What Happened at UT Was a Well-Planned Coup

Gowebb11

UT is about to come hard after  Kevin Steele now. Fulmer got his HC job at UT in the early 90s under very murky circumstances while Johnny Majors was lying in a hospital bed. Now he’s struck again to get the AD job. Watching this unfold the past few day has been sad and fascinating. UT has a good ole boy network that rivals ours from Jetgate. They threw Currie to the wolves, sabotaged every attempt he made to hire a good coach, then fired him. The delusional UT faithful believe the narrative that “only Phil can save us”, when he is in fact the leader of the whole debacle. Now he apparently is working a deal to hire Steele as a HC, with Tee Martin agreeing to be the HCIW and OC. UT is obsessed with their notion that anyone who has ever coached or played at UT is therefore a Vol for Life and only such insiders are worthy of running the program. Since KS played here 2 years and coached here a couple of years 30 years ago, he qualifies  

The Vol is a complete rebuild job and a mess of epic proportions. I believe KS is smart enough to know that and stay away, but you never know. Either way, I thought I’d seen it all from AU athletics but this mess at UT far surpasses our worst days. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

UT is about to come hard after  Kevin Steele now. Fulmer got his HC job at UT in the early 90s under very murky circumstances while Johnny Majors was lying in a hospital bed. Now he’s struck again to get the AD job. Watching this unfold the past few day has been sad and fascinating. UT has a good ole boy network that rivals ours from Jetgate. They threw Currie to the wolves, sabotaged every attempt he made to hire a good coach, then fired him. The delusional UT faithful believe the narrative that “only Phil can save us”, when he is in fact the leader of the whole debacle. Now he apparently is working a deal to hire Steele as a HC, with Tee Martin agreeing to be the HCIW and OC. UT is obsessed with their notion that anyone who has ever coached or played at UT is therefore a Vol for Life and only such insiders are worthy of running the program. Since KS played here 2 years and coached here a couple of years 30 years ago, he qualifies  

The Vol is a complete rebuild job and a mess of epic proportions. I believe KS is smart enough to know that and stay away, but you never know. Either way, I thought I’d seen it all from AU athletics but this mess at UT far surpasses our worst days. 

Currie did get screwed over, but he was in his first year there and probably didn’t  know that there are appropriate times to clench the fists and to throw around the weight of his title. ADs cannot let boosters walk over them. 

Phat Phil got what he wanted though. It’s pretty bad when you have to sabotage the program that you pledge loyalty to.

A Tennessee fan i talk with at work was convinced that Currie was the problem and they could now go back to the table to all the coaches that turned them down. I'm not really sure if Tennessee should go the coordinator route for a coach, it is a huge gamble - but I guess it has paid off for Georgia.  That being said, I would hate to lose Steele, but he would probably do better than some of the head coaches they were looking at and definately better than Tee Martin. 

By the way, watched USC (Trojans) play for the first time in years last night, and if Gus were to leave to Ark it would not be a bad idea to go after Clay Helton. Players seem to like him and he has helped right the USC ship. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agree with all of this. Whoever goes there will be well paid but out of their damn minds to willingly enter that mess.

I looked over CKS's record as a HC last nite. Only someone truly stupid would sign him as a HC. 

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
Baylor Bears (Big 12 Conference) (1999–2002)
1999 Baylor 1–10 0–8 6th (South)  
2000 Baylor 2–9 0–8 6th (South)  
2001 Baylor 3–8 0–8 6th (South)  
2002 Baylor 3–9 1–7 6th (South)  
Baylor: 9–36 1–31  
Total: 9–36

39 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I looked over CKS's record as a HC last nite. Only someone truly stupid would sign him as a HC. 

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
Baylor Bears (Big 12 Conference) (1999–2002)
1999 Baylor 1–10 0–8 6th (South)  
2000 Baylor 2–9 0–8 6th (South)  
2001 Baylor 3–8 0–8 6th (South)  
2002 Baylor 3–9 1–7 6th (South)  
Baylor: 9–36 1–31  
Total: 9–36

Why ya gotta disrespect him like that? Lots of people thought he would flop here and the opposite occurred. That is from 15-18 years ago and he has learned a lot in that time under some very successful head coaches. 

Judt don't understand the need for such harsh words for a guy who has been a miraculous DC here, based off of ancient data. I don't think KS will leave. 

I love CKS. It has been the best thing for me as an AU fan watching him resurrect our D. I was actually thinking of him as a backup should CGM leave. BUT...no one is going to trust a Big Five School to that  train wreck.

Kevin Steele is not the logical choice. We should kiss that rumor good bye. It didn't make sense on both sides. Let's put that to bed.

Their fans want Tee Martin. They'll probably get him. He's probably the only guy who will actually want to go there at this point. 

In Knoxville it started with a train wreck which ignited a HUGE dumpster fire which may not be under control, let alone be completely put out for several years. The Vols nation may find out why Fulmer was eventually shoved out the door.

TN has been a train wreck for about 10 years. It will take a monumental effort and probably 6-7 years at least under a very competent and dedicated coach to really stabilize the program. I'm not sure the Vols understand that. They have done nothing in the last 2 weeks that indicate a comprehension of how far their program has fallen and how much harm has been done. Recruiting is going to be very difficult and they have wasted so much valuable time already with all this unnecessary drama and they still have no coach. Ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Kevin Steele is not the logical choice. We should kiss that rumor good bye. It didn't make sense on both sides. Let's put that to bed.

Their fans want Tee Martin. They'll probably get him. He's probably the only guy who will actually want to go there at this point. 

At this point it's better to give the mob the guy they want no matter what other options are available.      

KS would be foolish to take that job under current conditions 'cause I see Phil as HC emeritus ......which means he will feel free to dabble in the figurehead head coaches business when ever he wants.    Tee Martin has no HC experience and fans seem to want him......JMO but nobody better suited for the job than he is. 

This is a great story... But it's wrong.

Currie took a plane that didn't belong to UT and went to interview a coach (Leach) when he didn't have permission. To top that off, he didn't have permission to offer the job to Brohm but he did anyway. It's a crap show, but Currie didn't help himself out.

Screenshot_20171202-164027.png

I was so in hopes of UT getting back to were they could give the turds a good game and maybe beat them once in a while, but I hate that fat bastard Fulmer for what he did to us in 2004 and can not and will not pull for them as long as he is the AD. Hope the dumpster fire continues and they roast fat Phil over it.

On 12/2/2017 at 3:37 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Currie took a plane that didn't belong to UT and went to interview a coach (Leach) when he didn't have permission. To top that off, he didn't have permission to offer the job to Brohm but he did anyway. It's a crap show, but Currie didn't help himself out.

Different perspective.  Currie was employed by the university. The fact that he had to sneak around to try to do his job without interference from someone not employed by the university underlines the fact that Fulmer was going out of his want to make sure Currie failed.

39 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Different perspective.  Currie was employed by the university. The fact that he had to sneak around to try to do his job without interference from someone not employed by the university underlines the fact that Fulmer was going out of his want to make sure Currie failed.

Tennessee's version of Auburn's "Jetgate" ....except that UT actually needed a new HC and Auburn already had one under contract.

Otherwise....palace coup seems like a reasonable description to me.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Fulmer wields way too much power and so does Manning.  There's a serious power struggle behind the scenes up there that tickles me every time I see PF's name thrown out there.

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

Fulmer wields way too much power and so does Manning.  There's a serious power struggle behind the scenes up there that tickles me every time I see PF's name thrown out there.

And that is EXACTLY why I worry about the PTB who are constantly sniffing around Auburn's AD. I don't want something like this to every happen at Auburn.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Tennessee end up with NCAA or worse issues because of the booster influence that Fulmer will bring with him.

Archived