Mississippi State hires Joe Moorhead as HC

TigerHorn

Sounds like a pretty meh hire - possibly a solid coach, but no recruiting connections at all in SEC territory. Wonder if the guy really knows what he's in for? He will do well with a MSU team that returns most of its key players next year, but he'd better make some solid assistant hires to handle 'crootin for the long term. I can't see this as a great hire for this year's class either. 

http://www.wwl.com/articles/ap-news/ap-source-penn-states-moorhead-be-next-miss-state-coach

I think it's about as good a hire as MSU was gonna be able to make.  The Clarion Ledger out of Jackson has a story up.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2017/11/28/mississippi-state-hires-joe-moorhead-its-next-football-coach-reports/902570001/

Looks pretty good MSU

We have commented for years about the difficulty that Mullen faced at that school and I expect other coaches are aware of that . This job provides Moorhead with a good opportunity and probably some reasonable expectations from fans.

16 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Looks like they probably got their guy. He will have alot to work with on their offense next season. 

Well, that hardly seems fair. Alots are better at everything than mere humans. ;)

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

ALOT.png

Really good offensive mind. On par with Scott Frost from a play design standpoint. Moorehead is the king of RPOs. He typically wants one pre-snap read, and one post-snap read minimum per play.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Really good offensive mind. On par with Scott Frost from a play design standpoint. Moorehead is the king of RPOs. He typically wants one pre-snap read, and one post-snap read minimum per play.

He's supposed to be the next Malzahn. The great new thing in offense.

MSU has done a much better job with their hiring process than TN. Sort of a "one-and-done let's keep moving and have no drama" type of coaching hire.

Now that Mullen is gone I can like MSU again. I never have liked FL so that will definitely not change....;D

It will be interesting to see how he does. He's had 1 year in big-time college football, so jumping in as a head coach in the SEC could be a huge shock. As long as he keeps his nose clean, he should at least make Mississippi State fun to watch. The days of a 3-2 defensive struggle are definitely a thing of the past.

By this it appears he is a pretty fair coach. Fordham was 1-10 the year before they hired him as head coach. Fordham went 6-5, 12-2, 11-3, & 9-3 the following 4 years. I know it's Fordham, but he produced a winner with basically the same players that had one the one victory the year before.

9 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Hahaha oh man, this is great. I like it alot!

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m guessing he has zero recruiting connections in the south? 

That's what his assistants will do I expect.  Wonder who Dan will leave behind..?.....not like the new guy can bring his own staff ready to go. Plus I never saw Mullens as a big time recruiter.....better as a talent developer maybe.

Plus timing could not be better with OM in trouble and a new coach too.

Mississippi State: Per a tweet from Pete Thamel, Joe Moorhead’s is getting a four-year deal worth and average of $2.7 million annually. Thamel adds that Moorhead was willing to take less for himself in order to get a larger salary pool for his staff.

12 minutes ago, ausburn said:

Mississippi State: Per a tweet from Pete Thamel, Joe Moorhead’s is getting a four-year deal worth and average of $2.7 million annually. Thamel adds that Moorhead was willing to take less for himself in order to get a larger salary pool for his staff.

That's smart on his part.

This was actually low-key a very impressive hire.  Mississippi State is not a hot job; they landed a very good nationally recognized OC who meshes perfectly with the offensive system they already have in place and they didn't even overpay to get him.

Keep an eye on this one because if we do ultimately need to find a replacement for Malzahn, this guy is going to be a top target if he performs at MSU.

If Gus leaves for porkerville to wallow in the pig sty in Fayetteville, I hope we can make a hire as good as this. IF we go the route of a coordinator, why not make Chip Lindsey our new HC?  I honestly believe that if not for Chip, we would likely be sitting at 8-4 or 7-5 and watching bammer and the mutts play for the SEC title.

I think CCL is going to make a super HC when given the opportunity. I hope it is with us if Gus leaves. If Gus leaves, the next HC should hire CCL and not let him follow Gus to Ark.

11 hours ago, doc4aday said:

If Gus leaves for porkerville to wallow in the pig sty in Fayetteville, I hope we can make a hire as good as this. IF we go the route of a coordinator, why not make Chip Lindsey our new HC?  I honestly believe that if not for Chip, we would likely be sitting at 8-4 or 7-5 and watching bammer and the mutts play for the SEC title.

I think CCL is going to make a super HC when given the opportunity. I hope it is with us if Gus leaves. If Gus leaves, the next HC should hire CCL and not let him follow Gus to Ark.

I don't disagree that CCL will make a great JC some day but I don't know that the AU fan base can take much more on job training.  Gus is just now getting his feet under him after 5 yrs.  Let CCL train somewhere else then come home after Gus retires with multiple rings. 

• 1 month later...

Archived