A little perspective, please

AURex

2 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

It's pretty simple why we lost. Too many uncharacteristic arm tackles, D- Line either getting spread out or over pursuing, taking advantage of our starting corner going down, not containing the edge, turnovers, points off turnovers, 3rd down %. Uga showed again that they are a very undisciplined team but they just squared up and beat us tonight. WDE win or lose.

With all of this we were still within a score into the fourth quarter.  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, aubie17 said:

With all of this we were still within a score into the fourth quarter.  

They gave us some help with their penalties but anybody who's ever played could see the writing on the wall. Lose the LOS and the TO margin, you lose the game.

Seen almost nothing about the blocked FG which to me was a big turning point.  Any explanations offered?  Rarely see them blocked but 2 or 3 this season....unusual. 

3 hours ago, madkat7 said:

I think this all boils down to the fact that Gus needs to learn lessons the hard way.

You speak the truth.   And it has to be the result of some catastrophic situation or loss. Such as playing ultra conservative with lead early in a game, or not having a solid plan if your first string RB is hurt.   My son is a teenager and is the same way. Gus isn't a teenager,, he should learn in the way most adults do. 

I’m not hanging this one on Gus. Team seemed tired and beat up. Two key turnovers are not Gus’s fault. Defense was not as good as it has been with too many missed tackles and bad angles.  Blocked FG was huge. Tough to ask a team to beat a rival twice in 4weeks especially when that rival is really good.  Gus did a fantastic job of pulling this team up after LSU and even though this loss will diminish it no one should forget those two Saturdays at JHS beating UGA and the turds.  

All that being said, I still have some doubts about Gus’s long term prospects at AU.  But with the coaching landscape the way it is we are in good shape keeping him and I doubt he bolts for arky.  

Lastly, I continue to be amazed at how folks react to message board talk.  Pump sunshine or criticize if you want. Thats what message boards are for. If everyone came on hear and agreed and pumped sunshine and didn’t question the coaches or be critical of anything and everyone just came on hear and patted each other on the back then what’s the point of the message board? This was a successful season by most standards but there were also obvious times to be critical.  I see the same people on here complaining when folks get negative and I have to wonder then why on earth do you keep coming back?  I have a tendency to go negative and I actually appreciate the sunshine pumpers who balance it out.  Message boards are going to have negativity especially when it comes to sports. I’ll take the 10 win season and wins over UGA and uat.  I do hope Gus stays. I also still have questions about the future. I believe that is fair. WDE.

8 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I’m not hanging this one on Gus. Team seemed tired and beat up. Two key turnovers are not Gus’s fault. Defense was not as good as it has been with too many missed tackles and bad angles.  Blocked FG was huge. Tough to ask a team to beat a rival twice in 4weeks especially when that rival is really good.  Gus did a fantastic job of pulling this team up after LSU and even though this loss will diminish it no one should forget those two Saturdays at JHS beating UGA and the turds.  

All that being said, I still have some doubts about Gus’s long term prospects at AU.  But with the coaching landscape the way it is we are in good shape keeping him and I doubt he bolts for arky.  

Lastly, I continue to be amazed at how folks react to message board talk.  Pump sunshine or criticize if you want. Thats what message boards are for. If everyone came on hear and agreed and pumped sunshine and didn’t question the coaches or be critical of anything and everyone just came on hear and patted each other on the back then what’s the point of the message board? This was a successful season by most standards but there were also obvious times to be critical.  I see the same people on here complaining when folks get negative and I have to wonder then why on earth do you keep coming back?  I have a tendency to go negative and I actually appreciate the sunshine pumpers who balance it out.  Message boards are going to have negativity especially when it comes to sports. I’ll take the 10 win season and wins over UGA and uat.  I do hope Gus stays. I also still have questions about the future. I believe that is fair. WDE.

Good post.......but let me suggest that it's not the critiques that are the issue...it's when some people get personal....disagree with some of them and you are declared to be an idiot.....or they don't like a play call and the coaches are morons ....stuff like that. 

Pretty easy for people hiding behind some cute handle to cut loose on someone else I guess ....Auburn Family forum or not.  Anyway.....some good folks to joust with on here and it is much more fun to do when everyone is being civil. 

18 hours ago, Shift said:

This guy gets it.

Actually, I somewhat disagree. There have been few big openings this year, so a lot of talented younger coaches at non-power 5 schools are not in play. ATM went for an in place Power 5 coach, as did UF. UTK has been doing the same thing since the Schiano debacle, as is Arkansas with Malzahn. Nebraska went with Frost, I don't know what FSU will do. Rumors are flying that UTK is looking at Les Miles, and others have speculated about Tee Martin.

Moo State did grab a hot coordinator. Schiano is still a coordinator. As is Venables.

But I do know that most of those who made the "10 hottest up an coming coaches" and "10 hottest coordinators" lists will not be changing jobs.

The biggest risk in replacing Malzahn is if he leaves is going after a good Power 5 coach. They are all locking in raises and extensions. The pool of Power 5 coordinators and Group of 5 coaches is very good this year.

Letting Gus get away at this point would just be stupid.  Who we gonna get that would be better?  This team matches up with any team in the country athletically. Recruiting has been solid every year and we have some great assistant coaches (except for special teams and that needs to change).  The record year in and year out has more to do with who we are playing than anything else.  Look at this year's playoff.  We played 3 of the 4 teams and one of them twice.  We played all 4 of this year's playoff teams last year.  That is ridiculous but that's what we do.  Gus doesn't make the schedule but he has to play it.  Name one other team in the country playing that many games against the other top teams.  

I don't think our loss yesterday was completely on Gus. A lot of what cost us the games were mistakes made by the players (i.e. the fumble, JS overthrowing or underthrowing, WR's not catching the ball, etc). However, I do think the wide receiver and special teams coaches need to be replaced.

On December 2, 2017 at 6:35 PM, keesler said:

I think Gus is pushing for a hefty salary right up there with Mullen and Fisher, isn’t he?

He ought to make more than Mullen and after this year's FSU record, more than Jimbo too.

Archived