Gus' first and most important job

NorthGATiger

1st thing is to finally hire a useful WR, Special teams, and TE coach. It's stupid that we bring in  stud WRs and then pat Kodi on the back because they can block well. 

Next, teach Gus to actually build depth as opposed to running/throwing to only 1 person. That you can habe base O runs that aren't up the centers ass.

Then, either let the OC develop actual calling concepts and route trees or find a new OC. If that doesn't happen, find a new HC actually worth 7M

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

Keep on recruiting (as he was today)

Keep the staff intact, but find someone that can do SOMETHING, ANYTHING to improve our Special Teams.

Keep those who are on the fence about declaring to stay and have a SPECIAL 2018.

TOTALLY agree with all of these points......

As for special teams, this has me totally baffled. Auburn has always had great special teams. Some of our most  memorable games have had special teams wins. We HAVE to get back to that, some way.

Where is Jay Boulware? Can we get him back and just pay him double. 

Also we have one of the best RB coaches and recruiters in Larry Porter.  Where is he? It's like he don't exist now, don't hear him in recruiting or anything.

Im no football expert, but ...Gus, work on half adjustments! It just seems to me when the original game plan doesn't work, nothing changes and we keep trying the same thing. Maybe there is more to it than what I see, but I have grown to have very little confidence that we will turn things around in the 2nd half or whenever when we are down.  

1st job - Keep Steele and Lindsey on staff.

2nd job - Hypnotize Holland into staying.

3rd job - Learn how to handle multiple RB's and not run one into the ground.

4th job - Learn how to game plan when your main RB has a damaged shoulder and won't be effective. Granted, this last situation doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it just might be important.

Gus should go into a game with a plan, but realize that plan may not work.  Therefore, have a contingency plan, a plan B so to speak, and what is just as important, learn how to recognize when your original plan is not working.

By the way, this type of philosophy can also be used with personnel decisions.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus should go into a game with a plan, but realize that plan may not work.  Therefore, have a contingency plan, a plan B so to speak, and what is just as important, learn how to recognize when your original plan is not working.

By the way, this type of philosophy can also be used with personnel decisions.

But that would require him to use logic, which would be atypical in his stupid-genius universe.

Few things...

1. I don't think it's fair to use Chubb as a reason why Auburn should "beg" draft-eligible juniors to stay. Chubb was one season removed from a knee injury that kept him out half of 2015 and needed to improve his draft stock and prove he was healthy. Had he not busted his knee, he would have left as a junior.

2. Michel and the draft-eligible defensive stars (Davin Bellamy, Lorenzo Carter, Roquan Smith, Aaron Davis) who ended up staying most likely didn't do it because Kirby and co. begged them to. Kirby's from the NFL factory that is Alabama, where it's a "3-and-done" mentality for the players. If they stayed, it was to improve their stocks.

3. If Auburn's draft-eligile juniors get a first to third round grade, then they should by all means leave and not risk anything. Our coaches shouldn't have to beg them to stay for the sake of the team. Like some of you pointed out, if anything, the coaches should just explain how staying can improve their stocks. Asking/begging them to stay for the team almost sounds like they don't have as much trust in the younger players. They recruited each member of this team to make a difference, it's time to give them the opportunity to step up. Remember: It should be about reloading not rebuilding.

4. I think Gus has some bigger fish to fry than which players are leaving or staying. I think he needs to find better, more legit WR and Special Teams coaches. Kodi is a great person, was a great player, and he represents Auburn SO well, but he's just not getting the job done with the WRs.

8 minutes ago, 1856 said:

But that would require him to use logic, which would be atypical in his stupid-genius universe.

Gus, I think, is realizing he needs to make some changes.  In one of our first games against either GSU or Mercer, their coach said he gamed planned against Gus’ offense instead of CCL offense.  It took us a while to out talent those teams.  After the LSU game, the play calling and scheming changed.

I’m hoping for the best and trying to be optimistic.

9 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

Few things...

1. I don't think it's fair to use Chubb as a reason why Auburn should "beg" draft-eligible juniors to stay. Chubb was one season removed from a knee injury that kept him out half of 2015 and needed to improve his draft stock and prove he was healthy. Had he not busted his knee, he would have left as a junior.

2. Michel and the draft-eligible defensive stars (Davin Bellamy, Lorenzo Carter, Roquan Smith, Aaron Davis) who ended up staying most likely didn't do it because Kirby and co. begged them to. Kirby's from the NFL factory that is Alabama, where it's a "3-and-done" mentality for the players. If they stayed, it was to improve their stocks.

3. If Auburn's draft-eligile juniors get a first to third round grade, then they should by all means leave and not risk anything. Our coaches shouldn't have to beg them to stay for the sake of the team. Like some of you pointed out, if anything, the coaches should just explain how staying can improve their stocks. Asking/begging them to stay for the team almost sounds like they don't have as much trust in the younger players. They recruited each member of this team to make a difference, it's time to give them the opportunity to step up. Remember: It should be about reloading not rebuilding.

4. I think Gus has some bigger fish to fry than which players are leaving or staying. I think he needs to find better, more legit WR and Special Teams coaches. Kodi is a great person, was a great player, and he represents Auburn SO well, but he's just not getting the job done with the WRs.

Our WRs absolutely have to get better. They rarely get good separation. Another aspect of that is that they only run about 3 routes but still, it's been too many times JS is waiting for WRs to get open.

10 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

If Auburn's draft-eligile juniors get a first to third round grade, then they should by all means leave and not risk anything.

I'd say that any draft eligible player that is a sure draft pick and sure to make the cut at the next level should go. The NFL minimum salary will pay for a lot of things including a return to school to finish a degree. If I'm a coach and a player is sure to be drafted and make the cut, I tell them to take the money.

15 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus, I think, is realizing he needs to make some changes.  In one of our first games against either GSU or Mercer, their coach said he gamed planned against Gus’ offense instead of CCL offense.  It took us a while to out talent those teams.  After the LSU game, the play calling and scheming changed.

I’m hoping for the best and trying to be optimistic.

7 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Looks like they're gonna claim another mythical NC anyway.?

20171204_092325.jpg

I was at the PGA Championship this year at Quail Hollow in Charlotte when Justin Thomas won.  About 30 minutes before Thomas came down the 18th fairway, a guy next to me looks at his buddy and says, "So if JT wins this thing, will you guys claim another national championship?"

26 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

Few things...

Kodi is not the Special Teams coach.  Kodi is however bringing is a very legit WR class this year.  Tim Horton is the RB coach and ST coordinator.  Special teams were horrible this year and even though Auburn consistently produces 1,000 yard rushers we cannot bring in a 5* running back to play for us.  No offense to Asa Martin who looks like he should be a 5*.  If you are going to call out a coach lets call out the correct one.

1 minute ago, Newbomb said:

Kodi is not the Special Teams coach.  Kodi is however bringing is a very legit WR class this year.  Tim Horton is the RB coach and ST coordinator.  Special teams were horrible this year and even though Auburn consistently produces 1,000 yard rushers we cannot bring in a 5* running back to play for us.  No offense to Asa Martin who looks like he should be a 5*.  If you are going to call out a coach lets call out the correct one.

I know Kodi isn't the ST coach. Hence why I said "coaches" and "getting the job done with the WRs."

7 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

I know Kodi isn't the ST coach. Hence why I said "coaches" and "getting the job done with the WRs."

I stand corrected on that but still stand on which coach needs to be called out.  Horton has been a coach for longer than Kodi had been alive.  And doesn't Horton share some of the blame as a position coach for not getting a RB2 ready so the HC and OC feels confident in playing RB2?

16 hours ago, Newbomb said:

Hire a new Special Teams coach...  

Gus worked with special teams...oops

Heard this morning on Cole’s show that Auburn will more than likely be bringing in a defensive/st coach as Auburn’s 10th assistant coach.  

2 minutes ago, norcuron said:

Honest,. It hurts me and "us" but let the men go. If they have their shot to make millions of $. Good for them. You know the man across state makes a big deal about all the guys that leave early to go get rich and it seems to work for him very well. We send guys to the NFL and they get rich. That's a good selling point.

19 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Get Holland, Carlton Davis, and any other eligible players to come back for another year.  This is very important.  No inside info but I see Davis and Holland leaving.

1 minute ago, norcuron said:

No doubt.  I agree as long as they have good pre draft grades.  I look at KP and there is no way he should be leaving early but I hear he is gone which makes no sense to me.  Let me say this to clear any confusion though; What I hear is nothing more than speculation.  KP could have full intentions on coming back.  At this time he and the maybe the coaches are the only ones that know.

Archived