Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

2 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Really? After the $#** fest in baton rouge, who saw this team beating 2 #1s in 3 weeks? Most at the beginning of the year would've said 10 wins and a CC appearance would be great, but now it's not enough? Talk about fair-weathered.

Not fair-weathered, but realistic.  Has he earned his paycheck, absolutely, but to get into a bidding war with Arkansas is not worth it in my opinion.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I really don't buy that Gus's comment had much if any effect on UGA's motivation. So people think UGA wouldn't have been as prepared, hyped up, and motivated for a championship game against a team that embarrassed them a few weeks ago, if Gus hadn't made that comment? 

It's a funny story for the media heads to talk about, but I don't think it made a bit of difference in how the game was played. 

I don't think that his comment was the only or even the biggest motivating factor, but I believe it did give direct ammo for the coaches to guide the players' focus. 

Just a thought here, but maybe Coach Steele’s head has been elsewhere this week. Does he bolt???  Maybe same for Coach Lindsey. Not so much on Gus if so. Just a thought. 

14 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

You guys suck...fairweather fans. Love the loyalty.

Couldn’t have said it better. Wake up. Don’t make us look like TN. Rough game tonight, but thank you to the players. They played hard, and I am proud that they are Auburn Tigers.

I love how all of these fans who want him fired I have never seen post on this forum, ever.  But once we lose they flood the forum.  

31 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Thoughts on contract extension??? I mean hell I know KJ isn't 100%, but I thought we could compete better than this

So did we all ... :(

I have been on the fire CGM all season.. .. He proved me so wrong by turning it around after LSU and beating UGA and Bama. I am not going to call for him to be fired again.. but I also do not think he has shown enough to get in a bidding war with anyone. If he wants to stay at Auburn great.. if not.. fine.. But he hasn't shown enough to be rewarded with a big contract.. if he came out and won tonight.. well that's different. I just tip my hat to UGA and say they were the better team tonight.. too many mistakes for us to overcome. 

If he wanted to stay, he would've signed a contract extension already. Whatever, if ever, request his agents made were too big for Auburn to sign off on and he knew it. 

Secondly, he wouldve said he wasn't going any where if he truly wanted to be at Auburn. 

We could all be wrong and he signs an extension tonight. But it should be on Auburns terms not his at this point with up and down seasons.

Most people on here have no realistic view of our program. We won the west beat both our rivals and won 10 games and people on here yelling for Gus to be fired. Y’all need to get out and wake up in the real world. If he’s gone who’s a better coach out there? I’ll take calls now. 

5 minutes ago, Deutschetiger said:

I say we pay for the moving van. Goodbye Gus 

This is incredibly stupid.  We just went 10-3 with two wins over our biggest rivals.  Can finish with 11 wins.  Yeah, today sucks.  But the dude has earned my respect this year.

I will say the same thing I’ve been saying since this Arky thing came up....

He has us right where he wants us. It’s a crappy year to hire a new coach and we need stability.  

Offer him something (just enough to get him to stay - not too much $ and not too long of an extension) and see what he does.  If he leaves for Arkmart, that’s on him. We’ll be fine. Because we’re Auburn. BUT we will be in a position to overpay for a less than stellar coach OR break the bank for a pretty good coach.  

7 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Most people on here have no realistic view of our program. We won the west beat both our rivals and won 10 games and people on here yelling for Gus to be fired. Y’all need to get out and wake up in the real world. If he’s gone who’s a better coach out there? I’ll take calls now. 

Spot on.  Look at their post history.  If you add them all together they still would not top 100 posts.  That should tell you everything right there.  

5 minutes ago, far_away_fan said:

If he wanted to stay, he would've signed a contract extension already. Whatever, if ever, request his agents made were too big for Auburn to sign off on and he knew it. 

Secondly, he wouldve said he wasn't going any where if he truly wanted to be at Auburn. 

We could all be wrong and he signs an extension tonight. But it should be on Auburns terms not his at this point with up and down seasons.

We’ve been through all of this with Sexton before (too many times!)

Gus was encouraged to NOT say anything conclusive and drag it out as much as possible and try to make AU squirm enough to hand over way too much money than they should. This strategy always worked against JJ.  Not sure this time.  We’ll see. 

40 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Thoughts on contract extension??? I mean hell I know KJ isn't 100%, but I thought we could compete better than this. 

Auburn did compete. Auburn whipped their a$$ three weeks ago. And bamr's also. To do it a third time against a top 5 team was asking too much. Especially a wounded Auburn.. 

3 minutes ago, Deutschetiger said:

Brad you are in denial if you don't think Malzahn is already on the jet to hoggville

If he is then fine, its his choice.  But to say "we'll pay for it" is asinine at this moment and is a comment made only on emotion.  We lost a championship game.  By definition, its supposed to be hard.  But we still won 10 games this year and were in position to make the playoff.  Thats all any of us can really ask for.

I honestly think we got outplayed and not outcoached.  The only knock I do have is lack of adjustments.  Still, horrible passing and catching killed us. Put injuries above coaching as well. We had some key guys not 100% and some taken out.  I for one am kinda happy with our season. 

20 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

We need to offer a reasonable raise and extension but not go crazy. He’s not worth Jimbo, Saban, Urban money but he does deserve a raise. 

He will already get a nice as bonus for getting the team to ATL.  That’s built into his existing contract.  Why does Auburn owe him any more?  Why does he deserve anymore?  He fielded a strong, competitive team ......... that’s what he gets paid to freaking do.

I don’t like Gus. Been an outspoken critic for a long time. However, tonight wasn’t his fault. We just got beat. We’re injured (part of football) and UGA was super motivated. They have tons of talent....

My trouble is the lack of adjustments that occur when we do lose.  If my memory is correct, our last five losses (dating back to last year of course) we have scored 9 points in the second half of all those games combined. 6 of those were on the last play of the OU loss. I’m very tepid on Gus and am unsure if I want him to stay or leave. WDE!

Archived