Teams punished for playing in Championship games

TigerOne

4 hours ago, AuMarine said:

What the committee said today was: 

SOS does not matter

Conference Championships do not matter.

Losing late in the season does not matter. (unless you are Wisconsin and your only loss was in the Conference Championship game.. then that matters.) 

None of it matters if you’re UAT. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Why are any of you surprised?  The committee said LAST YEAR that conference titles do not matter when OSU got in over PSU.  And remember, PSU beat OSU head-to-head last year.

I'm about to say something unpopular.  I HATE Bama with a passion, but if we're identifying the four best teams, then the committee got this right.  They lost once, on the road, to their arch-rival.  It just so happens they play in the same division, so they couldn't win the conference.  Clemson's loss was way worse.  Ohio State got destroyed twice this year, including once by an average Iowa team.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be livid if AU wasn't in right now.

What Top 10 team did the turds beat this year?

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Truth is if we take care if business in Baton Rouge, then we are in no matter yesterday's outcome.

I respectfully disagree. With a loss to Clemson and Georgia we are not in the playoff system. They would still go with the turds or Ohio State over us even with a win over LSU.

Apart from hating Bama, the primary reason I feel like their selection is wrong is the championship games yesterday. If they don't matter, then let's do away with them. Prior to yesterday we were in & Wisconsin was in. But both of us had to play while Bama sat home & watched, risking nothing, & get rewarded for that. Another poster suggested only conference champs should be considered. I'd be glad for that. Or maybe only those who make the conference championship game. But punishing those who make a championship game just seems wrong to me.

Just now, TigerTennis80 said:

Apart from hating Bama, the primary reason I feel like their selection is wrong is the championship games yesterday. If they don't matter, then let's do away with them. Prior to yesterday we were in & Wisconsin was in. But both of us had to play while Bama sat home & watched, risking nothing, & get rewarded for that. Another poster suggested only conference champs should be considered. I'd be glad for that. Or maybe only those who make the conference championship game. But punishing those who make a championship game just seems wrong to me.

I wouldn’t be as upset if Alabama played Georgia, in the championship game, lost the game, and was still selected with one loss. But the fact that they didn’t even play in the championship game, and still got invited to the playoffs, is ridiculous!

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

I respectfully disagree. With a loss to Clemson and Georgia we are not in the playoff system. They would still go with the turds or Ohio State over us even with a win over LSU.

An early season loss to #1 Clemson by 8 and a loss to #3 UGA after previously beating #1 UGA. I would say we're in.  It would've been the same argument as Clemson losing a close one to Miami...both would've been in

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Truth is if we take care if business in Baton Rouge, then we are in no matter yesterday's outcome.

Coaching kept us out of the playoffs! Hey let’s give Gus a raise and an extension!

This is the problem you have when your best teams are subjective picks. Remember in 2014 when UAT and Fla. St. were 1 and 2 and OSU was a weak #4? Oregon and OSU played for the Championship that year and the weak #4 OSU won the title. If the BCS had been played that year it would have been UAT and Fla. St. The difference is the BCS was 2 teams and the Playoffs are 4 teams but still based on subjective picks. I would much prefer having the conference championships determine 5 teams and then some method for another 3. Probably still some subjectivity but with 3 of 8 teams. You play the season schedule to make the conference championships so yes I do put emphasis on that. Its up to the conferences to make sense of the scheduling (playing UGA during the season at the risk of again in the conference championship).

I also think Satan has earned his best coach, players, and program over the last 8 or 9 years. Instead of pulling them down, I want us to displace them on the field. They are hated because they are very good all the time. We should expect to attain that level of play. All the arguments kinda cancel out for picking or not picking Satan to play in the playoffs. Next time maybe we should expect our coaches to have us in a position to be included regardless of how it is determined. And yes don't forget that useless loss to LSU. They all count.

If a 12-1 Auburn had been left out, then we'd have a conversation. But we lost 2 games before the SECCG. One of those losses was unforgivable by any measure and we gave up 11 sacks in the other while gaining less total yardage than an FCS team did against the same defense. Also, we didn't just lose Saturday. We got our asses handed to us.

Being in the SECCG didn't cost us the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I wouldn’t be as upset if Alabama played Georgia, in the championship game, lost the game, and was still selected with one loss. But the fact that they didn’t even play in the championship game, and still got invited to the playoffs, is ridiculous!

So is it a done deal? I’m been out of the loop today. God I hope not. 

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Read this about Strength of Record (advanced metrics).  Note the point about placing teams in a vacuum with school names in the article.  It's really salient to my argument.

Placed in a vacuum, without names or conferences attached to these schools, Alabama had the better strength of record. According to ESPN Stats & Information, the average Top 25 team would only have a 9 percent chance of going 11-1 against Alabama's schedule. Accordingly, the average Top 25 team would have a 14 percent chance to go 11-2 against Ohio State's schedule.

www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21654631/why-college-football-playoff-selection-committee-gave-alabama-crimson-tide-nod-ohio-state-buckeyes

If that is the same article I read then the video at the top shows Palmer discussing that Ohio State had the better resume, that they are being punished for the one loss, and that Alabama has had the halo effect with the committee all year. Alabama got in on the halo effect. Surprised he said that.

It has been really interesting to listen to the ABC/ESPN/CBS crews discuss Alabama vs the Fox crews. Hell, over half the SEC championship game was Daniels talking Alabama in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, penguin149 said:

I think UCF should have been #4.  Otherwise, the Playoff Committee is telling EVERY non-Power 5 school that there will NEVER be a chance to make the playoffs.  Win all regular season games? Check.  Win your conference championship game? Check.  Then be told "Thanks for playing but we're going to take a group of teams with one loss each....even a team that, not only didn't win their conference but, didn't even win their division."

All non-Power 5 conferences should revolt.  Unless you are a Power 5 team, you will never, ever be in the playoffs.  But thanks for playing and come back next year!!

They've basically already told the non-perishable 5 schools that they have no chance, and unfortunstely, if we play like we should in our bowl game, they will use that result as evidence as to why.

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

An early season loss to #1 Clemson by 8 and a loss to #3 UGA after previously beating #1 UGA. I would say we're in.  It would've been the same argument as Clemson losing a close one to Miami...both would've been in

I disagree that we would of gotten in. You then have us with 2 L's still and Alabama with one. Like the video with Palmer says, Alabama has had the favor of the committee all year, they were getting the halo effect. I think they would take a 1 L Alabama team over a 2 L Auburn team.

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Why are any of you surprised?  The committee said LAST YEAR that conference titles do not matter when OSU got in over PSU.  And remember, PSU beat OSU head-to-head last year.

I'm about to say something unpopular.  I HATE Bama with a passion, but if we're identifying the four best teams, then the committee got this right.  They lost once, on the road, to their arch-rival.  It just so happens they play in the same division, so they couldn't win the conference.  Clemson's loss was way worse.  Ohio State got destroyed twice this year, including once by an average Iowa team.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be livid if AU wasn't in right now.

so USC, Ohio St are not best teams but are conference champs?

Why do a bunch back room buddied get to decide whos best especially since it wasn't proven on the field.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If a 12-1 Auburn had been left out, then we'd have a conversation. But we lost 2 games before the SECCG. One of those losses was unforgivable by any measure and we gave up 11 sacks in the other while gaining less total yardage than an FCS team did against the same defense. Also, we didn't just lose Saturday. We got our asses handed to us.

Being in the SECCG didn't cost us the playoffs.

so Georgia conference champs gets punished by being sent to the Rose instead of the Sugar. Got to give updykes homefield.

Short trip to New Orleans be like playing at LSU

13 minutes ago, auskull said:

This is the problem you have when your best teams are subjective picks. Remember in 2014 when UAT and Fla. St. were 1 and 2 and OSU was a weak #4? Oregon and OSU played for the Championship that year and the weak #4 OSU won the title. If the BCS had been played that year it would have been UAT and Fla. St. The difference is the BCS was 2 teams and the Playoffs are 4 teams but still based on subjective picks. I would much prefer having the conference championships determine 5 teams and then some method for another 3. Probably still some subjectivity but with 3 of 8 teams. You play the season schedule to make the conference championships so yes I do put emphasis on that. Its up to the conferences to make sense of the scheduling (playing UGA during the season at the risk of again in the conference championship).

I also think Satan has earned his best coach, players, and program over the last 8 or 9 years. Instead of pulling them down, I want us to displace them on the field. They are hated because they are very good all the time. We should expect to attain that level of play. All the arguments kinda cancel out for picking or not picking Satan to play in the playoffs. Next time maybe we should expect our coaches to have us in a position to be included regardless of how it is determined. And yes don't forget that useless loss to LSU. They all count.

My experience with different fan bases has been they are hated cause of their fan base to be honest lol.

14 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

If that is the same article I read then the video at the top shows Palmer discussing that Ohio State had the better resume, that they are being punished for the one loss, and that Alabama has had the halo effect with the committee all year. Alabama got in on the halo effect. Surprised he said that.

It has been really interesting to listen to the ABC/ESPN/CBS crews discuss Alabama vs the Fox crews. Hell, over half the SEC championship game was Daniels talking Alabama in the playoffs.

Yeah, on ESPN radio they are still campaigning for Alabama and why they deserved to be in.  Of course ESPN/ ABC and CBS have a financial invested interest in Alabama/SEC.  If you think about it, what other team in the sec got more prime time coverage and more national exposure by these networks than Alabama?  It’s all about the money.  They are campaigning for their money.  Now fox sports is on the other side of the equation, and they are responsible for showing big 10 games.

ESPN has made a killing on college football now, and Alabama is their bell cow. Fair?  No.  But that’s not what it’s about. It’s about money.

5 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

ESPN has made a killing on college football now, and Alabama is their bell cow. Fair?  No.  But that’s not what it’s about. It’s about money.

That's why we have to go to a true playoff and get the human factor out. In a true playoff you win it on the field, not in some back room deal. I'm out of likes again or I would have just liked your post. #weneedmorelikes

20 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

My experience with different fan bases has been they are hated cause of their fan base to be honest lol.

I agree. I doubt a fan base that show their arrogance comes form losing. The true character comes to the forefront when one identifies with a team that wins consistently. Under Shula they were humbled when Tubs was winning 6 in a row.

2 minutes ago, auskull said:

I agree. I doubt a fan base that show their arrogance comes form losing. The true character comes to the forefront when one identifies with a team that wins consistently. Under Shula they were humbled when Tubs was winning 6 in a row.

God I long for those days once more. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings if bammer never won anything ever again. 

57 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

Apart from hating Bama, the primary reason I feel like their selection is wrong is the championship games yesterday. If they don't matter, then let's do away with them. Prior to yesterday we were in & Wisconsin was in. But both of us had to play while Bama sat home & watched, risking nothing, & get rewarded for that....  

But punishing those who make a championship game just seems wrong to me.

My thoughts exactly. I cannot understand how any team can back their way into this playoff by virtue of NOT making their conference title game. Alabama sat around all week, risk-free, while Auburn and Wisconsin, both having already accomplished more than Alabama, worked their tails off knowing what was at stake if they lost: 

That a team with no division crown, no championship game appearance, and no game to be played on Championship Saturday would most likely back into the Top 4. Yes, they would be rewarded for not having to play that extra game.

If this is the way the system is going to play out then screw it.  Bring back the days of the Blue Bonnet Bowl and kill the playoff.

I say they just come up with a point system.

- 1 point per victory

- 3 points for beating a Top 25 opponent 

- 5 points for beating a top 10 opponent

- 7 points for winning your division/conference championship

Add them up and teams stop getting penalized for losing that 13th game because they still have more points.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Right. Auburn sitting with two losses-to playoff teams, coupled with beating 2 number 1s, puts Auburn in ahead of bamr and osu.

Archived