Update on Arkansas HC search

aubiefifty

I just don't see AU doing anything until after the Bowl games. Policy should dictate that the HC and staff should be focused on winning games at this time. Gus should do what Gus wants to do. After the Bowl games there is plenty of time to focus on reviewing the season and making adjustments. Doing things under duress or in haste usually results in mistakes, costly mistakes. I think Gus has found a home at AU and with the cealing being 7 or 8 wins AU was not happy. At 10+ wins we are getting our money's worth. Consistent 10+ winning seasons and that puts us in another league.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I thought all of this was resolved and Gus wants to stay. I can see us paying $6 million, but nothing more. Arkansas will not match that and if they do, they are dumber than a hogs butt at BBQ with prime hog as the main course. If they do, we can quietly go after a Norvell or other quality coaches. We have so much more to offer than UT and can get a solid coach. Win Saturday and Arkansas goes after who they should in the first place such as a Les Miles or Norvell. Too many great coordinators out there as well.

We laughed at what bama paid to get Saban...and look what Michigan paid to get Harbaugh.  Somehow schools find a way to pay for a guy they really want...another example being Tex A&M. 

Assume nothing..... but I am hoping that AU does not end up looking for an AD and a HC at the same time.

18 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Agree with everything except facilities.  They have been building like crazy for Arkansas Athletics over the past several years and aren't done. Hopefully Jacobs replacement can rev some of that up at Auburn.

Yeah most people are shocked how good our facilities are when they get to campus.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2016/12/14/why-im-impressed-after-touring-the-athletics-facilities-at-university-of-arkansas/

Not sure how reliable Danny Sheridan is, but he was on Arkansas radio yesterday saying that he's good friends with a famous former Auburn player (didn't say who) that was on the sidelines for the Auburn-Alabama game. He said the former player asked Kristi "So are you going to Arkansas?" after the game and she said "we'll see". That's why Sheridan said he thinks Gus leaves if Georgia wins tomorrow. I was surprised to hear him say that. 

6 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Yeah most people are shocked how good our facilities are when they get to campus.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2016/12/14/why-im-impressed-after-touring-the-athletics-facilities-at-university-of-arkansas/

Not sure how reliable Danny Sheridan is, but he was on Arkansas radio yesterday saying that he's good friends with a famous former Auburn player (didn't say who) that was on the sidelines for the Auburn-Alabama game. He said the former player asked Kristi "So are you going to Arkansas?" after the game and she said "we'll see". That's why Sheridan said he thinks Gus leaves if Georgia wins tomorrow. I was surprised to hear him say that. 

"We'll see" doesn't mean yes. Why would she tell an ex player her business? Malzahn isn't going to another school in the same division 

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

"We'll see" doesn't mean yes. Why would she tell an ex player her business? Malzahn isn't going to another school in the same division 

Great post. Gus isn't going anywhere....except the Bank. 

11 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Sheridan is an idiot who will say/do anything for some airtime. I can't remember the last time I heard something true come out of his mouth or the last time he made an accurate prediction of anything related to Auburn.  Remember, he's the guy who promised to produce the bag man in the Cam case... we're still waiting.

6 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Well played by Kristi.    I'm certain Sexton coaches the coaches' wives on what to and what not to say in public as well.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sheridan is an idiot who will say/do anything for some airtime. I can't remember the last time I heard something true come out of his mouth or the last time he made an accurate prediction of anything related to Auburn.  Remember, he's the guy who promised to produce the bag man in the Cam case... we're still waiting.

^^^^^^. This x 1000!!!

27 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

This story has to be false. Sheridan couldn't possibly have a friend much less an Auburn friend. :dunno:

26 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Great post. Gus isn't going anywhere....except the Bank. 

The Perfect HC for the pigs...R. Lashlee. ?

I don't feel like Auburn is being held hostage by Jimmy Sexton or is threatening Auburn with a pay up or Gus is going to Arkansas. Since Gus Malzahn wants to go back to Arkansas, then he should go and take Jay Jacobs with him.

I for one am tired Gus having one big year in 2013 and doesn't have another big year until 4 years later in 2017. In between 2013 and 2017, Gus has gone 8-5, 7-6 and 8-5 and he's 1-3 in bowl games. This is what we have to look forward to if JJ adds more years and money to Malzahn's contract.

17 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I don't feel like Auburn is being held hostage by Jimmy Sexton or is threatening Auburn with a pay up or Gus is going to Arkansas. Since Gus Malzahn wants to go back to Arkansas, then he should go and take Jay Jacobs with him.

At least you're consistent... 

22 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

If they give CGM a larger paycheck then will that diminish the pool of what they can pay the other coaches?  If I am not mistaking several of our coaches contracts are up for renewal over the next 2 months.  Again, if I am not mistaking it is most of the defensive coaches and then also Kodi.  All of these guys deserve to see the green.  I don't want to short change ourself by giving CGM so much money we can't afford to keep the others.  I know that the pool is extreme, especially compared to what the most of us common folks would ever see in our lifetime.  But I have to believe there is a limited pool and it is not just a bottomless well.  Please correct me if I am wrong. 

Salary is no issue - we have gobs of $$ pouring in from the SEC Network and as long as Auburn WINS, there will be $$ to fund sustained success.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Told her it was her only mistake in her life but a very big mistake......poor thing I feel for her

Me too

4 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

Sheridan says what his audience wants to hear.  Don't believe him. 

You don't tell Takeo we'll see, nor Bo because he knows everything but I digress, this isn't how the world works.  People making stuff up.  He leaves he leaves.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Well, she married me. So...

Oh , you too?.. :-X

My memory is not what it used to be, but if I remember correctly, CGM has had one 1-year extension and no substantive salary increase since 2013. Maybe that was justified in the minds of JJ, but that is the ONLY reason I think CGM would even listen to a pig offer. But I really can't imagine him going there. He would have zero chance of competitiveness there. And the same for Tennessee.

Personally, I'd be much more concerned about FSU coming after him -- and him being very open to that move, taking some of his coaching staff with him. I've got no sources saying that is in the works, just a little irritating nervousness.

Archived