Do we still protect Gus from Arkansas?

NolaAuTiger

1 minute ago, aubieclawz said:

so you are saying this arky job is fake news so in hopes auburn will respond with a nice lucrative contract extension with a big pay raise increase in efforts he will not stay at auburn...hmmmm

Don't think it's fake news, but the rest is spot on. Betting by winning the Iron Bowl made him make an attempt at a power play. Don't think he deserves over 5.5 mil personally.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Don't have that answer honestly. But I believe getting into a bidding war for a guy that is 4-7 against his rivals with several blowout losses and 2 of the wins on miracle plays is detrimental mental to the long term health of the program. If he gets 6-7 mil a year in a new contract and tanks like he has the previous 3 years then the damage will be much greater than just a few mil. He's just not worth that risk IMO.  AU is much bigger than Gus MALzahn. 

I agree with you. I don't think a bidding war is justified for him. I just don't know who you bring in. Sometimes the devil you know......

8 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

No way, us losing Hurts them. Gary is too blinded to see it. Big 10 ? is in.

Disagree.  OSU losing to Iowa by 31 looks really bad.

22 minutes ago, Deutschetiger said:

No chance Star Wars boy. 

You need to change your name to Douchetiger. Would be much more fitting.

If getting in a bidding over Gus with Arky made sense, then why isn't Gus even in the conversation for all these other HC jobs that are open? He is not exactly a hot commodity as coaches go. 2013 and the talk of the HUNH and Gus being an offensive guru is a distant memory. We have only won a couple of big games against ranked teams since 2013. That's four seasons and two big wins. I am ambivalent as to whether he stays or goes but I certainly don't think he is worth fighting over.

I fully understand why Gus would want to go somewhere else. The fanbases at SEC schools that expect to compete for national championships are challenging, to say the least. They fired coaches with strong records at UGA and aTm. The fans at UTK have scuttled a done deal HC hire and caused the AD to be fired. There is little doubt the boosters and the fans were part of the reason Jay Jacobs is is a zombie.

I also believe Gus could be more successful at Arkansas than Bert. If Gus went to Arkansas he would likely recruit heavily in Oklahoma and northern Texas, in OU's, OSU's, Baylor's, and TCU's back yard. He has experience in the geography from Tulsa, and was friends with Art Briles. The fall of Baylor probably contributed to the success of OSU and TCU.

Certainly coaches are competitive, and most want to compete at the highest levels. But many hit a wall. Some hit the wall and flee to the NFL (Saban did that). Some hit the wall and just quit (Urban Meyer did that). Some try something else. Gus is young enough he could be thinking he could take a job at Arkansas, overperform expectations for a few years, and be hired at another school. I really think Gus is a Big 12 coach at heart.

I do think the aTm hire of Jimbo Fisher puts a damper on Arkansas. While Bama and Saban are Auburn's rival, and Arkansas can tolerate perennially loosing to Saban, Gus would have to go .500 against aTm. But at the same time, he will need to go better than .500 against aTm if he remains at AU.

It is reasonable for coaches who are being courted by other schools to ask for more from their current schools. Four coaches so far have played Tennessee in order to bump up their contracts. We should expect Gus to do the same. I know he gave a proposal to AU prior to the game, I do not know what AU said.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Iono about that. The playoff commissioner said last week that there is very little separation between the teams ranked 5-9.

2 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

I agree with you. I don't think a bidding war is justified for him. I just don't know who you bring in. Sometimes the devil you know......

Call his bluff! Actually a pretty good position I think. Btw- are we supposed to sit up and watch tonight? The rumor about Arky's walmart piper-cub swooping in at midnight some crap like that?

Just now, DAG said:

Iono about that. The playoff commissioner said last week that there is very little separation between the teams ranked 5-9.

Maybe.  But remember, conference title didn't matter last year, even with PSU winning the head to head.  Similar situation here.  1 loss non champ vs 2 loss champ, but one really bad loss on that 2 loss resume.  Just think Bama is positioned very well to make it as the #4.  Plus, committee gets Bama v Clemson round 3.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Maybe.  But remember, conference title didn't matter last year, even with PSU winning the head to head.  Similar situation here.  1 loss non champ vs 2 loss champ, but one really bad loss on that 2 loss resume.  Just think Bama is positioned very well to make it as the #4.  Plus, committee gets Bama v Clemson round 3.

Yep. they screwed themselves with that precedent

16 minutes ago, aubieclawz said:

so you are saying this arky job is fake news so in hopes auburn will respond with a nice lucrative contract extension with a big pay raise increase in efforts he will not stay at auburn...hmmmm

This Arky job is the real deal.  Jimmy Sexton planted the seed 4 weeks ago when Bert was tanking and Gus was on the fans hot seat.  Sexton pushes that shart every week as Gus had AU looking like world beaters.  Then immediately after the IB win, Gus presents a “package” to Auburn.  Basically naming his salary and extended contract terms.  

Now that AU whiff’s on the SECCG and ended the season with 3 losses, the championship hopes are dashed.  Arky will come with a very lucrative offer, placing AU in a tough spot.  Do we match or exceed the Arky offer for a coach that has shown inconsistency or do we let Arky take him?

11 minutes ago, aubieclawz said:

No, that's not what I'm saying...

i have never been a fan of Gus since he was hired and still have mixed emotions about the man. i think he's arrogant,, a little slow,, super hard headed and inept in many areas. However he recruits well and seems to surround himself w/ good people. When he lets them do their job and stays out of the way it's good; i've can't recall how many games over the past 3+ years i've been screaming at my tv claiming "we won this game in spite of Gus"! He's called so many good-ball plays and/or has no vision or backup plan sometimes it's been astonishing g,,, that's before listening to his pressers! Ancient chinese proverb said "its better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and prove it". That could have been written about Gus over the past few years. The backwards county boy from Arkansas has been in way over his head since he took the job,, unfortunately or fortunately,,, he's the only one that didn't know it! I've been optimistic he would grow into the job and mature as a head coach and he's still not there,,, but possibly making progress? If he wants to stay i'll support him but no way he gets a raise or extorts Auburn for more $$! If he's really dumb enough to leave this program w/ the talent we have coming back,,, i say don't let the door hit you in the Arse! If kiffin would agree to suspend/cancel all his social media accounts then i might could see us rolling w/ him? Maybe Steele could mentor him and help him grow up?  he's the best offensive coach we've seen since Petrino. He'd do wonders w/ what we have in the pipeline and we could pick him up for a bargain. War Damn Eagle! 

Let them have him. He can continue to choke away Championship games somewhere else. He owes us a NC and an SEC Championship that he essentially lost for us. These kids weren't remotely prepared.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No I meant AU. Getting dominated doesn't help AL

1 minute ago, FoundationEagle said:

And if it's 7 mil?  Just match it?  No thanks

Exactly, he doesn't deserve a penny more than what he already has. If he's ungrateful enough to want to leave at this point, let him go.

4 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Call his bluff! Actually a pretty good position I think. Btw- are we supposed to sit up and watch tonight? The rumor about Arky's walmart piper-cub swooping in at midnight some crap like that?

I’m not staying up to watch. I don’t care for Gus and really don’t give a flying crap if he leaves. I’d throw every dime I had at Bob Stoops. 

7 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

You need to change your name to Douchetiger. Would be much more fitting.

I think the actual German spelling is Duschetiger. LOL 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not agreeing or disagreeing, just spitballing here. Say Gus bolts..who do you want?

Short list

kiffin

venables

memphis coach 

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not agreeing or disagreeing, just spitballing here. Say Gus bolts..who do you want?

I have no issue admitting I don't have that answer. I'm not suggesting him leaving is a great scenario. I just think the risk of who to hire is less than the risk of a new 30- 40 mil contract on Gus

Archived