Update on Arkansas HC search

aubiefifty

Bo Mattingly? @SportsTalkwBo 54m54 minutes ago More Sheridan: If Auburn loses to Georgia, I’ll be very surprised if Gus Malzahn isn’t the next head coach at Arkansas.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Bo Mattingly? @SportsTalkwBo 54m54 minutes ago More Sheridan: If Auburn loses to Georgia, I’ll be very surprised if Gus Malzahn isn’t the next head coach at Arkansas.

I think it would be ridiculous for a single game to be the deciding factor on whether he stays or goes.  

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I think it would be ridiculous for a single game to be the deciding factor on whether he stays or goes.  

As do I. And if it’s true that Gus will leave for Arkansas, he needs to apologize to every recruit that is shutting down their recruitment to play for his staff. 

We're on the verge of being great for a really long time. I sincerely doubt he wants to go through all the trouble of rebuilding a program from the bottom up again. However, I don't blame him for waiting. His contract would sky rocket if we win Saturday. If he ever does leave Auburn, I don't think it'll be to another SEC west school. 

I definitely want Gustav to stay but if he chooses to go to Arky then go, we will just beat up on you every year along with Bama and LSU, etc. It would be a big mistake for him if he leaves. I know it. You know. Gus knows it. 

The man has done well and deserves all the accolades and a sizeable raise but let’s not freak out and act like he’s the next incarnation of Vince Lombardi. Perspective folks. :)

If Gus wants to leave Auburn for Arkansas, then he's not interested in winning championships, so good riddance to the guy.

If he wins out, we show him the money.

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

If Gus wants to leave Auburn for Arkansas, then he's not interested in winning championships, so good riddance to the guy.

If he wins out, we show him the money.

Normally that works but not these days. Time is $$$$ and he has the leverage right now.

Back in 2012, both Ark and Auburn changed coaches.

Ark had plenty of time during the year to court and sign Gus to be their coach since John L. Smith was interim.  They passed on Gus and hired BB on 12/15/12.

Auburn meanwhile gave Gus his first major OC position and first major HC position on 12/4/12.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/08/ranking_the_richest_and_poores.html

This is from the beginning of the year. It shows which schools have the most money in the SEC athletic department wise. Arkansas wouldn’t be able to compete with Auburn when it comes to backing up the Brinks trucks. Besides the recruiting and facilities there are trash compared to Auburn. Highly doubt he goes this is just a Sexton renegotiating Gus’ contract ploy.

42 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I think if he leaves we should be able to entice a top coach from a top program to come have a field day with the talent we have.

What top coach?.....Meyer, Saban, Dabo, Franklin, Kelly...the best coaches are in jobs already...good ones with a lot of talent....If he leaves kick the tires on Steele, keep Chip, and get another DC...hopefully that gives us some consistency...

Found this interesting

http://gridironnow.com/usc-coach-clay-helton-former-auburn-coach-pat-dye-like-second-father-me/

“Between myself and my high school sweetheart, Angela — we later became husband and wife — we had the best time of our lives at Auburn. We made not only some special memories but also some unbelievable friends. … Just very fortunate to be a part of the Auburn family for the time that we were there. It is a place that’s very near and dear to my heart. One of the reasons is because of Coach Dye. I talked about my father, but while I was at college, Coach Dye was like a second father to me, and his staff took care of me and my wife while we were there.”

18 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Arkansas wouldn’t be able to compete with Auburn when it comes to backing up the Brinks trucks. Besides the recruiting and facilities there are trash compared to Auburn. Highly doubt he goes this is just a Sexton renegotiating Gus’ contract ploy.

Agree with everything except facilities.  They have been building like crazy for Arkansas Athletics over the past several years and aren't done. Hopefully Jacobs replacement can rev some of that up at Auburn.

4 minutes ago, ClarkGriswold said:

Found this interesting

http://gridironnow.com/usc-coach-clay-helton-former-auburn-coach-pat-dye-like-second-father-me/

“Between myself and my high school sweetheart, Angela — we later became husband and wife — we had the best time of our lives at Auburn. We made not only some special memories but also some unbelievable friends. … Just very fortunate to be a part of the Auburn family for the time that we were there. It is a place that’s very near and dear to my heart. One of the reasons is because of Coach Dye. I talked about my father, but while I was at college, Coach Dye was like a second father to me, and his staff took care of me and my wife while we were there.”

Wow... I guess I have to stop hating USC so much.

If Arkansas offers Malzahn and he takes it, I'd like to see Auburn d everything they can to hire Gary Patterson or Clay Helton. Gary is 159-56 overall and 9-6 in bowl games. And don't say Gary or Clay would never come to Auburn. How many times did we hear that Jimbo Fisher would consider leaving FSU for any reason. Well it looks like he'll be Texas A&M's new head coach. If a school has deep pockets, they can go after and hire anyone they want if they truly want him.

42 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

What top coach?.....Meyer, Saban, Dabo, Franklin, Kelly...the best coaches are in jobs already...good ones with a lot of talent....If he leaves kick the tires on Steele, keep Chip, and get another DC...hopefully that gives us some consistency...

Well usually the best coaches are in jobs already, that’s nothing new. I want to keep Gus but if he did leave, we would land on our feet. That’s all most are saying. AU was a great job before Gus came and would still be if Gus left. 

Starting in 2013 Gus is:

0-2 vs Clemson

2-3 vs LSU

2-3 vs Georgia (Prayer at Jordan Hare)

2-3 vs Alabama (Kick 6)

1-3 in Bowl games (only win vs Memphis)

Yes I was on the get rid of Gus band wagon after LSU. Yes it seems that after 5 years as a HC and with his job on the line he finally said “awe shucks you guys do what you want  and let’s see what happens, I mean it can’t get any worse for me?”

But really to be held hostage by his agent who now basically is threatening Auburn with a pay up or Gus is going to Arkansas. Really? 

It has taken 5 years for Gus to finally crack the nut on being a HC, he has the depth, the talent, the fan support, $$$ being put into facilities and he is willing to walk away (if he does not get the deal he wants) for a job that quite frankly he will never be successful at. He will never get the talent or depth built. Oh and by the way, when he does not produce the results that the fan base feels their anointed home state savior should bring to them in a timely manner, they will turn on him faster and meaner than they did for big Bert.

Ole Jimmy Sexton is a true American capitalist. JJ is on his way out and he loves him some Gus and he is also a lame duck AD.  President Leath is being put on the spot. 

I feel this is a big game of chicken to see who caves first.  Is it Leath because he thinks Gus will really leave? Or does Leath say we will extend the contract but for this amount and if you don’t like it, have fun running your career into the ground at Arkansas, Auburn will be just fine with out you.

i am of the later opinion. I say counter offer the extension and raise, add more money going to the assistants. If Gus does not like it let him go to Arkansas. That would be career suicide for Gus. In 5 years he would fired. He can’t get the talent to Fayetteville he needs.

If we were to lose this game and Gus left, it wouldn't be because Auburn fans want him gone.  It would be because Gus already made up his mind to leave before the game.  I just don't think he's going anywhere, but I will tell you we came close to being a Tennessee dumpster fire with the torches and pitchforks.  We need to let it be a lesson to us. That's my opinion, anyway.  

39 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Starting in 2013 Gus is:

0-2 vs Clemson

2-3 vs LSU

2-3 vs Georgia (Prayer at Jordan Hare)

2-3 vs Alabama (Kick 6)

1-3 in Bowl games (only win vs Memphis)

Yes I was on the get rid of Gus band wagon after LSU. Yes it seems that after 5 years as a HC and with his job on the line he finally said “awe shucks you guys do what you want  and let’s see what happens, I mean it can’t get any worse for me?”

But really to be held hostage by his agent who now basically is threatening Auburn with a pay up or Gus is going to Arkansas. Really? 

It has taken 5 years for Gus to finally crack the nut on being a HC, he has the depth, the talent, the fan support, $$$ being put into facilities and he is willing to walk away (if he does not get the deal he wants) for a job that quite frankly he will never be successful at. He will never get the talent or depth built. Oh and by the way, when he does not produce the results that the fan base feels their anointed home state savior should bring to them in a timely manner, they will turn on him faster and meaner than they did for big Bert.

Ole Jimmy Sexton is a true American capitalist. JJ is on his way out and he loves him some Gus and he is also a lame duck AD.  President Leath is being put on the spot. 

I feel this is a big game of chicken to see who caves first.  Is it Leath because he thinks Gus will really leave? Or does Leath say we will extend the contract but for this amount and if you don’t like it, have fun running your career into the ground at Arkansas, Auburn will be just fine with out you.

i am of the later opinion. I say counter offer the extension and raise, add more money going to the assistants. If Gus does not like it let him go to Arkansas. That would be career suicide for Gus. In 5 years he would fired. He can’t get the talent to Fayetteville he needs.

I like this post quite a bit?. If every season that our head coach does what we’d like to see about 50% of the time, I.e. beat our main rivals, results in lucrative extensions and raises how long can we keep that up? As I’ve pointed out before, the wins he’s gotten and may continue to get result in $1 million in incentives in addition to an almost $5 million base salary. I love AU football as much as anyone around but this is absolute madness (and, I get it, the landscape of D1 coaching). Wanting more than what he’s already getting money-wise isn’t deserved , it’s pure greed. An extension? Sure. A raise? Have fun in Fayetteville Gustav. JMO.

Wait a second....haven't I been reading for a year or more that JJ and Gus were barely talking...?  and now they are best buds....makes me wonder what to believe.....:dunno:. Guess I'm not buying much of anything in that Alaskan post...sorry...

I'll go on record, fwiw, and say I don't think Gus is stupid enough to actually GO to Arky.  Just use it as leverage.

If he WERE that dumb, then I would imagine he's dumb enough to revert to"2017 LSU Gus" or even worse... "Whirly-bird Gus".  ...and my constitution can't take any more of THAT guy.

No...this is BAD@$$ Gus doing what Bad@$$e$ do.  Playing hardball to get a the best deal he can.  I have no problem with it.

.....unless AU throws buckets of money his way and Chandler Cox is our starting QB for the next game. :-\

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'll go on record, fwiw, and say I don't this Gus is stupid enough to actually GO to Arky.  Just use it as leverage.

If he WERE that dumb, then I would imagine he's dumb enough to revert to"2017 LSU Gus" or even worse... "Whirly-bird Gus".  ...and my constitution can't take any more of THAT guy.

No...this is BAD@$$ Gus doing to Bad@$$e$ do.  Playing hardball to get a the best deal he can.  I have no problem with it.

.....unless AU throws buckets of money his way and Chandler Cox is our starting QB for the next game. :-\

Not saying it is gonna happen but could not imagine a better time for Gus to go to Arky.....would be facing new coaches about everywhere in the conference....Nick and Gus would be the only SEC west coaches with more than a year of Div 1 HC experience....playing mostly rookie coaches....what could be better ? 

Of course that is a good reason not to leave .....other than his job would not likely be on the line for losing to some rival since I don't think Arky has any rivals.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not saying it is gonna happen but could not imagine a better time for Gus to go to Arky.....would be facing new coaches about everywhere in the conference....Nick and Gus would be the only SEC west coaches with more than a year of Div 1 HC experience....playing mostly rookie coaches....what could be better ? 

Of course that is a good reason not to leave .....other than his job would not likely be on the line for losing to some rival since I don't think Arky has any rivals.

Oh, it certainly could happen. I'm rarely surprised by anything anymore...

I'll say this though...  If he does jump ship.  I'd still rather be US than THEM.

War Eagle.

17 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Oh, it certainly could happen. I'm rarely surprised by anything anymore...

I'll say this though...  If he does jump ship.  I'd still rather be US than THEM.

War Eagle.

Oh yes.....I was just looking at it from Gus's perspective......he could write his own ticket to Arky and he is a good enough coach that he would have much more job security there.  

I thought all of this was resolved and Gus wants to stay. I can see us paying $6 million, but nothing more. Arkansas will not match that and if they do, they are dumber than a hogs butt at BBQ with prime hog as the main course. If they do, we can quietly go after a Norvell or other quality coaches. We have so much more to offer than UT and can get a solid coach. Win Saturday and Arkansas goes after who they should in the first place such as a Les Miles or Norvell. Too many great coordinators out there as well.

Archived