Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we make him a generous offer. I don’t think we get in a bidding war. This game has no bearing on that though. We are in a tough spot tonight, pretty much exact opposite of the previous UGA game. 

Heck no.  We were unprepared for this game.  Gus is more focused on the "pay me big or I'm gone to Arkansas" game via Sexton. This is classic Gus...after his "we beat the dawg crap out of them" comment.  

He is up and down because he is inconsistent...Tommy Tuberville 2.0.  I'll be glad to help him pack.  I'm so sick of running up the middle on every other first down or more, and half our passes being screen passes.

My thinking is that Gus wanted to get that extension in place before this game. If we approved it already, we're screwed.

I swear I've never seen a bunch of emotional whiny fans in my life. I have been off the Gus bus for two years but if he wants to leave then he didn't know what he had. Arkansas is not a better football program, anyone with a pulse knows that. It's v been a crazy year but Auburn football will still be better than Arkansas. Let's go have a beer

Wow, so disappointing. Basically a flipped script from 3 weeks ago. We're banged up and it cost us. Georgia is a very good team, and GM's dog crap comment unfortunately provided motivation for the Uggs. Great run, however. I sure hope Gus stays, bc I think this sho ain't the year to be trying to fill a vacancy. Oh well, War Eale anyway. 

The thing is that If Gus does walk away then who do we get that could be considered a great hire? This is a very tough year to try hiring a football coach, most of the major "hot" names have already been hired, and about the only options left are coaches who have already failed at other major football programs (Miles, Sumlin, Kiffin). Or we'd just have to go with the unproven coordinator route which is a big gamble. 

We need to offer a reasonable raise and extension but not go crazy. He’s not worth Jimbo, Saban, Urban money but he does deserve a raise. 

1 minute ago, War to the Eagle said:

You guys suck...fairweather fans. Love the loyalty.

I am an Auburn Alum, so you can't call me a fair-weather fan.  Look at what he has done.  Beaten AL and GA 2x in 5 seasons.  Not good enough frankly.  He is a system coach.  If his system does not work during a game we do not win.  I love Auburn, and am not really upset about losing this game.  I am just tired of seeing the same behavior again and again.

2 hours ago, wde1968 said:

No. Gus knew KJ not able go. Didn't adjust.

This is my point. All week they stated that they had a plan if KJ couldn't go. 1. Gus needed to make and executive decision to see and understand KJ wasn't being effective and go with another player. He didn't. He trotted KJ back out there similar to Sean White. What happens...fumbles. The few carries Kam got he did well. 

2. We had the same game plan from the first game on offense. UGA killed the WR screens and we never adjusted beyond trying ot go deep which JS wasn't as accurate. 3. Once again when our main game plan doesn't work....we don't adjust.  

UGA was the better team today and i can take losing...IF i see a team that is prepared and just straight up losses. Yes it hurt us b/c KJ was hurt but we heard all this talk this week that the other guys could get the job done yet they really were not given the chance to do so. Exactly why i was adamant about Gus not getting a raise b/c he still has something to prove. 

16 minutes ago, Moriarty88 said:

I do not see why we would give him an extension or raise.  If he wants to go to Arkansas, let him.  Then we should hire Lane Kiffen.

Really? After the $#** fest in baton rouge, who saw this team beating 2 #1s in 3 weeks? Most at the beginning of the year would've said 10 wins and a CC appearance would be great, but now it's not enough? Talk about fair-weathered.

3 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Wow, so disappointing. Basically a flipped script from 3 weeks ago. We're banged up and it cost us. Georgia is a very good team, and GM's dog crap comment unfortunately provided motivation for the Uggs. Great run, however. I sure hope Gus stays, bc I think this sho ain't the year to be trying to fill a vacancy. Oh well, War Eale anyway. 

I really don't buy that Gus's comment had much if any effect on UGA's motivation. So people think UGA wouldn't have been as prepared, hyped up, and motivated for a championship game against a team that embarrassed them a few weeks ago, if Gus hadn't made that comment? 

It's a funny story for the media heads to talk about, but I don't think it made a bit of difference in how the game was played. 

23 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Thoughts on contract extension??? I mean hell I know KJ isn't 100%, but I thought we could compete better than this. 

NO WAY!

Archived