Report: Malzhan staying

Auctoritas

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the other day that Mr Harbert(construction guy) was very fond of Gus. You know he donated $40M to School of Business.

I do not think money is an issue. And if I had to guess he may chipping in a good portion as something other than from the  athletic dept. if so Gus could give his staff a raise too

I agree that we should get behind him and give him or support. I hate his decisions at times and I dislike him at times but this is the first year I’ve felt like Auburn was actually progressing and building something. The way he recruits and the guys that he has been recruiting lately has been great. The coaches he has hired has been great. Over the past five years Auburn has had a lot of turnover and new faces and I personally feel like we finally have the personal in place to have a championship run, hell we were one game away this year. I’d like to find a new WR coach and keep everyone else in place and see where we can go from here. 

Very happy that cooler heads prevailed at AU.  Gus has been part of three AU teams that have been, at a minimum, SEC West champions 3 times in the last 8 years, 2 time SEC Champion, and a national champion (if we all think back, our national championship was mostly due to Gus and Cam) -- and this during what is arguably the best years in the history of our cross-state rival.  Plus, we have beaten Alabama three times in that period, also.  Something that nobody else in the country has done.

Very happy! War Eagle!

Its done! Support the coach and the team now. Expectations are still as high as ever and that won't be changing anytime soon.

I am glad he is staying with the current environment in college football and everyone (it seems) getting new coaches. I am not happy about the raise or extension simply because we were played (again) by Sexton and Arkansas. Gus had a contract at Auburn through 2020 and he needed to live up to that deal before he got a new one. But I guess it is a catch 22.. had to give him more money to keep him.. He has to go earn this because he has done nothing up to this point to warrant 7 million a year.

I was officially off of the Gus bus after the Lsu debacle. I have been one of the biggest sunshine pumpers on this site. Gus did a remarkable job of coaching this team up to the point of knocking hard on the door of the final four dance.

The game yesterday was disappointing to say the least. KJ was injured and just did not have what was needed to win the game. I think this is a smart move with securing Gus for the foreseeable future. With his new contract, much expectations will be placed on him.  I like our chances with Gus, I honestly do. Let's stand behind Gus and let the good times roll!

The first 2 years of Gus' tenure was an anomaly. Instant success with another staff's players.  The last 3 he has gone 6-6, 8-4, 10-3. He has built a strong foundation for the program. He has instilled discipline and accountability. The recruiting is only getting better. We are not to the level where we are reloading yet, but we are getting close. The stability and continuity of coaches has been huge the past two years and will pay higher dividends as it continues.  It was time to marry or divorce Gus and AU decided to marry him.  As fans, it's time to embrace him and support him and know he wants what's best for AU as much as we do.

If I was AU, I'd try to insert some items into the contract....

1. Have some slants

2. Incorporate a TE more into the passing game

3. Learn how to have a plan b and c, that isn't plan a

4. Realize this is RB University and have more than one workhorse.

5. Trash the whirly bird play.

No particular order and he can incorporate anyway he wants.

lol

After lsu I was ready for Gus to go, but he found a way to beat two #1 teams in three weeks and with that he has  won me back. I'm ok with keeping Gus and really I don't see a coach available that would win any more or as much as Gus. I wish he could learn to get a team ready earlier in the season and not wait until we have lost a game or two.

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

Please provide some select quotes if you run across any real gems. 

Gus being Gus. Slime ball, played his home state again. I hope you Gus lovers will shut your pie holes! I honestly despise Gus, wanted Norvell. I should be happy, but I’m pissed Gus used us like a Kotex. Guck Fus!

The Gus crap has to go away and never be brought up again. We offered, he said no. Screw that guy now. He's not one of us.

So Gus had no intentions of coming to AR, he just used the UA as a bargaining chip to bump his salary. He will be fired long before that 5 year agreement is up..... and he will never coach here now. This was his one and only chance and he thumbed his nose at us.

Yep, Gus is still a spineless POS who does what's best for Gus. Just like when he bailed on the kids he recruited to Arkansas and never once said a word about what Nutt and his cronies were putting those kids through.

I wanted to give him his shot to come home and be a hero. Now I can't wait for his butt to get fired in 4-5 years. He will not be welcome back in this state as far as I'm concerned. Let's go get us a coach and drop some $$ on assistants and whoop some Auburn @$$.

1 minute ago, DAG said:
Gus being Gus. Slime ball, played his home state again. I hope you Gus lovers will shut your pie holes! I honestly despise Gus, wanted Norvell. I should be happy, but I’m pissed Gus used us like a Kotex. Guck Fus!

The Gus crap has to go away and never be brought up again. We offered, he said no. Screw that guy now. He's not one of us.

So Gus had no intentions of coming to AR, he just used the UA as a bargaining chip to bump his salary. He will be fired long before that 5 year agreement is up..... and he will never coach here now. This was his one and only chance and he thumbed his nose at us.

Yep, Gus is still a spineless POS who does what's best for Gus. Just like when he bailed on the kids he recruited to Arkansas and never once said a word about what Nutt and his cronies were putting those kids through.

I wanted to give him his shot to come home and be a hero. Now I can't wait for his butt to get fired in 4-5 years. He will not be welcome back in this state as far as I'm concerned. Let's go get us a coach and drop some $$ on assistants and whoop some Auburn @$$.

Oh that’s some good stuff. I don’t know what kind of reaction to drop on it. 

Well now that he's staying, perhaps he can convince some of our NFL talents to stay one more year, too. His best recruiting job could be keeping Stidham, Johnson, Holland, and Davis for one more year. 

We'll, as I was saying in another thread, there's not really a good replacement if we let him walk. Here's hoping we can go an off-season without losing s stellar player to off field issues.

Everyone on our team with any eligibility left should return. If that's the case we're an O-Line and some secondary depth away from being stellar.

24 minutes ago, Roos said:

I read the other day that Mr Harbert(construction guy) was very fond of Gus. You know he donated $40M to School of Business.

I do not think money is an issue. And if I had to guess he may chipping in a good portion as something other than from the  athletic dept. if so Gus could give his staff a raise too

Money will never be an issue for Auburn. We have the monsy

Ok as some above have stated we as a fan base need to now get fully behind Gus. I know I gave him a hard time at points during the season but he is our coach for the foreseeable future and hopefully the best is yet to come! War Eagle as always ? 

38 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yeah, 2 years in the top 7 is as average as it gets. And who is not beating Saban and #1 teams these days? And every team in the SEC has been to Atlanta 2 of the last 5 years and has a national title appearance. What are we thinking? WDE???!!!

Who would AU get if CGM had left ?

CGM has been coaching at this level 5 years.

In my view his upside is very high.

Is it a risk to ante up to keep him, yes.

But to blow up it and start over is even a great risk.

AU just got played to the tune of $7 million.   I would like to hear the TRUTH about all of this.   He could stay or go, either way was fine with me, but I would like to know why people at AU thought he was worth the reported price tag.  I doubt it is $ 7 million on a straight contract, or at least I hope it is, and hopefully the $ 7 million figure is due to incentives

Archived