Question about Jimbo’s salary

MDM4AU

Ryan Brown in WJOX mentioned something about Jimbo’s salary not being paid at all from “public funds” but by “Friends of Texas A&M.”  I assume this is boosters or what not. 

If he is not being paid directly by the school, does this shield him from FOI requests? Will he be eligible for any sort of pension? How does all that work?

3 hours ago, MDM4AU said:

Ryan Brown in WJOX mentioned something about Jimbo’s salary not being paid at all from “public funds” but by “Friends of Texas A&M.”  I assume this is boosters or what not. 

If he is not being paid directly by the school, does this shield him from FOI requests? Will he be eligible for any sort of pension? How does all that work?

I expect a great deal of legal thought is being put into making sure that nobody actually gets an answer to that question. 

16 minutes ago, meh130 said:

With $75 guaranteed, why would anyone need a pension?

No joke!

And regardless of where the funds of the salary come from, he is still an employee of aTm and he is subject to FOI requests just like any other employee.

All schools do this.....he is still a state employee technically. His salary just comes the pool of money from all the donors, revenue generated etc. 

in reality it's all the same, but they can show on paper that they aren't using state money. Because you know how that would go over with the media and their spin.

Auburn does something similar with Malzahn I am sure.

18 hours ago, keesler said:

No joke!

And regardless of where the funds of the salary come from, he is still an employee of aTm and he is subject to FOI requests just like any other employee.

And I expect his W-2 will show that TAMU pays him  $8.75 per hour plus OT for working on Saturdays. 

There was a day when lots of top coaches received money directly from sportswear and other sources that was paid directly to the coach and did not pass through the school.  

I'm thinking that most schools stopped doing that but not sure if there are laws or NCAA regs that affect that now.   Otherwise, it would be pretty easy to set up an LLC called HCInc and contract for "non-coaching" services.  The main need however is show that taxpayers are not paying those exorbitant salaries....unless of course, they also happen to be season ticket holders. 

On 12/4/2017 at 11:25 AM, MDM4AU said:

Texas public schools have a sweet pension fund, I wonder if he has to partake in that. @bigbird might know the inside on that

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Texas public schools have a sweet pension fund, I wonder if he has to partake in that. @bigbird might know the inside on that

It is a good program, but I have no idea if he would try to or would even qualify for it.

Archived