Report: Malzhan staying

Auctoritas

47 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Damn. Alabama is really looking forward to next years iron bowl. Who could blame them.

Yeah if we had beat them this year I’d definitely feel a lot better about next year’s game. 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was fine with extending Gus’ contract but still don’t feel like his results justify a financial reward just yet. Having said that the stability this signifies, particularly to recruits, is big; ought to quash most/all of the negative recruiting that has apparently been making recruiting life tougher for these coaches

I was on the fire Gus after LSU . Although he did a great job turning things around. Loved his aggressiveness and trust he put in his players after that lose . This is the right move especially since this year is one of the worst years to be looking for a coach.  Even with away schedule next year UGA is losing a lot and if a few key guys decide to come back next year Auburn could really have a special year . With the recruiting a depth picking up I feel good about Auburn to dominate on a consistent basis . Need new special team coach , still on fence about Kodi but he is also young and still learning . I live in GA and don't have a lot of Auburn friends around so I appreciate this site to come blow off steam and get great info . 

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I was officially off of the Gus bus after the Lsu debacle.

Well, its time to move on and accept either blowing out opponents or getting blown out because we don't adjust or have a plan B. Just plain ole tunnel vision at times. We just needed to open up bigger holes, or at least a hole for KJ to run through with that limp shoulder. What a roller coaster ride but hey, I am getting use to it. No magic wane here and I don't expect a miracle immediately after signing for a 40% increase. But I do expect over the next 5 years to narrow that win/lose standard deviation. More like 10-11 games in lieu of 7-10 games annually.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

They were looking forward to it this year too

Hey Bird! You really have a way with words! Right you are on this one.

31 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

to much for any coach.......but the dollars are there

Gus could have written his ticket for other schools out there, but am glad he is staying with us.

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Please provide some select quotes if you run across any real gems. 

Lol I saw a good one. Went something like at least by making the Aubbies up the pay we will hurt their recruiting cause they will have less money to spend on players. Lol and then in classic Pig form said think Texas schools and old SWC...... everything in pig land goes back to taking it in the butt from the state of Texas.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

The first 2 years of Gus' tenure was an anomaly. Instant success with another staff's players.  The last 3 he has gone 6-6, 8-4, 10-3. He has built a strong foundation for the program. He has instilled discipline and accountability. The recruiting is only getting better. We are not to the level where we are reloading yet, but we are getting close. The stability and continuity of coaches has been huge the past two years and will pay higher dividends as it continues.  It was time to marry or divorce Gus and AU decided to marry him.  As fans, it's time to embrace him and support him and know he wants what's best for AU as much as we do.

The discipline thing is a good point. The Duke Williams fiasco shows what can happen when a coach tolerates bad behavior. Since the, Gus does not tolerate it. I am one of the few who is happy when a coach throws a player off the team for discipline issues.

The market has pretty much dictated the price point for Gus, and I'm sure we had at least match what Arkansas threw at Gus. I just hope he proves to be worth it in the next few years. As far as this year, the Gus Bus just ran outta gas... but as I said even in the post LSU turmoil, Gus and the coaching staff are excellent recruiters and the team is 100% behind him. The only way to build championship football any faster would require a Dodge dealership and some fishing trips.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

You ever heard a song called My Ding A Ling......... maybe you need to cause that fits you to a tee

Dammit Doug Clarke and the Hot Nuts flashback. Thanks golf.

1 hour ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Let them hire Norvell and see how he progresses as a coach. If he does progresses well and we do happen to “fire Gus” like they say we’re going then they would have primed Norvell right up for a big time job like AU and we can hire him away from them. ?

Joking of course. 

Have my eye on Norvell...the current and future future are very, very bright.

Has Gus actually signed the new contract deal?  I keep seeing some troubling information out of Arkansas that Gus is still thinking about their offer.  I sure as heck do not want to wake up tomorrow and find that Gus has gone to the pig sty and left us hanging.

I do not think this will happen, but with all of the crazy things that have transpired over the past few days, nothing would surprise me. I hope it is done and we can focus on a super recruiting class and our bowl game with UCF. UCF will be a tough nut to crack no doubt.

14 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Have my eye on Norvell...the current and future future are very, very bright.

Wonder what's cooking there......a number of schools need a new HC and have not heard his name connected to any of them yet.  Something we don't know?    

On the other hand, some of the one year wonders are having a struggle at the next level.. ...Fleck, Herman come to mind which might have some folks holding back.   Nebraska needed to make a splash hire after the last one and IMO, had to over-pay to get Frost to come back there. . 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Wonder what's cooking there......a number of schools need a new HC and have not heard his name connected to any of them yet.  Something we don't know?    

On the other hand, some of the one year wonders are having a struggle at the next level.. ...Fleck, Herman come to mind which might have some folks holding back.   Nebraska needed to make a splash hire after the last one and IMO, had to over-pay to get Frost to come back there. . 

Supposedly Norvell has some baggage. Since we don't allow rumors.....let's just say he'd be a "gamble"...........lol 

2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Supposedly Norvell has some baggage. Since we don't allow rumors.....let's just say he'd be a "gamble"...........lol 

Oh..?

12 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Then find another university to follow in football. He isn’t going anywhere. 

Um, I’m glad he’s staying. I meant other people here.

10 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Maybe people don't like the fact that he and his wife "prayed" about the move to Memphis and really are thriving. MEMPHIS. Not rumor. There have been more legitimate baggage names thrown around lately, even for Auburn on this board repeatedly, that perhaps Norvell has gotten buried in the mud. Not everyone cares about character.

P.S. Arkansas is zeroing in. We may have the "rumors" laid to rest across the field next fall.

http://archive.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football/team-norvell-from-mom-to-mentors-to-wife-maria-tiger-coach-has-had-plenty-of-help-along-the-way-3b74-392081301.html

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2015/dec/8/memphis-tigers-football-hitches-hopes-to-young-mike-norvell/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-razorbacks-football-coach-gus-malzahn-mike-norvell/amp

Archived