Freshman Players

WarEagleHunter1221

One of my favorite parts of this season is seeing all the freshman defensive players getting their chances to play. Earlier in the season it was in trash time but that experience has lead to them being utilized in real game situations. Specifically I think Peters is going to be a Matthews type of leader on defense one day. He is a true freshman but in a lot of videos I see posted he is one of the most pumped up and loudest people there. I know redshirting is important but all this early playing time for these freshman really helps with recruiting. 

16 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

One of my favorite parts of this season is seeing all the freshman defensive players getting their chances to play. Earlier in the season it was in trash time but that experience has lead to them being utilized in real game situations. Specifically I think Peters is going to be a Matthews type of leader on defense one day. He is a true freshman but in a lot of videos I see posted he is one of the most pumped up and loudest people there. I know redshirting is important but all this early playing time for these freshman really helps with recruiting. 

Peters and TD have contributed a lot as freshmen, we will need Peters next year with a few departures from the secondary. 

Barrett has played a good deal as well at RB.  Not a lot of carries but been in a lot of games.  As a true freshman just being on the travel squad and in meeting rooms working on game plans are huge as opposed to being on th scout team.  Same goes for Malik Willis and Iggy.

Tyrone Truesdell has played some meaningful minutes at defensive tackle, not just mop up duty at the end of a game. Has come a long way since fall camp.

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

Barrett has played a good deal as well at RB.  Not a lot of carries but been in a lot of games.  As a true freshman just being on the travel squad and in meeting rooms working on game plans are huge as opposed to being on th scout team.  Same goes for Malik Willis and Iggy.

People really don't consider these things enough when assessing young players. 

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m glad we burnt MW’s redshirt.  He has valuable experience if needed during the playofffs.

Agreeing with you quite a bit this morning.

Our freshmen have grown up quickly, when placed in situations that they might have otherwise just watched from the sideline. Sure, they have made some mistakes, but as we all know, that is how LOTS of folks learn best. Glad to see our coaches trusting in them and utilizing the talent, while giving them valuable game experience.

Sorry for excessive responses to this thread, but it's a great thread and I just got really happy thinking about all the work Prince Tega got this season. We might be set at LT next season because of that. Hugely significant. 

On 11/28/2017 at 8:20 PM, aufan57 said:

Tyrone Truesdell has played some meaningful minutes at defensive tackle, not just mop up duty at the end of a game. Has come a long way since fall camp.

I really thought he would redshirt and be lucky to ever see the field but he has performed above and beyond what I thought.

Truesdale is built along the lines of, I think his name of the big DL from Lincoln, Juantavious Johnson, I think is his name. Does anyone have any updates on his status. I thought he would be a real gap plugger

And don’t forget about Calvin Ashley. After one year in our strength and conditioning program, he should be ready to compete for immediate playing time next year. 

On 11/28/2017 at 7:20 PM, aufan57 said:

For a late, seemingly afterthought recruit, he has been a very pleasant surprise.

Archived