2018 5* QB Emory Jones (Ohio St.)

ellitor

Visited AU for the UGA & Bama games.
Chip has been after him hard the past month or so.
21 offers including AU, tOSU, UAt, Clemson, UF, UGa, Miami, & Penn St.

247 Evaluation

Jones is an athletic quarterback who can hurt defenses with his legs, but he prefers to sit in the pocket and use his arm. He has a live arm and he throws a very good deep ball. He can still clean up some of his mechanics, but he can really spin the ball and he sees the field well. He is more mature as a passer than his age and he can read his progressions. He stands tall in the pocket and he is only going to improve.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5-star QB still committed to OSU despite Auburn visits

There’s an argument to be had surrounding this question: Who is Auburn’s top remaining target?

Some may say offensive lineman Trey Hill. Others may consider it to be defensive prospects such as Quay Walker or Andres Fox. It wouldn’t be crazy to refer to top receiver targets Justyn Ross or Anthony Schwartz by that distinction.

But, for the sake of this notebook, a strong case can be made for Ohio State quarterback commit Emory Jones. He has been committed to the Buckeyes since July 29, 2016, so Jones is the central figure of the 2018 class for Ohio State. The 5-star quarterback from Heard County (Ga.) is the No. 27-ranked player in the country by the 247Sports composite.

RELATED: 2018 Auburn recruiting big board

Alabama and Auburn aren’t going away quietly. Jones has visited the Tigers and the Crimson Tide this season.

Should Ohio State be worried?

“I mean, I’m committed there. I am checking out other schools, though,” Jones told SEC Country on Friday night. “When I told them that I was 110 percent committed, I said that I wanted to continue visiting schools. Before I committed, I didn’t get the chance to do so. I think they didn’t really care at the time. When I actually started doing it though, they definitely got worried. But, I’m still committed. As of right now, that’s where I’m going.”

Alabama-Alabama football-Alabama recruiting-Emory Jones
Auburn is still chasing Ohio State quarterback commit Emory Jones. (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

There is a sense of confidence in Auburn and Tuscalossa as it pertains to Jones.

One source told SEC Country they’d be surprised to see Jones end up in Columbus, Ohio. That’s the general feeling in the industry as Jones has entertained Alabama and Auburn this fall. Both programs are close to home, while Ohio State isn’t. It is more common to hear an opinion that Jones will flip than Jones will stick with the Buckeyes.

Jones hears some of that noise, even if he doesn’t totally understand it.

“I mean, I’m committed to Ohio State. I’ve been committed to them for like two years. I think I would have de-committed by now if I wasn’t going there,” Jones said. “I still talk to Coach [Urban] Meyer and the staff all of the time. So, I don’t know why people think that.”

That’s not going to stop Auburn and Alabama from making a push.

Alabama remains without a quarterback in the Class of 2018. Auburn has one in long-time commit Joey Gatewood, but the Tigers have been adamant about adding a second quarterback. Jones is, perhaps, the only reliable option remaining, which has created this battle between Ohio State, Auburn and Alabama.

While Jones says he’s still committed to Ohio State, which he is, he admits he’s still strongly considering Alabama and Auburn — the only two schools he’s considering besides Ohio State.

With Auburn, Jones spoke to Gus Malzahn at length after the “crazy” Iron Bowl.

“I don’t think it was the craziest environment I’ve been to. I think this year’s Ohio State-Penn State game was. That was the craziest game experience I’ve seen. But the Auburn game was definitely crazy,” Jones said. “He was just telling me that Auburn is close to home and that I need to get my mom back up there because she didn’t come with me to that game. He wants to talk to her more, and he wants me to be around the program some more. He just wants me to get comfortable with it.”

Jones remains unsure whether he’ll take any official visits in December.

There will likely be a point this month when he decided to change his mind or shut things down completely.

“I don’t have a set decision date or anything like that. It definitely has to be soon. I just have to make sure everything is good and make sure I’m comfortable with everything,” Jones said.

“When I make that decision on where I’m going, I’m sticking with it. I’m not going to look back.”

3 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

is their really any confidence of getting him to flip ? Insider?

It appears there's very high confidence he will flip. The question is whether it will be us or UAt.  I would not have started this thread if AU did not have a real shot.

35 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I know there were mixed feelings about what JG thought when we were after Fields.  Anyone know how Joey Ballgame feels about Emory potentially coming on board?

no problem

Any kid from the South should spend a February in Columbus.   That place has hands down the worst weather in the winter time.  I have to spend two weeks a year there, one in November, the other in May.  Last year was three weeks in April/May and it was still cloudy, cold and windy.   Even with those two months, it's still 50/50 on the weather being crap or decent  

The wind there blows inbound from all 360 degrees at the same time because it sucks so bad there.   

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I know there were mixed feelings about what JG thought when we were after Fields.  Anyone know how Joey Ballgame feels about Emory potentially coming on board?

Was on board with Fields so don’t see that he’d have issue with Jones.

2 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Was on board with Fields so don’t see that he’d have issue with Jones.

There's mixed thoughts on that. A few connected felt JG would stick regardless. Others connected felt JG would flip if we snagged JF. With Joey signing with AU in 2 weeks & enrolling in January I think he's really dialed in with AU now regardless if we get EJ or not.

Lost his 5th star ⭐️ on Rivals. Still ranked 27 overall and #2 DT QB.

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals100-update-four-new-five-stars-qbs-remain-on-top

“Jones has been a top recruit since he was a freshman, so he has been watched closely the last three years. He is a quarterback who has a lot to like, but he needs to develop, and really get to that next level as a passer. He can drive the ball down the field and he can buy time with his legs, but how he improves his accuracy will determine just how good the Ohio State commitment is on the next level.” – Simmons[\quote]

"How Joey will feel...". 

I am not saying Joey is feeling this way, I don't know Joey.

If I were Joey Ballgame with his skill set, I would be ecstatic, period.   he has the talent to develop into a great QB maybe and if not, God blessed him with the body and athleticism to be a TE or ???  If he isn't throwing the ball, he will probably be on the field.  Almost no QB prospects can have a back-up plan.

The kid is in a no-lose situation.

The dude is a freak.  

What level of competition does he play against?  Those throws on the run are ridiculous.   And maybe he isn't over-powering throws b/c he is a little weak for a D1 QB b/c he is in HS, but he seems to have great ability to toss the ball with loft  vs. trying to thread a needle without need!  WOW

Hmmmm. Just glad we are recruiting DT QBs . Seems that his the preference of Gus. Again, the PREFERENCE, not the rule for you folks quick to point out about SW. 

I've read where several on this board feel if he doesn't make it at QB he has the body and skill set to move to TE. If I were JG and they moved me to TE I would transfer that very day. We've already showed how big a role TE's play in our offense.

6 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I've read where several on this board feel if he doesn't make it at QB he has the body and skill set to move to TE. If I were JG and they moved me to TE I would transfer that very day. We've already showed how big a role TE's play in our offense.

We haven't had a TE we could use in the O as a pass catcher since CJU although we didn't use him enough.

He sure didn't sound that excited about Auburn in the interview that was posted. But guess there must be something there for folks to be talking about him. I certainly support bringing in another QB in this class. 

45 minutes ago, gravejd said:

He sure didn't sound that excited about Auburn in the interview that was posted. But guess there must be something there for folks to be talking about him. I certainly support bringing in another QB in this class. 

I am sure with Gus' new deal and our ability to play and win championships, most any great talent would have to consider choosing Auburn.   

If I were him -

UF?  Mullen has had one great season with a phenom NFL QB.  What else and the pieces aren't in place.  Not stable yet.

OSU - they are loaded, play a strong schedule and freeze all Spring and avoid the outdoors from Dec til Spring break.

Auburn - all the pieces are place, 4-5 yrs of top 10 recruiting classes and SEC football in his backyard.  Easy for family to see him

and....Auburn is gaining some swagger as of late.

27 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am sure with Gus' new deal and our ability to play and win championships, most any great talent would have to consider choosing Auburn.   

If I were him -

UF?  Mullen has had one great season with a phenom NFL QB.  What else and the pieces aren't in place.  Not stable yet.

OSU - they are loaded, play a strong schedule and freeze all Spring and avoid the outdoors from Dec til Spring break.

Auburn - all the pieces are place, 4-5 yrs of top 10 recruiting classes and SEC football in his backyard.  Easy for family to see him

and....Auburn is gaining some swagger as of late.

Bama is the other team involved, not UF.

Archived