Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CAReeves2010 said:

Why? Would Kiffin throw on some pads and catch those under thrown balls or drive through the ball carrier instead of arm tackling? Jeez, are we UTw now?

Kendell Briles would come as OC. Jarrett would thrive.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Cool.  That doesnt win us the SEC.  Tonight was more on injuries than anything. We lost two of our best defenders at the half.  Think that doesn't make a difference?

It does make a difference.  But no excuses.  Bama was injury laden last week, but were you talking about that after we beat them? Doubt it. 

Just now, FoundationEagle said:

Does he deserve to be fired?  Of course not. Does he deserve 7 mil a year. Not even remotely. Just depends on how much Arky is willing to pay. I'd say match 5.5 mil and anything over buh bye

We are going to have to pay him more than 5.5 to keep him IMO.

wde

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

They won a championship and are playing for the big prize.  Checkmate uga.

wde

^ This

Amazing so many want Kiffen. He has failed at head coaching at numerous stops. Had a good year in whatever podunk conference he coaches in, but he needs to grow up. I don’t see any of these other open jobs coming after him very hard, should tell you something that they don’t want him to be the face of their programs.

38 minutes ago, Moriarty88 said:

Not fair-weathered, but realistic.  Has he earned his paycheck, absolutely, but to get into a bidding war with Arkansas is not worth it in my opinion.

You are my enemy. Im Sherlock 

Does he deserve to be fired?  Of course not. Does he deserve 7 mil a year. Not even remotely. Just depends on how much Arky is willing to pay. I'd say match 5.5 mil and anything over buh bye

I agree, but who do we bring in if he walks? Kiffin? Think negative recruiting is bad now, let Joey Freshwater walk into moms living room....Frost is gone. Taggert will either stay in Oregon or be at FSU. Fisher is gone. Kelly is gone. Just not many good options out there. 

2 minutes ago, TeBoneAU said:

No he has a contract thru 2020. He needed to beat his rivals this year after losing to them the past 3 years. IMO he doesn't deserve a raise or extension for doing his job....did he give money back or shorten his contract for losing 3 years in a row to those same rivals?

Exactly how I feel.  Gus did his job, he will be compensated for getting his team to Atlanta and winning the division.  HE DID WHAT HE GET PAID TO DO.  

Now Sexton has been trying to bend Auburn over a barrel for weeks now when he started this Arkansas shart talk.  It has evolved into Arky throwing big bucks at CGM.  I hope AU doesn’t have to over pay to keep a coach that does his job every 3 yrs.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Exactly how I feel.  Gus did his job, he will be compensated for getting his team to Atlanta and winning the division.  HE DID WHAT HE GET PAID TO DO.  

Now Sexton has been trying to bend Auburn over a barrel for weeks now when he started this Arkansas shart talk.  It has evolved into Arky throwing big bucks at CGM.  I hope AU doesn’t have to over pay to keep a coach that does his job every 3 yrs.

This x a gazillion-ty zillion

11 minutes ago, 1856 said:

It does make a difference.  But no excuses.  Bama was injury laden last week, but were you talking about that after we beat them? Doubt it. 

I absolutely know we took advantage of their hurt LB corp.  Hell, if Wisconsin loses, I think Bama should be the 4 seed. A healthy Bama is easily one of the best teams in the nation.

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

I endorse this post. 

3 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

Kendell Briles would come as OC. Jarrett would thrive.

Jarrett did a good job tonight until he started feeling pressed and started under and over throwing guys. That's on him not his OC. 

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

no need to extend there never was, look at his contract for christ's sake.......sorry if mentioned have not read thread

I agree, but Auburn will not be able to sit as is with Gus.  Gus apparently told AU what he wanted and submitted his package before this game today.  Now The cards are in Arkys hands, Auburn is in no position to check, they must raise or fold.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I absolutely know we took advantage of their hurt LB corp.  Hell, if Wisconsin loses, I think Bama should be the 4 seed. A healthy Bama is easily one of the best teams in the nation.

No way, us losing Hurts them. Gary is too blinded to see it. Big 10 ? is in.

1 minute ago, doug3020 said:

I agree, but who do we bring in if he walks? Kiffin? Think negative recruiting is bad now, let Joey Freshwater walk into moms living room....Frost is gone. Taggert will either stay in Oregon or be at FSU. Fisher is gone. Kelly is gone. Just not many good options out there. 

Don't have that answer honestly. But I believe getting into a bidding war for a guy that is 4-7 against his rivals with several blowout losses and 2 of the wins on miracle plays is detrimental mental to the long term health of the program. If he gets 6-7 mil a year in a new contract and tanks like he has the previous 3 years then the damage will be much greater than just a few mil. He's just not worth that risk IMO.  AU is much bigger than Gus MALzahn. 

10 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

They won a championship and are playing for the big prize.  Checkmate uga.

wde

That’s a totally different argument. 

They went 12-1, SEC Champs, playoffs, etc.  No contest as far as the whole season goes. 

I was referencing uga and AU excuses for the 2 head-to-head games.  

Don't have that answer honestly. But I believe getting into a bidding war for a guy that is 4-7 against his rivals with several blowout losses and 2 of the wins on miracle plays is detrimental mental to the long term health of the program. If he gets 6-7 mil a year in a new contract and tanks like he has the previous 3 years then the damage will be much greater than just a few mil. He's just not worth that risk IMO.  AU is much bigger than Gus MALzahn. 

Not agreeing or disagreeing, just spitballing here. Say Gus bolts..who do you want?

Just now, Randman5000 said:

No way, us losing Hurts them. Gary is too blinded to see it. Big 10 ? is in.

Absolutely.  If OSU wins, convincingly or not, they're in. IMO. I think they REALLY want conference champions even in a remote comparison. 

Naw, let's trade him for Kevin Sumlin, Butch Jones, Bret Beliemna, Jim McElwain,  or better yet,  Huge Freeze.

Good gosh we have some fans that have lived around Bammers too long!

6 minutes ago, 1856 said:

This x a gazillion-ty zillion

so you are saying this arky job is fake news so in hopes auburn will respond with a nice lucrative contract extension with a big pay raise increase in efforts he will not stay at auburn...hmmmm

Archived