Chip Lindsey the "X" factor?

doc4aday

I would like to present this scenario to see if others out there are thinking along the same lines that I am.  I think this season's offensive records and huge success has a lot to do with Coach Chip Lindsey as our OC.  I think Gus has let CCL call more and more of the games as the season has progressed. I think Gus took over during the LSU game and it cost us that game. I think Coach Lindsey had to take a back seat that day in BR.

After that game, I think Gus came to the realization that he had an OC that is smart and creative enough to call the offensive game and let Gus be the HC with lesser and lesser interference with CCL play calling. Without CCL, we very well could be sitting at 8-4 or worse.  I could be wrong and will say so if this is not the case. If Gus leaves for Ark, why not turn the reigns over to CCL as HC?  Do not get me wrong in that I know Gus has been a part of the turn around and I give him a lot of credit for this. However,  we must consider where we could be at this point without CCL doing what he is doing. I think CCL is a brilliant OC and will make a super HC in the near future. Just my thoughts and want to here others opinions with regard to this.

14 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I would like to present this scenario to see if others out there are thinking along the same lines that I am.  I think this season's offensive records and huge success has a lot to do with Coach Chip Lindsey as our OC.  I think Gus has let CCL call more and more of the games as the season has progressed. I think Gus took over during the LSU game and it cost us that game. I think Coach Lindsey had to take a back seat that day in BR.

After that game, I think Gus came to the realization that he had an OC that is smart and creative enough to call the offensive game and let Gus be the HC with lesser and lesser interference with CCL play calling. Without CCL, we very well could be sitting at 8-4 or worse.  I could be wrong and will say so if this is not the case. If Gus leaves for Ark, why not turn the reigns over to CCL as HC?  Do not get me wrong in that I know Gus has been a part of the turn around and I give him a lot of credit for this. However,  we must consider where we could be at this point without CCL doing what he is doing. I think CCL is a brilliant OC and will make a super HC in the near future. Just my thoughts and want to here others opinions with regard to this.

If Gus didn't let Chip do his job, he was getting fired.  Basically the turn around of the program is Gus following directions on how to be a better coach.  He did not figure it out on his own.

I agree that CCL has had a large effect on how this season played out after the debacle that happened in Baton Rouge, but the fact that Gus let go of the reins and let the coaches do their job shows that he is maturing at the right time. If Gus heads for Arkansas after the season, then we can cross that bridge when we get there. For now, let's concentrate on the next game. Whip them dogs............. WAR EAGLE !!

Agreed on the Chip impact.  My uninformed $.02: IMO, two key things have happened to turn this season around. 

1) Gus is letting Chip do what they were hired for.  I believe we have seen two of the best coached games of the season in each of the last 2 weeks. When is the last time Gus called a jump pass?  If Chip leaves, I sincerely believe that AU will have nowhere NEAR the success they have had. We’ve had 3 years of mediocre playcalling and the first half of the year was a continuation of that.  What suddenly changed? Gus is letting Chip make the calls. Gus is a good play designer but my theory is he is just a mediocre in-game playcaller.  

2. Stidham has developed into the QB we thought he was. He now looks more comfortable each week and is keeping his head on and not running directly into trouble like he was earlier in the year.

Both these things combined have not only saved his job but will result in a huge raise/extension. 

IMO, Gus is growing as a coach, and he has learned on the job (to AU’s detriment at times). But I don’t totally give him the props for the changes. I give him props for allowing the change to happen (he had little choice after LSU as he was about to get run out of town), and is now trusting his qb and his OC to make the right decisions.

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

I’m all for giving credit where credit is due but in reality we have won nothing yet.  Let’s see how this week goes and then we can start looking forward

I totally agree.

Job security is all that is lacking with Gus and staff now. Gus is at a crossroads and may chose to leave or stay. He is possibly in a position to have what any coach wants, the best of everything or starting over at a program that has limited upside. Its a risk for both AU and Gus. However, it is Gus's decision and I think he stays and ultimately gets a new contract after the season. If he does leave though, we will survive and continue striving for continuity and to be a top tier program (competing for SEC Championships annually.) AU may or may not agree now on a new framework but is not in a good position to iron out any details yet. I believe it must first hire a new AD who will start after December. Gus in the mean time is in a position to prove why a new contract is needed or can bolt for another program.

This coaching staff seems to have reached a very good point where they are working well together (at least on the surface). Having a good coach in football is important but having a good staff is critical in the SEC to having success. The level of play in the SEC is so good that you need more than a good coach and good players, everyone has those, but you must have a staff that is good and knows what they are doing in order to have continued success. A coach must also be able to discern a potential staff member before he hires them in order to keep continuity in their level of play (ie. Saban et. al) 

7 minutes ago, ben4981 said:

I just hope this staff stays together

Cubelic says he believes Gus leaves if AU loses today.  I’ve never given much credence to the Gus to Arky thing, but Cubelic knows a lot of folks, so who knows. 

Archived