Draft Eligible Players/Depth Chart 2018

tbone1430

As far as the offensive side the only two I see that are in question would be KJ and Bubba. Not sure about either but my gut says Bubba goes and KJ stays, just a hunch. However, if KJ thinks he's gonna get run into the ground like this year I'd hope he'd leave for his health. On the defensive side, we have Russell, Holland, Deshaun, and Carlton. Got a feeling Sensei is gone due to his breakout year. Think Russell and Deshaun may come back to try to improve their stock. Carlton to me is a lean towards the draft. Gonna have to find out if they want to stick around to build on this year or get paid. 

As far as the depth chart for 2018, OL will need to find a center. Think we have a good base with Prince at LT, Harrell LG, and Horton RG. I think Ashley has a good chance at being the other tackle with center being the wildcard. All other offensive spots look great. Defensively the D-line will plug and chug with the talent and depth there. Linebackers will stay solid with hopefully only Tre leaving. Corners are good with maybe Carlton gone hopefully Leonard and Peters step up as reliable backups. Safety is razor thin with probably only Thomas and Dinson being the other options back there. Would love to find a Juco safety or two for depth. Hopefully some freshman come in ready to contribute too. What say you? 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant imagine Bubba's draft stock is anything besides undrafter free agent but who knows what goes on between him and the coaching staff outside of the field. I do love to watch him run when hes healthy though. 

I think one of KJ/KP return. On D, I think Carlton Davis is gone, along with Jeff Holland. Aside from those two, I think Javaris Davis would be the next most likely to leave behind those two.

It looks like we have close to a consensus (unfortunately)

I expect KJ, CD, JH to grade well, enter the draft and represent AU well!  I think KP will go as an UFA.  

Ive got JS, DR, DD, and JD staying for one more year. 

So, as far as 2018 depth, RB will be a concern in that scenario.  We will have a stable of young, talented, but unproven RBs (KM, DB, MM, AM, WS, and maybe JW)

3 OL positions should be pretty much set. CA is the likely front runner for RT. The big concern is C!  It seems to be a Kim vs Brahms battle. 

And then of course Safety depth is a concern.  I’m really hoping QM comes out of the gate like a Beast!

5 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

KJ is an idiot if he stays. RBs have short enough lives in pro without HCs  who need training wheels running them into the ground. 

I guess Chubb was an idiot for coming back this year too, huh?

5 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

Safety is razor thin with probably only Thomas and Dinson being the other options back there.

I expect Peters to be at one safety and Thomas at another with Dinson at nickle. I could also see one of the EE freshman taking over Midway through the season if not sooner.

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Chubb came back to improve his draft stock because he wasn't as healthy as he thought he'd be in 2016, one season removed from his knee injury.

I think everyone who has eligibility should return or they're foolish. Dear God someone get us a punter though.

21 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I think everyone who has eligibility should return or they're foolish. Dear God someone get us a punter though.

Punter and Special Teams coach!

Something tells me our special teams coach is not a hot commodity to be hired away any time soon.

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Not even close to a similar situation. UGA's staff knew how to use multiple running backs and rotated Chubb and Michel enough to keep them fresh and healthy. Their staff, unlike others who shall remain nameless (Auburn's staff - ok, maybe not nameless), don't run single RB's into the ground. Plus, they thought/knew they had a chance to make a serious run this year, and it turns out they were right.

8 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

KJ is an idiot if he stays. RBs have short enough lives in pro without HCs  who need training wheels running them into the ground. 

You listen to bamzos, don't you? Bad mistake on your part, it makes your posts sound just like the bitter losers on Al.com.

2 hours ago, WDE0007 said:

Chubb came back to improve his draft stock because he wasn't as healthy as he thought he'd be in 2016, one season removed from his knee injury.

Depending on the severity of KJ's injuries, the situation may be comparable.

If he has another shoulder surgery, then he may need to return to prove he can handle the pounding in the NFL. I think that is a big question mark for NFL teams considering him.

Concerning overusing KJ, or any back, The HUNH offense ,by design, will give one back the vast majority of carries. Unless you do it per possessions, you can’t sub and keep the HUNH going. We get most of our rushing yards by going fast. Or find a way to play two rb’s on the field at the same time 

2 minutes ago, subterranean_jack said:

If he has another shoulder surgery, then he may need to return to prove he can handle the pounding in the NFL. I think that is a big question mark for NFL teams considering him.

I agree. I read an article about Nick Chubb's recovery post-surgery, and it said that he did taekwondo/mixed martial arts training as part of his rehab to learn how to trust his body again. Maybe that's something KJ can look into as well. I know the D-line participated in martial arts training over the summer.

31 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

I agree. I read an article about Nick Chubb's recovery post-surgery, and it said that he did taekwondo/mixed martial arts training as part of his rehab to learn how to trust his body again. Maybe that's something KJ can look into as well. I know the D-line participated in martial arts training over the summer.

KJ does have something to prove as regards his durability....don't think he's had a full season where he was healthy ....his aggressive running style is sometimes more than his body can stand.

That said, perhaps we need to give #18 from Georgia some credit for pretty much taking KJ out of the game on Saturday.....that late hit (flagless of course) directly on KJ's shoulder after he was clearly on the ground was enough do the job.    Dirty but effective play for thuga and guess he got a helmet sticker or something for that one.  

Skill players

Pettway back (can't have much draft stock right now with no playing time this year and injury issues)

KJ Gone (smart choice on his part)

Stidham back 

Ryan Davis back 

(is anyone on the o line good enough to go early?)

Defense

Carlton Davis Gone (true #1 corners are rare. He is going to go high)

Holland Gone (good skills and lane discipline, good hands, NFL loves pass rushers and he's the most productive one in the SEC)

Not sure who else could go but hopefully no one else on the d line leaves early. They've been beasts this year.

58 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Concerning overusing KJ, or any back, The HUNH offense ,by design, will give one back the vast majority of carries. Unless you do it per possessions, you can’t sub and keep the HUNH going. We get most of our rushing yards by going fast. Or find a way to play two rb’s on the field at the same time 

AU was subbing every play in the SECCG so that wasn't a factor.

3 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Punter and Special Teams coach!

Something tells me our special teams coach is not a hot commodity to be hired away any time soon.

We don't have a special teams coach, actually. lol But yes, that needs to be a priority after finishing close to last in the NCAA this season.

27 minutes ago, hutchids said:

Pettway back (can't have much draft stock right now with no playing time this year and injury issues)

There are rumors circulating that he held himself out because he doesn't want to risk another injury...ie: he's planning on going Pro.

He has a family, and making NFL rookie minimum regardless of whether he is drafted or not (a few hundred K a year) is more than he's making at Auburn next season.  Peyton Barber didn't get drafted and he's making money in the NFL, in fact he just had a huge game yesterday.

Unless he is going to get drafted in the first ~2 or 3 rounds, there isn't much difference between going 4th-7th round and signing as an undrafted free agent.  He isn't a prototypical back in the first place, so its unlikely that a team is going to use a 1st round pick on him even if he comes back next year.  His NFL role is likely as a short-yardage and FB hybrid, and he's already shown he can do that.

5 minutes ago, metafour said:

There are rumors circulating that he held himself out because he doesn't want to risk another injury...ie: he's planning on going Pro.

He has a family, and making NFL rookie minimum regardless of whether he is drafted or not (a few hundred K a year) is more than he's making at Auburn next season.  Peyton Barber didn't get drafted and he's making money in the NFL, in fact he just had a huge game yesterday.

Unless he is going to get drafted in the first ~2 or 3 rounds, there isn't much difference between going 4th-7th round and signing as an undrafted free agent.  He isn't a prototypical back in the first place, so its unlikely that a team is going to use a 1st round pick on him even if he comes back next year.  His NFL role is likely as a short-yardage and FB hybrid, and he's already shown he can do that.

Mike Tolbert lite.

1 hour ago, subterranean_jack said:

Thinking about his possible mindset and apparent love for Auburn and desire to achieve, I genuinely think KJ comes back. I even believe for some reason that if KP’s lack of playing time was in fact injury-related and not discipline related, he chooses to come back also. No information but just a personal observation.

9 minutes ago, metafour said:

I figured this was the case with KP. I don't think returning will make a huge difference for him. Add in that he has a wife and child I'd go the Peyton Barber route as well. 

Archived