Lingering Questions...Add Yours.

ToraGirl

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Well, I did send a "thank you for a great season" email to Gus today, and he replied back with an effusive "Thank you", so I guess I am the obvious person to be that inside connection. :Sing:

I like the idea of looking at our schedule to see if we could move some of the rival games. But on the other hand, we seem to be stronger at the end of the year, so that's probably why it was originally planned that way.

Ya know, he could have been sitting there pondering his future... "the next positive or negative reaction I see determines my decision." Then all of a sudden he gets an email from 3rdgeneration saying "thanks" and the rest is history.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Umm...we are talking make-believe scenario. So, I am saying if we move to the east (Which we won't, seeing as that is how the SEC works), I would be fine with ditching the iron bowl as Alabama already has one cross-divisional rival in Tennessee. They can't have two. 

I'll play your hypothetical then:  moving AU to the East would then result in two teams (AU & UGA) without a permanent cross-division rival.  We've heard your opinion on having two cross-div rivals ... what does the SEC rulebook say about 2 teams not having one cross-div rival? 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

We didn't play each other for 30 odd years & then some and guess what? The sun still rises, taxes was still owed and the game of football continued to prosper. I guess I am not as real as you. Half of you guys whine about the unfair advantages they get anyhow. We would either meet them in the SEC championship game or the playoffs.

That was over 75 years ago.  Over a dispute that happened over one hundred years ago.  Many AU and uat fans alike would hate the idea of not playing each other annually.

Just now, AUloggerhead said:

I'll play your hypothetical then:  moving AU to the East would then result in two teams (AU & UGA) without a permanent cross-division rival.  We've heard your opinion on having two cross-div rivals ... what does the SEC rulebook say about 2 teams not having one cross-div rival? 

Well, for one thing, Missouri will have to move from the East to the west ending their made up Cross rivalry with Arkansas. After that, the sec could alter the cross rivalries. Of course, the contract ends in 2025. What I will say is Bama does NOT want to end their cross rivalry with Tennessee. That was one of the primary excuses that Bama used in the original argument for AU moving into the SEC.

Just now, 1856 said:

That was over 75 years ago.  Over a dispute that happened over one hundred years ago.  Many AU and uat fans alike would hate the idea of not playing each other annually.

Many? Take another poll. 

Just now, DAG said:

Well, for one thing, Missouri will have to move from the East to the west ending their made up Cross rivalry with Arkansas. After that, the sec could alter the cross rivalries. Of course, the contract ends in 2025. What I will say is Bama does NOT want to end their cross rivalry with Tennessee. That was one of the primary excuses that Bama used in the original argument for AU moving into the SEC.

Rightfully so.  A lot of bama fans consider their rivalry with UTk just as, or bigger than, the rivalry with AU. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Many? Take another poll. 

I guarantee you a majority of both fan bases want the Iron Bowl to stay as an annual game. 

Just now, 1856 said:

I guarantee you a majority of both fan bases want the Iron Bowl to stay as an annual game. 

There is no way you can guarantee that but we are getting off topic.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

We didn't play each other for 30 odd years & then some and guess what? The sun still rises, taxes was still owed and the game of football continued to prosper. I guess I am not as real as you. Half of you guys whine about the unfair advantages they get anyhow. We would either meet them in the SEC championship game or the playoffs.

Now of us were alive back then, so who would know if it didn't mean anything if we didn't play them. 

Why we keep wanting to not play them every year is ridiculous. first, it will never happen so why wish it?

We certainly didn't want to drop em when we were beating them in the 80's and 90's and 2000's. It simply is the Saban effect and we simply have to wait it out till he retires. We've beaten him 3 times in 7 years. Who else has done that?

It would make it easier if we could move the GA game to the middle of the year to give us a breather, especially in years playing there. But please don't put it at first of the year (Gus' will be still deciding our offense and playcalling then) lol.

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Now of us were alive back then, so who would know if it didn't mean anything if we didn't play them. 

Why we keep wanting to not play them every year is ridiculous. first, it will never happen so why wish it?

We certainly didn't want to drop em when we were beating them in the 80's and 90's and 2000's. It simply is the Saban effect and we simply have to wait it out till he retires. We've beaten him 3 times in 7 years. Who else has done that?

It would make it easier if we could move the GA game to the middle of the year to give us a breather, especially in years playing there. But please don't put it at first of the year (Gus' will be still deciding our offense and playcalling then) lol.

This. 

And could easily be 5-5. 2009 and 2014 could've gone our way but ended up going in favor of the turds in the waning moments. 

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If you were to construct your own self standing garage/storage building, what color roof would choose and why? 

I did not read the OP, only the thread title. 

I'd make it white, with a large orange stripe and two small blue ones on either side in the center to make it look like an AU helmet. 

I’d like to see amen corner revert back to home and away.  Years like this are great when we get our two biggest rivals at home and it could be argued it’s gotten Auburn to the Sec Championship twice.  Problem is even with the team returning next year it will be extremely difficult to win back to back road games against two top 5-10 teams. Play UGA in Athens two years in a row like they had to do.  Probably would help season ticket sales on the off years

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

So, let me repeat this. This is my opinion. I never said it would happen, nor do I care if we stay in the west. The iron bowl does not drive my emotions. So don't even try to call me out about the Saban effect. I am one of the few posters who doesn't give a damn what NS does and doesn't bitch about them every second of the day. I am one of the few posters who give them credit when credit is due. I am not obsessed with ALABAMA like all of you guys are. Personally, I hate UGA more than any team in the SEC.  If it means we had to play Alabama twice a year in the SEC east, I personally don't care. If it means we don't have to play them annually, again I don't give a crap.

What I did say was I wouldn't lose any sleep over not playing the iron bowl. The same way I am not losing sleep over Alabama making the playoffs. The same way I am not losing sleep that we had to play three of the top four teams in the playoffs. We have to deal with whatever hand is dealt. Me, I only care about what benefits AU and what they are doing because Alabama fans sure as heck don't give a crap about what is going on over here. And guess what? CGM feels the same freaking way. 

I want to move to the East just so we dont have to play the number 1 hardest schedule every single year (in the event we would make a conference championship) 

We also should stop opening w hard teams OOC every year. If you gotta play the hardest combination of in conference teams in the season, then at least on a year like next year where everything's on the road, open with like UAB. Give yourself a chance to do better

56 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

it will never happen so why wish it

Never wished it. The point of the thread was lingering questions and one of them was SEC east scenarios. Newsflash, there are only two ways we can get into the SEC east. 1). We lose our annual rivalry with Alabama because Alabama has said they aren't giving up their rivalry with Tennessee. 2). We move to a 9 game schedule that way it doesn't matter about cross-division rivals. Of course, you guys who whine about Bama will have a fit about that because NS has been begging for that for some time now.

59 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

so who would know if it didn't mean anything if we didn't play them.

Reading comprehension. I never said it didn't matter. My examples were to point out time still moves on. Believe it or not, the world won't end if we didn't have an annual schedule game with Bama. I mean it might in some of you guys world.

3 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

As Auburn prepares to hire a new AD, is now the time to open discussion about....

How about an open discussion about the SEC and NCAA both giving preferential treatment to our biggest rival, and looking the other way when they ignore the rules. I bet, this year, they made quite a few more enemy's by backing into the play-offs over several arguably more deserving teams. It's time for the rest of the college football world to say enough is enough.

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

How about an open discussion about the SEC and NCAA both giving preferential treatment to our biggest rival, and looking the other way when they ignore the rules. I bet, this year, they made quite a few more enemy's by backing into the play-offs over several arguably more deserving teams. It's time for the rest of the college football world to say enough is enough.

Here here!

1 hour ago, 1856 said:

Rightfully so.  A lot of bama fans consider their rivalry with UTk just as, or bigger than, the rivalry with AU. 

Bama players feel either UTK OR LSU are their biggest rivals. I think 09 was the last time LSU beat them and I truly don't remember the last time the Vols beat them. 

I know that a "move to the East topic" can be a hot potato, but it does have merit for discussion at higher levels of the Auburn family. 

As for schedule changes, the SEC office makes most of the schedule decisions these days. I guess that they could be petitioned to move the Georgia game to earlier in the year.

A question that lingers with me is whether or not Gus has the fire to last seven years. He is still young enough, I just pray that he develops a sense of urgency in ALWAYS having his teams prepared to face any team on the schedule....

i think trying to move to the east would be a public nightmare and just give our rivals ammo to bang us on the recruiting trails. you can paint it any color you want but it will always be seen by anyone not pulling for the orange and blue as being scared even if that is not the case. and i can her rival coaches telling recruits they do not want to go to auburn because we are afraid to play folks. hell some coaches would break into the old funky chicken dance right there. i for one do not want to give our enemies any more ammo then they already use..............

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Two things I positively know will never happen. The creator of the sopranos will never let on if Tony Soprano got whacked or not & the SEC will never let us go to the east. No point in even hoping or thinking about either of the two.

I can agree, but there were also those that said the iron bowl would never be played at Jordan Hare. We should already be in the east!

The most realistic scenario would be to go back to the bama and GA game being played in the same year (one home and one away).  That would mean playing them at GA two years in a row but it would help a little.   The other would be playing nine conference games and not having a permanent cross division game 

4 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

The most realistic scenario would be to go back to the bama and GA game being played in the same year (one home and one away).  That would mean playing them at GA two years in a row but it would help a little.   The other would be playing nine conference games and not having a permanent cross division game 

I had just written a lengthy response suggesting this very thing, but my computer went nuts and nothing posted. Damn technology!

I would have to think UGA would be ok with this, because when the change occurred when Mizzou and A&M joined, it screwed up UGA's schedule with GTech. They now have us and Tech on the same home schedule, whereas they used to be opposite.

7 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Bama players feel either UTK OR LSU are their biggest rivals. I think 09 was the last time LSU beat them and I truly don't remember the last time the Vols beat them. 

The LSU rivalry has certainly heated up since saban went over to uat, but by no means do they consider it as big as Auburn.

Archived