy of a situation that they have in Knoxville currently. 

If I was UTk, I would go hard after Tee Martin.  Yes, he will have some OJT(just like Gus), but he is consistently one of the best recruiters, he has a good offense, the fans would rally behind him and give him the extra time they need to resurrect the culture and program.  

13 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Have y'all heard the fans asking for Kiffin to be rehired? Lol. Well guess we will see.

If I were Tennessee I'd absolutely make him tell me no at this point. It was an eternity ago that their issue happened. The man left for his dream job, and from what I remember reading (doesn't make it true and I cannot find source) the powers that be wouldn't let him address the team before he left - not his decision to leave in the middle of the night without saying anything.

He's electric as far as personality goes, he's got the scheme to win in the SEC, and he knows how to recruit. Not to mention he's a younger coach who wouldn't soon forget that UT gave him another shot. Plus, it would not make the fans of West Vance happy.

10 hours ago, aufan57 said:

Reading that Gundy turned down Tennessee. Who is the next man up? Houston Nutt is available.

I'm hearing Brit Belima.  Can anyone confirm?

Joke

53 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I'm not sure too many people are going to want anything to do with that messy of a situation that they have in Knoxville currently. 

4 - 6.5 million per year (assuming they overpay).  Someone will want that mess.

12 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

4 - 6.5 million per year (assuming they overpay).  Someone will want that mess.

me

13 hours ago, around4ever said:

Steele is not the hire that would make the AD, the alumni, or the fans happy.  Another wild protest.  

TN is born to sorrow, as the sparks fly upwards

9 hours ago, AURex said:

I already discussed this in the Steele thread, as I live in Knoxville. Steele played LB at Tenn and got his start in coaching under Johnny Majors at UT. So, if alma mater comes calling and offers a gazillion dollars .....

That said, Auburn admins ***ought*** to reward the coaches top to bottom for this year, regardless of the SECCG outcome. They have done a great job, and that is especially true of Steele and the defensive coaches.

I don't think Steele is eager to leave Auburn. I can think of other scenarios that would be more attractive to him than the UT job. But ya just don't know -- when alma mater comes calling with wads of money in her hands ........

!!!

If coach Steele goes to UT,  I hope T. Robinson is the first call. If T. Will is ready for a promotion, give him due consideration.

I heard Brohm. If I was a coach tho, I wouldn't touch UT. There is no support from the administration and if the fans complain enough, Currie has showed he will just fold. IMO, UT lost any chance to be relevant in the next 4 years when they pulled the Schiano crap.

Archived